IGNORED

Nintendo and Hamster release Arcade Archives Donkey Kong for Switch

empsolo

Wow no more complaining why they can't release it anymore. That's good. Means Dk Jr is around the corner too.

Hamster not only released DK but that DK jr and Sky Skipper of all games are coming soon. Personally, I hope that this means that we might get to see release a release of Radarscope. Edited by empsolo
  • Like 2

Some gameplay footage is in their livestream. Looks like it was emulated pretty solidly, much like the rest of Hamster's recent work.

Can't link to the specific spot since it's still underway. Only seems to let me do that if it's an archive.

Edited by Atariboy

Judging by a YouTube comment in a gameplay video, there might not be a rotate option in this currently.

There definitely is (as I stated above).. although I haven't tried it on a tv yet to be honest.

<edit> pic

post-31-0-45028800-1529031524_thumb.jpg

Edited by NE146
  • Like 4

I wanted to change the pic to this better one, but can't edit anymore since I'm not an elite member. :P

but anyway, yeah you don't get the artwork, but I love how with the Switch's design it pretty much becomes another "Mini-cade" for all intents and purposes. :)

u6NaNBD.jpg

• Like 4

Sweet. Can you rotate the screen on these? I'm imagining flipping my 50" HDTV on its side for the biggest, baddest DK experience the world has ever seen.

Ooh nice, look at the launch options.

f2kpnvbq8zubhhif0h9i.jpg

I'm not sure the difference (if any) between the gameplay of the Later and International versions. The "early" version is Japanese stage order:

1-2-3-4 rinse and repeat.

The "later" version is US stage order:

1-4

1-3-4

1-2-3-4

1-2-1-3-4

1-2-1-3-1-4

I never liked the US stage order as it always felt unbalanced. Most people never got to see the Pie factory, and starting with loop 5 and beyond, every other stage is barrels. The US game also has higher difficulty. Or at least I seem to get killed faster in US mode. :dunce:

• Like 1

I wanted to change the pic to this better one, but can't edit anymore since I'm not an elite member. :P

but anyway, yeah you don't get the artwork, but I love how with the Switch's design it pretty much becomes another "Mini-cade" for all intents and purposes. :)

u6NaNBD.jpg

Somebody will create a one off Donkey Kong themed minicade for the switch tablet, I am sure of it.
  • Like 1

It runs and plays beautifully. No discernible input lag (unlike Vs. Super Mario Bros.). I have only two very minor gripes:

1. They're using samples, rather than emulating the arcade's analog sound generators. This is most obvious in the squeaking noise when Mario walks or climbs. On the arcade hardware, it's played with various different pitches, but this version just has one sample used for all squeaks.

2. Where's Crazy Kong??? :)

But otherwise, two thumbs up.

• Like 2

It runs and plays beautifully. No discernible input lag (unlike Vs. Super Mario Bros.). I have only two very minor gripes:

1. They're using samples, rather than emulating the arcade's analog sound generators. This is most obvious in the squeaking noise when Mario walks or climbs. On the arcade hardware, it's played with various different pitches, but this version just has one sample used for all squeaks.

2. Where's Crazy Kong??? :)

But otherwise, two thumbs up.

As for the samples, MAME operates this way too. At least the version I has running on my Raspberry Pi arcade did. I seem to remember the steps being higher pitched in videos I have seen.

As for Crazy Kong, I beleive that was unlicensed?

As for the samples, MAME operates this way too. At least the version I has running on my Raspberry Pi arcade did. I seem to remember the steps being higher pitched in videos I have seen.

As for Crazy Kong, I beleive that was unlicensed?

There's some debate about Crazy Kong. I've seen some claims that it was an officially licensed clone. According to this, the arrangement only lasted a few months:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=14413211357527714092&q=564+F.+Supp.+937&hl=en&as_sdt=2,5

I have no idea how close to, or how it relates, but wasn't there a Kongorilla too? I keep thinking I saw one at a 7-11 back when I was a kid, but nowhere else. Don't remember much, though I think you could walk through the gorilla without dying.

I don't have a Switch, but I'd buy original Donkey Kong in a second.