IGNORED

SNUG BwG floppy controller schematics?

OLD CS1

Anyone have schematics for the SNUG BwG? Suddenly external drives no longer work and I suspect I might have harmed a 74xx chip :(

I still have not gotten around to building a Shugart break-out board but I think that shall be moved up on my list.

There is a good picture of the board on the SNUG site.

I will check it out. I can pull mine again and reverse it if I have to, I just want a chance to mull it over, first.

Before it gets asked, I have SW3 and SW4 "ON" to enable DSK1-DSK4.

The schematic has been very edifying. It never occurred to me the WD1773 does not have a concept of sides as many times as I have reviewed the datasheet, but then I also never had to do anything this involved. I simply assumed based upon my knowledge of the Amiga floppy system and lack of deeper investigation of the WD117x-based Commodore 1571 and 1581. As well, the schematics have helped me work up a preliminary design for both passive and active floppy break-out boxes -- now to just get that translated from my brain and into KiCad.

While, yes, a 74xx chip could have been responsible for my woes, it turns out, as is often the case, the problem is much simpler: the external cable connection to the BwG card-edge connector. The fingers were heavily corroded before and I scrubbed and cleaned them up to get things working with one particular cable I have on-hand. However, I have not been using that cable and was using both a cable I made and another pre-made cable.

I am not certain if there is an electrical connection problem between the card-edge fingers and the cable connector or a problem with the two cables. Going with the simplest solution I believe it is a problem with the interface of the two. I have scrubbed, fluxed, and tinned the fingers to try to alleviate but to little avail. I still have to connect the cable at a wonky angle for my test external drive to operate.

It is a comfort to know I have not damaged the electronics of the BwG.