IGNORED

Flashback 25th Anniversary Collector's Edition

Rick Dangerous

Anyone excited for this? Got most of the way through it on my Jag but have never beaten it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3ZWNVQ/?coliid=I226JGZLMT3J3R&colid=3C9JYID8UW0H3&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Makes me hopeful that maybe they'll do a physical copy of Another World for Switch.

I've heard this game is so mind blowingly advanced that it's like a CD-ROM game on a cartridge!!

I loved Flashback & Out of This World but I haven't played either in years. I wouldn't say I'm excited but I do like the fact that games like these are even coming to the Switch. I probably won't pick it up day 1 but after it drops a little I might. Now for someone who's never played it at all I'd say it's definitely a worthy day 1 purchase.

Edited by homerj

I used to really dig both those games, but I don't feel for my tastes they've aged enough, especially to be forced into buying a collector's box for a higher rate for fluff toys. Strange there's no standard release.

I've got Ys 8 coming, haven't had a reason to turn my Switch on for awhile so I've been cruising netflix lately. :P

After that there's whenever they arrive -- Monsterboy, SNK Heroines, Dark Souls too. And whenver LRG pre-orders up Golf Story and Yooka Laylee I'll end up buying one if not both(YL may just GoG as I keep reading problems about how it plays/flows.)

• Like 1

I am extremely skeptical about a USA release on this one to be honest. Microids (the UK publisher) had stated previously that there would be no physical release in the USA for this game. I pre-ordered it from the UK and my copy shipped a few days ago. I have been watching for the USA release but the only place it could be found for pre-order is Amazon. Nintendo's site displays a bunch of locations to get this game (Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Gamestop) but none of these locations have it listed for pre-order at all. Only Amazon, and the rest of the internet says nothing in regard to a USA release coming.

I know Maximum Games (the USA publisher that is listed on Amazon as handling this game) has brought one lone Microids title to the USA (Gear Club) but they do not mention Flashback on their page either.

I could be wrong, but I bet Amazon cancels pre-orders on this...just like Gamestop did for Little Nightmares.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I already own it on the Switch physically (have had it for a few weeks) and it is great! I was (am) a huge fan of this game from the Genesis days so it was a natural purchase for me. The collectors edition is numbered, and 40,000 are supposed to have been produced in total. I think mine is 16,000-something.

I still have doubts this is coming here to the USA though. Still to this day Amazon is the only online retailer taking pre-orders, and not a word spoken anywhere else of a retail release stateside. Amazon cancelled pre-orders of Redout for the Switch today and nixed the page, so they are not beyond doing stuff like this. We'll see, but I still believe the same is going to happen with this game too.

Edited by eightbit

I played through part of the last stage on my Jag back in the 90s, but never finished it.

I had been following the Switch release on Amazon and I'm sure it had a late June release listed before. I went to Best Buy on the day it had been saying on Amazon and they didn't find it in their system. I looked it up on Amazon while talking with the employee and the date had changed to July 13th (or something like that). I see that it's changed again to July 31st. After reading this thread, I'm getting skeptical of a US release, so I went ahead and just now ordered from Europe (along with MotoGP 18). I really wish we got more physical releases here in the US. I've had to import about 10 or so games from the EU so far.

That's too bad about RedOut. I've been following that one since the Switch launch. I kept checking Gamestop every so often, only to keep finding the release date being pushed back. I see it's not listed at all on their site anymore, same as amazon. I was also disappointed to see Syberia 3 drop off the radar. It had been listed as release date TBD for quite a while, but I don't know if it's still coming or not.

Perhaps not a popular opinion, but Flashback was one of the biggest disappointments for me at the time. When Another World dropped it was just...really another world, something so fresh and amazing it blew us away. So, unsurprisingly the expectations for the sequel were sky high, but Flashback turned out to be just another platformer. Great gfx/sfx and solid gameplay, but nothing like the groundbreaking original.

No wonder, since the guy who created it almost singlehandedly - Eric Chahi - was not on board.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, not looking so good for the NA release. Today was "release day" for the USA physical release on Amazon, and up until last night it was set to release on 7/31. I had it pre-ordered but I figured something was wrong because Amazon usually ships before the release date. Now it is listed as "usually ships between 1 to 2 months". I suspected as much.

You can wait and hope for it, or just order the Euro copy while it is still available.

I thought they were both pretty good. But yes another world definitely more hard hitting from an artistic standpoint.

I though the game-play mechanics of Flashback were just a bit deeper.

You say deeper, I say fussy and inelegant -- especially compared to Another World. I liked it well enough way back when, I suppose. It was ported to everything.

The most disappointing to me was the 3D sequel, "Fade to Black." Nobody is remaking that, but I wonder if the concept could be saved and reworked into a better game?

Huh ... another 2D Flashback game was in development for Gameboy Advance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fade_to_Black_(video_game)

You say deeper, I say fussy and inelegant -- especially compared to Another World. I liked it well enough way back when, I suppose. It was ported to everything.

The most disappointing to me was the 3D sequel, "Fade to Black." Nobody is remaking that, but I wonder if the concept could be saved and reworked into a better game?

Someone did for Dreamcast, it seems. https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10948

Your post rattled something in my brain.

• Like 1

The most disappointing to me was the 3D sequel, "Fade to Black."

I kind of liked it, maybe even more than Flashback itself, not quite sure why though. Maybe because I have great sentiment for early PSX 3D games? I liked the overall atmosphere too. Fun fact: even though it's by no means my favourite game , the original ended up in my suitcase by a weird string of coincidences and eneded up traveling to the other side of the globe with me.

Another World itself did actually have a direct sequel, called Heart Of The Alien, released for Sega CD, of all platforms. Mr Chahi was not involved though. He himself designded Heart Of Darkness - cool game I meant to play since forever but never got around to. Which reminds me - I do have an active PSX connected atm...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to cancel my amazon order for Switch 20th Anniversary Flashback due to it now saying ships in 1-2 months and because I thought if it shipped at all it would probably be the EU version... but it arrived Friday actual North American release. I havent opened it yet, but look forward to playing it.

Now this means I have a spare EU version. If anyone would like it at cost, let me know. I may end up posting it in the for sale forum.

Edited by KevinMos3

• 1 month later...

Really nice package. If I had one gripe it would be that the manual doesn't fit in either case. Why they would make a manual that needs to remain loose is beyond me, but it's hard to complain for the price. Definitely going to hang onto this one and give it a play through soon, and then probably on Jaguar again after :)

post-38373-0-96127800-1537797032_thumb.jpg

Microids really F'ed this one up. Not only does the manual not fit anywhere (except the cardboard box) but the steelbook case does not fit the game card properly. The area that the card is supposed to clip in to is molded too wide.

I understand the manual a bit....they were trying to go for a manual the size of a Genesis manual. Great. What they should have done was mold a Genesis style plastic case that fits the manual and the game card. That would have been better.

So, manual is too big, steelbook is useless for game storage, and the soundtrack is a digital download. Bah.

I mean, I am glad to have a physical copy of this game to add to the collection, but I will be rethinking buying other Microids "Collector Edition" sets in the future....at least at retail price.

• Like 2