IGNORED

SIO2SD Daisy Chain Question

I'm sure this is pretty simple but I can't figure out the problem...

1050 toggle switches set to be D2.

1050 plugged into my 800XL

SIO2SD plugged into 1050 to be D1.

When I power up I just get "Boot Error" along with a horrible beeping.

Does the 1050 always have to be D1?

Also...

If I have to set the SIO2SD to be D2, what do I type at the READY prompt to get the XL to look towards it?

Thank you and excuse my ignorance!

Edited by koolmoecraig

No. It usually means that you don't have a boot disk image in the SIO2SD or you don't have your SIO2SD set as D1:.

Try putting the SIO2SD directly into your Atari with the same disk image and see if it will boot.

Allan

No. It usually means that you don't have a boot disk image in the SIO2SD or you don't have your SIO2SD set as D1:.

Try putting the SIO2SD directly into your Atari with the same disk image and see if it will boot.

Allan

Thanks for the reply, Allan.

Yeah, directly plugged into my 800XL, the SIO2SD works fine. Loader comes up and I can select games with the joystick perfectly.

Not sure what i could be doing wrong.

Try turning off the SIO2SD menu auto-load setting and put a DOS ATR into the D1 slot of the SIO2SD. Then turn on the system with the Option key held down like you're booting a normal DOS disk. That should work in theory.

That said, I have had some difficulty in getting my system to recognize my 1050 when it was set as D2 and the SIO2SD as D1. It worked a couple of times in that configuration and then just stopped seeing the 1050 altogether. Eventually I ended up setting the 1050 as D1 and the SIO2SD as D2 and then everything functioned fine. I'd rather have it set the other way around but at least everything worked so I gave up stressing about it.

Try turning off the SIO2SD menu auto-load setting and put a DOS ATR into the D1 slot of the SIO2SD. Then turn on the system with the Option key held down like you're booting a normal DOS disk. That should work in theory.

That said, I have had some difficulty in getting my system to recognize my 1050 when it was set as D2 and the SIO2SD as D1. It worked a couple of times in that configuration and then just stopped seeing the 1050 altogether. Eventually I ended up setting the 1050 as D1 and the SIO2SD as D2 and then everything functioned fine. I'd rather have it set the other way around but at least everything worked so I gave up stressing about it.

When you have the 1050 as D1 and the SIO2SD as D2, how do you trigger reading the SIO2SD?

I think that I was reading your question wrong as well. I assumed that you were looking to copy from floppy to the SIO2SD or visa-versa.

Can't you just - LOAD "D2:PROGRAM.BAS" ? I assume that program names would have to be in 8 character format for this though.

I think that I was reading your question wrong as well. I assumed that you were looking to copy from floppy to the SIO2SD or visa-versa.

Can't you just - LOAD "D2:PROGRAM.BAS" ? I assume that program names would have to be in 8 character format for this though.

Yeah, that's what i would have thought but that just gives me Error 130.

Also (and this might sound a bit blasphemous to the purists) I honestly cannot see much point to having the SIO2SD and 1050 daisy-chained full time. Once I backed up all of my floppies onto the SIO2SD's card, I packed my 1050 away for safe keeping. The SIO2SD is the only drive(s) that I use at the moment.

Yeah, that's what i would have thought but that just gives me Error 130.

I don't understand why you would be getting this error. Both the 1050 and the SIO2SD will read and load correctly when set as D1 and NOT daisy-chained together? Will DOS read the SIO2SD as D2 when they're connected?

Yes. Got it working! As far as I can tell I didn't have the SIO cable in far enough.

I feel your pain, my friend. Recently, I thought that my SIO2SD LCD display was going bad and it turned out that the SIO cable wasn't quite pushed in all of the way. I felt like a nincompoop; glad to see that I am not the only one to have this sort of problem!

I am happy to hear that you got your problem figured out, BTW. :)

Thank you.

I really appreciate this forum and how willing everyone is to share their knowledge.

My father had cerebral palsy and couldn't do normal activities like sports with me as a child. He bought me an Atari 800 instead and would watch me play and help me program the type-in games from magazines. Pretty much all of our bonding was because of video games.

When the Intellivision came out, I saved money from mowing lawns and whatnot and bought it for him. Because of the disk controller he was finally able to enjoy playing video games. He loved mostly strategy games since he didn't have to worry about fast reflexes.

Since he passed I have had a renewed interest in in both old systems. Just trying to re-learn everything I have forgotten over the years.

• Like 3