IGNORED

BARBARIAN

digress

I'm adding more animations to his attack style including a bow, a throw for the viles.

So additioanl animation for the deaths lots more blood coming out of dragon and your character.

Need to add another attack type or parry type and some possible decaptiation of th enemies. Want to make a very bloody game.

Then I'll be adding some new enemies both regular and large sized

And a story/goal.

Yea great job so far.. the color, details, animation. I'll be all over this when it comes out

As always, I'm impressed with the detail you put into these and just how many things are going on.

• Like 1

I'm adding more animations to his attack style including a bow, a throw for the viles.

So additioanl animation for the deaths lots more blood coming out of dragon and your character.

Need to add another attack type or parry type and some possible decaptiation of th enemies. Want to make a very bloody game.

Then I'll be adding some new enemies both regular and large sized

And a story/goal.

I think you might be creating the first truly violent and bloody game for the Colecovision... YES.. that is awesome.. I really dig the way your games make me smile...haha

• Like 1

Most types traditional arcade , coleco , msx etc games are being well covered and the other developers are doing a great job on them.

I just want to offer something different and well I didn't see any hack & slash hell related games with blood and stuff. So there you go..

Stay tuned here later today i'll put up an example of some early f18a graphics.

Your work is really refreshing and unique Digress and I think it's cool you take the time to listen to feedback. Says a lot about you. Still looking forward to this and it keeps getting better.

I think you might be creating the first truly violent and bloody game for the Colecovision... YES.. that is awesome.. I really dig the way your games make me smile...haha

Edited by digress
  • Like 1

Holy smokes that game looks fun.. I love that shrieking sound when you beat up enemies. I think you are some master of F18A, as when I first glanced at the screen I mistaken it for a Sega Master System game, and from a Sega lover like me that is high praise!

I kills me that I do not own and have not been able to get an F18A but I am so juiced that some of the new consoles that are going to be made are going to support it. I will have to go back and replay all of your games over again in F18A once it comes out.

I cannot wait to see how this game is going to come out at the end.. I hope you can do your usual, squeeze every bit out of the RAM you have allotted for your game.

Keep up the great work, the home-brew scene really can use more of "from scratch" games.

• Like 1

I was watching a sinbad movie the other week and I felt bad for the monsters too. I need to lock a door behind the dragon so you can't escape the dragon trap til you win or lose or perhaps have it chase you everywhere. Perhaps i'll put the key around the dragons neck. I also need to animate the door opening rather than just disappearing.

I decided to leave the dragon monocolour because it makes it easier to work in both regular coleco vdp & f18a. It could look better but because of the size of it it might be too much too animate with the additional colours. Maybe i'll try a test to see.

Expect more monsters in upcoming versions.

I'm thinking of putting in an inventory screen of some sort so You can get upgraded weapons. I have arrows and exploding potion you can pick up now but I might add some armor class or D&D element to it. I will be adding a bow animation when he loads the arrow in the future and a throw animation for the potion.

The main antagonist is going to be a magician. He has taken revenge on your sister for not marrying him and turned them into creatures. He will appear from time to time to try to stop you. You need a magic item he possess to return your family to human form. Your family are somewhere in this dungeon. But which monster form did they take on?

Defeat the monsters, locate your family members, try to cure them or at least end their misery then follow the magician to the depths of hell to try an exact your revenge. Or probably die like 2-300 hundreds times and rage quit.

And yes this will support both regular colecovision and any f18a coleco including the CollectorVision Phoenix

I felt bad for the dragon with it's little cries icon_wink.gif

Edited by digress

Holy smokes that game looks fun.. I love that shrieking sound when you beat up enemies. I think you are some master of F18A, as when I first glanced at the screen I mistaken it for a Sega Master System game, and from a Sega lover like me that is high praise!

I kills me that I do not own and have not been able to get an F18A but I am so juiced that some of the new consoles that are going to be made are going to support it. I will have to go back and replay all of your games over again in F18A once it comes out.

I cannot wait to see how this game is going to come out at the end.. I hope you can do your usual, squeeze every bit out of the RAM you have allotted for your game.

Keep up the great work, the home-brew scene really can use more of "from scratch" games.

I agree. This looks and sounds freakin' awesome for a Colecovision game

• Like 1

Hopefully Matt will make a batch of the new F18A chips so more members here can enjoy this. The difference on both the Coleco and ADAM is incredible.

Looks awesome digress.

Last I saw posted about the new version of the F18a, Matthew was getting close to a production run and the CollectorVision Phoenix will be a great option for those that don't want to mod their systems with the F18a board.

Awesome work Digress!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Leo it's really amazing how your games seem to get better and better with every version. Homebrew developers.. I hope you all consider F18A on all of your games as well, it really seems to make a world of difference!

Your game is looking great and I am always interested in seeing more from your efforts! Definitely going to buy this one as soon as its available!

Keep up the jaw dropping amazing Colecovision work..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFyY297P-0g&t=6s

-Added bow & arrow animation

-changed the game style a bit so it's now wandering around a much larger map sort of like zelda i guess.

now you can walk up and down without needing a ladder. more of a top down look to the world.

I'm thinking of ditching the f18a graphics too as it's just doubling my work.I think i'd rather just expand the world and game more as a standard colecovision game.

• Like 5

I'm thinking of ditching the f18a graphics too as it's just doubling my work.I think i'd rather just expand the world and game more as a standard colecovision game.

I may be biased, but I would love to see the F18a version of this as well ;) . With the Phoenix coming out, there will be a lot more people that will be able to take advantage of the F18a enhanced functions. You wouldn't believe how impressed people have been when we have shown the side by side comparison for tank mission.

• Like 1

I always make sure it works on a standard colecovision first so for sure. I was just thinking that I might get bored working on it after I have the standard graphics & gameplay done

That being said the f18a support is already in there up til this point so there is no reason to take out anything already done. So i'll revisit this when I get the game more fleshed out.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether I should have left the game in the earlier style or is this new video a better idea.

basically before was like an ant farm flat side view. this allows you to walk and dodge and explore rooms up and down more. The idea is you will find cave entrances or buildings you can enter and that will be darker caverns again.

The current map is 80 rooms/screens (though I havn't drawn them all yet.)

I think a standard CV game would be perfect!!!

I may be biased, but I would love to see the F18a version of this as well ;) . With the Phoenix coming out, there will be a lot more people that will be able to take advantage of the F18a enhanced functions. You wouldn't believe how impressed people have been when we have shown the side by side comparison for tank mission.

• Like 1

I always make sure it works on a standard colecovision first so for sure. I was just thinking that I might get bored working on it after I have the standard graphics & gameplay done

That being said the f18a support is already in there up til this point so there is no reason to take out anything already done. So i'll revisit this when I get the game more fleshed out.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether I should have left the game in the earlier style or is this new video a better idea.

basically before was like an ant farm flat side view. this allows you to walk and dodge and explore rooms up and down more. The idea is you will find cave entrances or buildings you can enter and that will be darker caverns again.

The current map is 80 rooms/screens (though I havn't drawn them all yet.)

I don't see why you can't use both. Bird's eye for open ground, vertical movement in caverns. They're mixing pac man and pinball in the 7800 forum and that's like the greatest thing ever.

• Like 1

I also fixed the colour somewhat. My revision was bugging me. I think this will be better.

The color of Barbarian(black and red) in this mock-up would work better than the one shown in the video for better contrast. Black outlined sprites over a colorful background works well.

I'm a bit curious about your enemy sprite display routine and one is always flickering. I could help you with that. In my games, the sprites are always reordering in array every frame, so it'll flicker when there's more than 4 on a line or overlapped.