IGNORED

Tunnels Of Doom

BuckoBrand

Hey guys! So in this topic, we will talk about the game, Tunnels of Doom. Now, Tunnels of Doom is my favorite game. I like to play as Fighter. I like to go 3 levels deep. Tell me what you like to do, and I will try it! Brave like :spidey: ! I like Quest of the King. Tell me what you like!!! 5 levels deep, rogue, you name it! I'll try it!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Tunnels of Doom is my favorite game is all time on the TI. It and PARSEC are the two games I vividly recall playing when I was younger. I can't think of anything to tell you to try on a stock ToD but I will challenge you to give Shift 838's custom ToD adventures a try.

http://shift838.wixsite.com/shift838/ti-994a-software

• Like 1

Tunnels of Doom (ToD) was the first computer role playing game (CRPG) I ever played. Heck it was the first *role playing game* I ever played. It was 13 years old and I had never been exposed to any RPG like D&D or anything else out at the time, and I was totally captivated by ToD. I remember reading the description on the box and did not even understand half of what it was saying, but it sounded fantastic! I played that game for hours! I think I always played as the single-player Hero, and I always played Quest of the King.

I started with dungeons from 3 to 5 levels, then 6 to 8 levels, and finally worked my way up to a full 10 level dungeon. I remember when I found the War-Ball and Chain, that was my favorite weapon! It took a long time to finish, but it was really fun. I was careful to save my game often, since sometimes my computer would crash because I would bump the expansion unit connector. :-(

Good times! Try a 5 or 6 level dungeon. Be careful and go slow. Make sure you have rations so you can heal, and don't trust those greedy Statues! ;-)

• Like 1

Hey guys! So in this topic, we will talk about the game, Tunnels of Doom. Now, Tunnels of Doom is my favorite game. I like to play as Fighter. I like to go 3 levels deep. Tell me what you like to do, and I will try it! Brave like :spidey: ! I like Quest of the King. Tell me what you like!!! 5 levels deep, rogue, you name it! I'll try it!

Awesome. I love Tunnels of Doom, one of my favorite games. I have 15 I have recently released for FREE on disk images. Medieval Games I, II and III. got to my site HERE to download.

• Like 1

One of the best D&D like games ever created! And so cool it's a TI exclusive. Have great memories playing it with my friends all huddled around my computer desk and 13" TV BITD. Been so long, should boot it up one of these days. Still have the original tape and cassette drive, but did "rip" the tape to CD years and years ago too. :)

There are a lot of other data files for ToD out there. Shift838 has linked you his... some good stuff. I find them more challenging than Quest for the King.

Here is a quest I created: https://github.com/jedimatt42/ti-99-tod-games/tree/master/Tod-ForestOfRuins

Instead of going into a dungeon, the idea is that you are going deeper into a dark forest. I tried to animate the attack motions of the player characters more. And there are 8 quest items you have to recover.

I like to either play a full party, or for an extra challenge, try to play as a single character / party of 1. Full dungeon depth... you can always save :)

-M@

• Like 1

I like Quest For The King. I had to look up a manual to figure out how to play, but it's a good dungeon crawler. It was a cool concept that the cartridge would contain the game "engine" and the scenarios would be stored separately and loaded in--it's too bad it was effectively killed in the crib and TI never released any more TOD games.

The only thing that kind of annoys me about TOD is that I have the disk version, and it's the only disk software for the TI that I have, so I have to have my gigantic PBox out just to run that one game. :lol: (Maybe it's my lack of disk software that's annoying? :ponder:)

I actually have an original Doom Games 1 (Asgard Software) disk, as well. I was a little disappointed that so little was done in the way of graphics alteration, but it's still nifty.

• 5 months later...

Tunnels of Doom (ToD) was the first computer role playing game (CRPG) I ever played. Heck it was the first *role playing game* I ever played. It was 13 years old and I had never been exposed to any RPG like D&D or anything else out at the time, and I was totally captivated by ToD. I remember reading the description on the box and did not even understand half of what it was saying, but it sounded fantastic! I played that game for hours! I think I always played as the single-player Hero, and I always played Quest of the King.

I started with dungeons from 3 to 5 levels, then 6 to 8 levels, and finally worked my way up to a full 10 level dungeon. I remember when I found the War-Ball and Chain, that was my favorite weapon! It took a long time to finish, but it was really fun. I was careful to save my game often, since sometimes my computer would crash because I would bump the expansion unit connector. :-(

Good times! Try a 5 or 6 level dungeon. Be careful and go slow. Make sure you have rations so you can heal, and don't trust those greedy Statues! ;-)

Okey dokey. I'll try it, almost 6 months after your post. :) Don't worry, I hate the statues. :)

• Like 3

OK, here's a challenge: see how far you can get with just 1 wizard! Strategy must be very different than with a Hero or a party.

The only thing that kind of annoys me about TOD is that I have the disk version, and it's the only disk software for the TI that I have, so I have to have my gigantic PBox out just to run that one game. :lol: (Maybe it's my lack of disk software that's annoying? :ponder:)

IIRC Unlike most games where you can save your game in play.

When you save your place in TOD the entire game is saved!

Thus saving to CS1 from the 1st move will convert the entire game to cassette.

They don't tell you that loading the game first makes this redundant! :lol:

IIRC Unlike most games where you can save your game in play.

When you save your place in TOD the entire game is saved!

Thus saving to CS1 from the 1st move will convert the entire game to cassette.

They don't tell you that loading the game first makes this redundant! :lol:

Did not know that... Thanks for the info!

Great!

I gave it a try. Restocked QUEST (2 levels) on Easy. I found the Orb, but not the King, before time ran out.

At one point I was almost destroyed by a hall monster Rat.

I was defeated by an Ooze on level 2.

Ooh... tough luck. I haven't gotten any time to play because I can't quite figure out how to run the game on TI, and I can't play when dad can help me, because of schoolwork, and Classic99 isn't working on my computer. Dad sent a message to Tursi, but he hasn't responded yet, so it's gonna be a while. :(

Edited by BuckoBrand

Our main TI diskette containing our ToD save games got corrupted. :)

I'll put another one together this weekend and you can run your games on the real TI. :) It'll run from DSK2.

Thanks, dad! :)

When that's done, I can try FarmerPotato's challenge of just a wizard. if only there was a Harry Potter emoticon. :(

ToD is definitely one of my all time favorites. I still play it quite a bit. There's a modern java translation of it that's pretty good. If you go to the TI Game Shelf (http://tigameshelf.net/asm.htm) you can find a disk image full of formerly commercial ToD adventures. On WHTECH, you can find the ToD Editor which lets you make your own games. I bought a copy at the MUG and had a bit of fun with it, though I never released anything.

ToD is my favorite game of all time. Its THE reason I got a TIPI, I couldn't be bothered to pull out the PEB or tape deck, who wants to wait 200 seconds to load. I remember that time being agonizing when I was a kid.

10 level dungeon, a 2 liter bottle of cola a bag of chips and a box of soft cookies was a fine Saturday night. Might explain why I was always a chubby kid...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...