IGNORED

Aaron the Aardvark (WIP)

atari2600land

2 hours ago, atari2600land said:

The latest build is up on my website in my signature.

- changed # of ants being eaten for extra life to 20.

- added in the old backgrounds. There's four total, the one chosen is random.

Sweet! Sorry man on my cell it didn't show the signature for the link and my work now blocks this website and any game related pages so I had to find it on my cell. Found it now tho thanks man! This is super cool!

Played this for a while last night. Got to level 21 with no hacks and still had 8 lives.

Managed to max the lives on first two levels still so 20 ants rocks. Just have to let the ufos come close to the ground, one

at a time while eating the hell out of ants. Works best when the ant hill is close to the edge of the screen as you pretty much

just stand in place whipping them with your tongue ?

5 lasers coming down at once on level 20 can get bad quickly! If they're spread out just so, no way to evade.

A few times I could swear I was in between 2 of them yet still died. If anyone else can confirm. .

Anyway, having fun with this :)

• 10 months later...

I played this on a Skunkboard and saw stuff that needs correcting.

• There should be way more than just 10 UFOs per wave.
  • Audio hiccups (that I have no idea what is causing that)
  • You have to wait a long time after the wave announcement screen goes away to start the level.

I'll be back working on this some more now that I have a Skunkboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

http://atari2600land.com/aarontheaardvark/index.html

new version.

• I had to cut the in game background music because it was apparently taxing the Jaguar.
  • Now you need 50 ants to get an extra life, up from 20.
  • Now 20 ufo's per wave, up from 10.
  • Lots of other odd stuff to make the game work again.

I don't know why it's so slow on real hardware. It's a lot faster in emulation. Oh well. The Skunkboard is back in its baggie for another time. I never heard of such weird precautions with a piece of electronics though.

• Like 1

I noticed that when you get hit and a sound effect is playing, it takes a shorter time to play the death tune then if it was silent and plays the death tune. I want to quit, and if there is no way to tell if SNDZEROPLAY is working, I may just have to.

(NOTE- I started this project way back when Raptor Basic was a thing, and I'd much rather prefer to keep doing what I have rather than start the whole thing over with a thing I have no idea how to use.)

On 3/25/2021 at 8:55 AM, atari2600land said:

I don't know why it's so slow on real hardware. It's a lot faster in emulation.

Because the emulator is faster than the real hardware.

1 hour ago, atari2600land said:

(NOTE- I started this project way back when Raptor Basic was a thing, and I'd much rather prefer to keep doing what I have rather than start the whole thing over with a thing I have no idea how to use.)

There's a very comprehensive guide to port projects over to JagStudio so, no, you don't have to "start the whole thing over"

Considering there is no longer any support at all for rB+ you might want to invest some time reading that guide before posting questions that potentially are going to get ignored ;)

5 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

Makes me think me and atari2600land need to figure out what delta time is and how to roll our own implementation.  Get things basically the same speed on real and virtual hardware.

Never code for an emulator. It's the emulators job to simulate the hardware, not your job as a coder to compensate for what doesn't really exist.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

My big hare brained scheme is to figure out if a machine is running on PAL or NTSC.

Thought of comparing the difference between two different counters: one running in vblank and one in the main loop. 

Or you could just check the raptor_ntsc flag ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1