IGNORED

3DO FZ-1 SOP48 Bios

Boojakascha

Hello

I know here are many 3DO developers. Today I attempted to read the FZ-1 Bios of the variant which has the Kanji too included (SOP44, title is wrong). Sadly I ripped a leg. Does anyone have this particular bios? This is of course no request to put it into the Internet, as this would be illegal. But if you have it, please get in touch with me.

With kind regards

Ben

Edited by Boojakascha

I think I succeeded in soldering a wire to the ripped off leg. I got a file with readable contents. The 3DO emulator 3doplay is overwhelmed however. It's what I usually use when checking hacked BIOSes... a pity. But I burn the altered version soon back and install the chip into the console. I can guess from that whether I was successful.

EDIT: Wow just found the hidden credits in the BIOS^^ so probably worked, as they were in all other versions I altered so far =)

Edited by Boojakascha

Would you mind sharing this bios? I've been adding explicit support for different bioses to libretro's 4DO port. If this is different from other publicly available versions I'd love to support it.

What do you mean by 3doplay being overwhelmed?

I am sure "someone" will give you the bios at some point inofficially ;-)

Before I show mine to any people I complete my experiments though. I hope you understand. it would be sweet it 4DO would support it.

3doplay did not use it. It runs all my stock BIOS and the ones I hacked. But I doesn't make use of the SOP44 one... both vanilla and hacked.

If I remember correctly, pheonix emulator runs the Kanji rom alongside the bios. Maybe 3doplay isn't setup to use the kanji bios. Maybe try running it in Phoenix.

Hm Phoenix does use my SOP44 BIOS ROM, but won't find disks (starts though). I just included my BIOS. I don't have to select a "FMV-ROM" and "FONT-ROM", right? And "CD-ROM" is presumably the game.

EDIT: No, I clearly make something wrong... Phoenix won't allow me to load games even with stock FZ-1 SOP32 ROM.

Edited by Boojakascha

4DO via libretro / Retroarch can optionally enable the kanji rom for any primary rom.

4DO refuses to load the SOP44 BIOS (both vanilla and changed). Maybe because it doesn't know it.

I am thrilled though that Phoenix "comes as far" with the SOP44 BIOS as it does with the SOP32 one =)

Edited by Boojakascha

The SAOT rom is a primary rom. The font rom is a secondary rom which the primary looks for and will instruct the 3DO to map into the same address space (which it must switch it back if necessary). While some 3DO variations use the second rom spot for non-font roms they all have physical switches. None of the emulators mimic that physical switch.

• Like 1

I thought the kanji rom needs to assigned to 'Font ROM' and then a known bios rom used for Bios, in phoenix. Maybe the same for SAOT. Phoenix may treat anything from ROM2 as the 'FONT ROM'.

I have tried that. While it did not work for me, I am fine =) I will test real chips on real hardware instead as soon as they arrive.

Yes, the SAOT rom is physically located in the second rom space but from what I can tell it's not accessed the way the font rom is. When placed as the primary rom it boots normally. It's possible that either arcade systems are wired slightly differently or the rom in the first bank is different from the retail version.

You appear to be using the original 4DO. I was referencing the libretro version. The former is abandoned.

• Like 1

You appear to be using the original 4DO. I was referencing the libretro version. The former is abandoned.

Please tell me the libretro version is the same as the RetroArch^^. I was now able to test in RetroArch. It won't start my BIOS... I guess it is confused by the preceding Kanji part... As a reminder: Phoenix did pick up my BIOS. I was just too stupid to figure out how to load disks and or how to make the emulator eat disks as even genuine panafz1.bin were not accepted.

Edited by Boojakascha

RetroArch is a frontend for libretro cores. If you're using a recent version of RetroArch you should be able to download the latest 4DO core through the interface. You can't select an arbitrary file. It looks for specific files. You'd need to rename your rom to one of the known filenames and place it in the system directory.

https://docs.libretro.com/library/4do/

• Like 1