IGNORED

Aaron the Aardvark (WIP)

atari2600land

I attempted to draw an aardvark. Actually, I replaced most of the graphics. I wanted it to look real, and the result of me drawing them is it looks more like a cartoon.

attachicon.gifaaronscreenshot20180803.png

I would say flesh out the Gameplay mechanics first, it doesn't matter if the graphics are ugly atm. If you have a decent fun to play game, artists eventually will come.

• Like 1

VJ keeps on crashing with it :-( IMHO it may not to be wise to start with a wave System or "adding" Levels if the Gameplay is not fleshed out. Try to build a 1 Level prototype where you can go crazy with ideas, test them, make a ONE real fun Level. THEN try to add Levels. The experimental, playful, chaotic stage is crucial for creating anything meaningful.

My proposals would be:

- cut the size of the main character, by at least 50%

- Add much more enemies on screen

- Experiment with moving Patterns, Speed of enemies

- work on the controls

- make the simple idea of dodging really fun to Play

- realize the potential of your Gameplay, add new feats

- the creative part should get all of your Attention. Don't bother About release date, design boxes and Manuals, or even posting every Little Progresses on AA. Making the game should be fun for YOURSELF.

Have fun!

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Added in the ability to pause the game by pressing the Pause button. I first thought it wasn't working in Virtual Jaguar until I accidentally pressed the P key instead of the O and it worked. So this is incorrect:

post-9475-0-42427100-1535371644.jpg

And also, while I'm at it, I tried to get rid of the ugly black bar at the bottom of the screen. I tried everything and it's still there. I ran another Jaguar game on Virtual Jaguar and it wasn't there, so it must be my game. BUT WHY?

post-9475-0-76700400-1535371707.png

unfortunately ggn has not integrated the raptor api 2 into rb+, from what i hear this possibly may never happen. so im afraid we are stuck with it for the forseeable future :(

So what does this mean?

It has been over 2 years since the last release of the API. In that time, various updates have been pushed into the API in order to improve the rB+ experience, but these have not been implemented into the API release - until now.

I'm not a pixel artist but I'm a render bot... I'll see if I can work up something he'll find pleasing to the eye...

You're producing pretty good renders. There's zero reason to believe he'd find them non pleasing :)

As long as all the art assets are consistently rendered in same style and color scheme, it's all good.

• Like 1

Was finishing up some the graphics and had someone else play it and they cracked up. I was going to suggest replacing the poop with lasers but as pointed out, the poop makes it more memorable and is funnier so probably best to stick with that... as strange as that is lol

...and a few quotes...

"I'd run quick too if I had to poop that much!"

:lol:

"His poop looks runny. No, like bacon!"

"How can someone even poop that much!"

"The second wave actually seems easier since the bombs are moving away from the balloon and not directly under it where you have to shoot."

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't forgot about this. I'm still working on it. Slowly but surely. I wonder where Clint is, I wondered if it would be okay with him to show a picture of the new game in progress.

I'm still here but the Jaguar and creative time has taken the back burner for these past few weeks. Hopefully will make some time this upcoming weekend to sort the UFO out.

By all means feel free to post the in-progress stuff, it's your game :)

• Like 3

OK, there has to be a problem with Virtual Jaguar. I've been trying to make the UFO not have a black border around it. I know for sure even my simple test one I did in Paint did NOT have a black border around it because I didn't draw one, yet there it is. What is the deal?

post-9475-0-03540400-1538625635.png