IGNORED

Tiger Electronics Handhelds

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2018 at 5:37 AM, PikoInteractive said:

Anybody remember those?

Did you liked/hated them?

I wonder if there is any interest from the retro gaming community on those?

Of course I remember them. I had Shinobi and my brother had Simon´s Quest. I loved electronic games when I was a young kid. But when we got an NES it was all over.

We also had quite a few Game & Watch games from Nintendo. Those are quite collectible now. I think they are worth $50-100 or something like that. Tiger Electronics games are not as collectible, but certainly worth more than $2.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, after finding this non-working beauty on ebay, some corrosion clean up, wire replacement, one part replacement, a bit of soldering and contact cleaning......it's now fully functional again! Now.....if I only knew how to play it! Anybody have this manual? Could you shoot me a PDF?

16192296543658720242598765671594.jpg

• Haha 1

It was this site or VGS but someone for the longest time was trying to sell that one along with some other Tiger handhelds, this one sat, may still be for sale even wherever it was.  I asked the same question as I was confused how an investigation works on well...that.  Seemingly it does and not bad.  I don't remember what I was told exactly how it did it, but it's not your usual segmented combat but more of a straight up investigation so you do have to think which is a unique change for that format.

Maybe archive org has a scanned or typed copy of the manual or one of those docs sites.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/16/2018 at 8:51 AM, FOX2600 said:

There is definitely a scene for tiger handheld collectors, but its a niche market within an even nicher market, but Damn do some of them take it seriously, ive seen insane prices for tiger handhelds on eBay especially when sealed but even loose. I dont think anything compares to the Nintendo game & watch collecting community though, get ready to throw down some ca$h if youre interested in those, but they can all be emulated and theres been various re releases and game boy and DS with the game & watch collections.

I have a few of them, my favorite being Ace Ventura pet detective (I really want the When nature calls one though!) and I got beauty and the beast which actually is kinda fun, and American Gladiators.

My favorites are the ones based on movies & TV like the home alone one you got. But I love the Full House, Waynes World, Congo, and Dennis the Menace ones too. The weirdest yet coolest one, and also rare and expensive has to be the MC Hammer tiger handheld!

But if youre into the LCD handhelds I recommend googling and checking out handheld empire and handheld museum, because there were LOADS of other companies besides Tiger who made fun little handhelds, great resources. Oh and theres a tiger handheld emulator online that looks fun too, and a microvision one.

Also check out handheldgamefan89 on YouTube, big time collector and reviewer of tiger & Konami handhelds, hes cool.

Well back then i never had a tiger electronics hand held,no game & watch and no gameboy (eventrough i wanted a gameboy sooo bad because of being handy during lunch times on school or during roadtrips)

eventrough i did got two handhelds with a shooting game a jumping game on them(can’t remember the brand name of them except that they were red and yellow colered),but those games did got boring pretty quickly,

however ever since the early 00’s i do own a original gameboy and i recently also did purchased a game & watch handheld with the game ball in it,a tiger electronics handheld with a volleyball game in it and a mattel Computer gin handheld with a card game in it,and whether they’re cool or not,i do see a huge historical value in those handhelds and am glad i bought them anyway,

dann if only i had those handhelds back then not only would it had fit better to my situations at that time but i definitely would,ve had waaay more plessure with those handhelds

AAE4AD39-41F5-4264-B50B-7D4A5E026572.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Aargh! It has begun! While looking on eBay for R-Zone games I found a couple of the Tiger handhelds, so I thought I'd get them because they were cheap. I'm guessing it's because they were sports titles, but one of them is not on the Handheld Museum. I'm looking for the kinds that have a + pad and two vertical bar buttons. More pics if you want when they come.

I like them, because they're bad, or more specifically so odd, the Doug one has a "Doug" , anyway I've got like 20 in my misc handhelds draw, 

8 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Aargh! It has begun! While looking on eBay for R-Zone games I found a couple of the Tiger handhelds, so I thought I'd get them because they were cheap. I'm guessing it's because they were sports titles, but one of them is not on the Handheld Museum. I'm looking for the kinds that have a + pad and two vertical bar buttons. More pics if you want when they come.

The r-zone is annoying as the most common version is actually painful to use, but it has cartridges which makes it in theory fun to collect, 

It was super fun to own the thing until I found that getting the games became and ever increasing toxic pit of stupidity.  When I saw it would cost me some NES level style prices to get the more decent stuff I checked out as classic segmented LCD style games are NOT worth that price nostalgia or not.

2 games came today. They're my first two in what I hope to be someday a large collection.

Shaq Attaq: Monster Jam. - I don't know how to play this. It looks like all it is is Shaq dunking all the time.

Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf. - Is there actually any fighting at all in this? If Lee had to fight off alligators on the golf course while golfing, I'd like this game.

I didn't know that the buttons on the right could be doubled. Like Shaq Attack actually has a dpad and four buttons (like an R-Zone), while Lee Trevino only has 2.

And I wonder if someone could possibly make a homebrew game like a Tiger handheld some day. I thought forever Microvision games were impossible, but nope. There's going to be one actually for sale at some point.

4 hours ago, atari2600land said:

2 games came today. They're my first two in what I hope to be someday a large collection.

Shaq Attaq: Monster Jam. - I don't know how to play this. It looks like all it is is Shaq dunking all the time.

Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf. - Is there actually any fighting at all in this? If Lee had to fight off alligators on the golf course while golfing, I'd like this game.

I didn't know that the buttons on the right could be doubled. Like Shaq Attack actually has a dpad and four buttons (like an R-Zone), while Lee Trevino only has 2.

And I wonder if someone could possibly make a homebrew game like a Tiger handheld some day. I thought forever Microvision games were impossible, but nope. There's going to be one actually for sale at some point.

http://www.madrigaldesign.it/sim/    Been at it like 20 years plus at this rate.  LCD, VFD, LED of all sorts and sizes, companies makes and models.

The screen would be the hard part of a single function handheld, but if someone was willing to have the screens made, I see no reason why not do a homebrew (though little reason why either, prestige?)

Micro vision has the advantage the screen is a preexisting part, your just making a cart to interact with the screen and controls

Something like game wizard, is a weird bastardized hybrid between the two, it uses carts, but the single function screen is part of the cart, while the console is just a battery box with buttons (kinda like rzone)

I didn't really like the double button games, don't get me wrong, they worked fine, but it always felt wrong to have a single large pill shaped button that was actually two buttons in a rocker. I'm sure it was a cost thing, as Tiger electronics could use the same mold for 2 and 4 button games.