IGNORED

what are my options on this tandy 1000 tx

just took this in on trade

it boots but I cant get any farther than it looking for system disk

it does have an internal hdd but its long toast

and it did come with some dos /basic disks but the 3.5 drive just grinds and complains lol

do standard 35 drives work

will a gotek work

what about a cf hdd kit

what do I need to get her going again

post-63035-0-92400100-1529187891_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-18447900-1529187910_thumb.jpg

The TX was a 286 bolted to an XT with enhanced PC Jr. graphics. Quite a strange but very nice machine!

You probably need an XT IDE adapter for a CF card, which are readily available on eBay.

Yes a standard 720K floppy should work. Just check the cable some earlier Tandies didnt use the twisted cable to identify the first drive.

Yes a Gotek will work.

The TX was a 286 bolted to an XT with enhanced PC Jr. graphics. Quite a strange but very nice machine!

You probably need an XT IDE adapter for a CF card, which are readily available on eBay.

Yes a standard 720K floppy should work. Just check the cable some earlier Tandies didnt use the twisted cable to identify the first drive.

Yes a Gotek will work.

thanks

from what I understand the 1000 floppy gets power from the cable

is this a problem for a gotek (do I need to alter the cable to cut the power and then run a power connector from the ps

thanks

from what I understand the 1000 floppy gets power from the cable

is this a problem for a gotek (do I need to alter the cable to cut the power and then run a power connector from the ps

I'm going through the exact same thing with a PS/2 and a floppy emulator right now. It's a problem only if you just plug the cable in to your Gotek as is and expect it to work (and not potentially damage your Gotek). What you need to do is get the pinout, find out which wires are carrying the power and ground, then get a 4 pin molex to floppy power adapter, cut off one end and solder the power and ground wires from the floppy cable to the floppy power adapter. So in the end you have a Y-cable with a standard floppy connector and a standard floppy power connector on one end.

I'm going through the exact same thing with a PS/2 and a floppy emulator right now. It's a problem only if you just plug the cable in to your Gotek as is and expect it to work (and not potentially damage your Gotek). What you need to do is get the pinout, find out which wires are carrying the power and ground, then get a 4 pin molex to floppy power adapter, cut off one end and solder the power and ground wires from the floppy cable to the floppy power adapter. So in the end you have a Y-cable with a standard floppy connector and a standard floppy power connector on one end.

The TX has at least one 4-pin molex connector from the power supply. Use a Y-adapter with the mini-molex connector on one end and a standard molex on the other end. No soldering required. You will however have to punch holes in those wires in the ribbon cable that carry power and untwist the twist in the cable.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so I got my xt- ide card in and have a 8gb cf card

but im going crazy on finding a way to make a bootable dos hdd using this setup

without a working xt computer , I need to write a dos image to the cf card that will boot on the 1000

anyone have a img I can write to the cf card using windows

Edited by discgolfer72