IGNORED

Pac Man Arcade 5200

christo930

I was checking out the Pac Man 5200 arcade release last night (though on an emulator), I thought it was absolutely outstanding. It really captured the look and feel of the arcade classic and is better than the standard release on the 5200 in every way. The sounds are great, the graphics were greatly improved, the Monsters behave the way the arcade version behaved.

In short, the graphics are better, the sounds are better, the gameplay more closely replicates the feel of the arcade version and it's a blast to play. Not sure how well the 5200 controllers will perform (my 5200 is put away), but with one of the better joysticks, this is as close to the arcade as you can get with a contemporary games machine from the era!

My ONLY beef so far with this game is that it doesn't include the regional options and it would be nice to see it released as a collection with both Pac Man and Ms Pac Man!

Congratulations to the team for a job well done! I will probably pick up a copy of this game!

• Like 4

Speaking about Pacman..I would like to see Baby Pacman for the 5200!

Bob is currently doing Baby Pacman for the 7800 and it looks fantastic, or at least as fantastic as that game can look.

Baby Pacman was actually on my "games to make wish-list" but Bob stole my thunder. Maybe after I see his version I'll be inspired to try it. If I ask really nicely, maybe he'll even give me the code and I can do a semi-port of his version.

• Like 2

Bob is currently doing Baby Pacman for the 7800 and it looks fantastic, or at least as fantastic as that game can look.

Baby Pacman was actually on my "games to make wish-list" but Bob stole my thunder. Maybe after I see his version I'll be inspired to try it. If I ask really nicely, maybe he'll even give me the code and I can do a semi-port of his version.

This would be great, especially with built in POKEY.:)

My plan at the time was actually to do Pac n Pal and an original pinball game first, (I had this weird idea for "Countermeasure Pinball") then after having done both a Pacman game and a pinball game, combine what I learned to do Baby Pacman.

Somehow I ended up on this curling project instead.

• Like 1

That great news for the 5200 if he does! Btw does your curling game work on flash cart?

Btw does your curling game work on flash cart?

Yes, that's how I test on real hardware.

To address the original topic, Pacman Arcade is incredibly awesome. I bought it a few weeks ago from the store and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

I was listening to your podcast and the author said he released the full rom (I have the demo version). Do you happen to know where it is?

Hi, I bought the cartridge from the Atari Age Store but you can contact TEP392 to see if he cant help you out.

Thank for listening to the podcast :)

Edited by Protestari

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, Tofana10am said:

Did you ever find the 5200 ROM.  I can’t seem to find it myself and would appreciate some help.  Thanks!

I searched long and hard and never found it.

I finally decided I have plenty good versions of Pac-Man I can play and just let it go. Good luck though!

1 hour ago, xefned said:

I searched long and hard and never found it.

I finally decided I have plenty good versions of Pac-Man I can play and just let it go. Good luck though!

Thanks for letting me know.  It shouldn’t be this hard.  

Anyone have any leads?  Tep392, is your 5200 ROM still available for download?

thanks!

On 2/22/2020 at 5:10 PM, Tofana10am said:

Thanks for letting me know.  It shouldn’t be this hard.  

Anyone have any leads?  Tep392, is your 5200 ROM still available for download?

thanks!

I reached out to TEP392 directly about this and he replied that he has not posted the 5200 ROM file to the forum as the cartridge is still up for sale in the AA shop.  He said that the 8-bit version is fundamentally the same, so if you can get that up and running you’re not missing anything... just not playable on the 5200.

On 2/25/2020 at 7:27 AM, Tofana10am said:

I reached out to TEP392 directly about this and he replied that he has not posted the 5200 ROM file to the forum as the cartridge is still up for sale in the AA shop.  He said that the 8-bit version is fundamentally the same, so if you can get that up and running you’re not missing anything... just not playable on the 5200.

Years ago when he first released this he offered the rom for purchase instead of purchasing a cart. I was one who purchased the rom. It's excellent.