IGNORED

BARBARIAN

digress

Digress your game is looking amazing! I love the new Zelda style gameplay. In regards to which style I liked more.. I say go for the 2nd one with areas or mid-bosses or big bosses with the first if possible.

I am glad you are going for a bigger game if you are going to lose F18A, but to tell you the truth those F18A screens looks very sweet, and for those of us going to get the Phoenix and finally have F18A support we would love to have as many games as possible to support it.

However you choose I am sure it will be awesome and unique like all of your other titles my friends and I love to play together.

I always make sure it works on a standard colecovision first so for sure. I was just thinking that I might get bored working on it after I have the standard graphics & gameplay done

That being said the f18a support is already in there up til this point so there is no reason to take out anything already done. So i'll revisit this when I get the game more fleshed out.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether I should have left the game in the earlier style or is this new video a better idea.

basically before was like an ant farm flat side view. this allows you to walk and dodge and explore rooms up and down more. The idea is you will find cave entrances or buildings you can enter and that will be darker caverns again.

The current map is 80 rooms/screens (though I havn't drawn them all yet.)

I think both versions look great. They both have lots of colors, well drawn sprites, and smooth animation. I do like the side scrolling perspective slightly more than the overhead view but like another reader suggested maybe its possible to incorporate both to make one kick-ass game. Whichever path you choose it looks amazing and fills a niche on the coleco. It's a winner regardless

ok thanks. I will see how the two styles work without too much conversion so the controls remain mostly the same.

So I might have some caverns you enter then it'll become the sytle similar to the earlier videos and i'll also have the large map style.

I was trying to find a better way to have some exploring and the left to right nature of the game I had was just not lending it self to exploring.

Mine is not to wonder why … mine is to just go right til I die.

ok thanks. I will see how the two styles work without too much conversion so the controls remain mostly the same.

So I might have some caverns you enter then it'll become the sytle similar to the earlier videos and i'll also have the large map style.

I was trying to find a better way to have some exploring and the left to right nature of the game I had was just not lending it self to exploring.

Mine is not to wonder why mine is to just go right til I die.

I couldn't agree with you more on that last line, mine is to just go right and die as well lol.

Both versions of your game are similar in perspective to the original NES Zeldas. Part 1 was an overhead view while part 2 was a side scroller. Both games were good but played differently. I think the overhead view entails more adventure and exploring while the side scrolling provides more action and combat. It would be great any path you take your game and even better if you could combine the two elements but thats easier said than done. So far from what I've seen they both look great and cant wait to see how it progresses to finished product. Keep up the good work on this great looking game

It's already done. I just tested it.

So I got both caverns with gravity and climbing and falling . So these will be when you enter a building or cave.

I also have the wandering aspect working too

and both are now in f18a so It's all in there. I got a couple glitches but I'll show a clip tomorrow maybe of it in f18a & regular for comparision.

I couldn't agree with you more on that last line, mine is to just go right and die as well lol.

Both versions of your game are similar in perspective to the original NES Zeldas. Part 1 was an overhead view while part 2 was a side scroller. Both games were good but played differently. I think the overhead view entails more adventure and exploring while the side scrolling provides more action and combat. It would be great any path you take your game and even better if you could combine the two elements but thats easier said than done. So far from what I've seen they both look great and cant wait to see how it progresses to finished product. Keep up the good work on this great looking game

• Like 1

It's already done. I just tested it.

So I got both caverns with gravity and climbing and falling . So these will be when you enter a building or cave.

I also have the wandering aspect working too

and both are now in f18a so It's all in there. I got a couple glitches but I'll show a clip tomorrow maybe of it in f18a & regular for comparision.

Sounds great I cant wait to see the clip of the new stuff you added

• 3 weeks later...

@Digress

Wow your game is looking more and more amazing every time you show us a new version! Seriously looking at your games makes me yearn for F18A support for my unit! Good thing I already paid for the new Collectorvision console!

I love the giant ghoul / ghost attacking you, such a large sprite, it seems you are doing things games on this system have rarely or ever done.

Keep up the great work looking forward to buying this one!

Well i was thinking he might relive himself on one of the bad guys from time to time after winning and then his walk might change.

incidentally. While wandering around the map and not in the caverns I could use a more top down look to it the characters etc. not sure but it's already setup I would just need to redraw the sprites for that section.

Noted. I might also consider the dragon riding. idea but I think I would need at least side scrolling section or something.

Edited by digress

• 8 months later...
On 11/27/2018 at 7:59 AM, digress said:

Well i was thinking he might relive himself on one of the bad guys from time to time after winning and then his walk might change.

incidentally. While wandering around the map and not in the caverns I could use a more top down look to it the characters etc. not sure but it's already setup I would just need to redraw the sprites for that section.

Noted. I might also consider the dragon riding. idea but I think I would need at least side scrolling section or something.

How's this going, buddy? Haven't heard an update in a while.

Yeah perhaps i'll do some more on it later this year. I'm the middle of a few projects and I just released a comic strip book.

there was a number of problems. i'd don't like the combat . it's not really working and things were getting too slow.

perhaps a f18a only version might be a better option.

I was playing zelda with my daughter. i never played it before so I might pick up a few things from that.

On 8/31/2019 at 5:43 PM, digress said:

I think the standard coleco vision looks pretty darn good. If you changed the light blue outline color of the player I don't see how you could go wrong. F18 looks really pretty too but I don't own one of those :P

this is an old video but it wasn't embedded correctly above.

did you mean blue outline in this one or the one with the yellow sand background? The blue seems lighter here as my monitor brigtness was too high for correct capture.

Edited by digress
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, digress said:

this is an old video but it wasn't embedded correctly above.

did you mean blue outline in this one or the one with the yellow sand background? The blue seems lighter here as my monitor brigtness was too high for correct capture.

Ya, that light blue on  the player seems off to me.

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2019 at 5:43 PM, digress said:

Yeah perhaps i'll do some more on it later this year. I'm the middle of a few projects and I just released a comic strip book.

there was a number of problems. i'd don't like the combat . it's not really working and things were getting too slow.

I was playing zelda with my daughter. i never played it before so I might pick up a few things from that.

Just my personal opinion, but I think you should rework this game into a clone of Golden Axe. Make this an F18A exclusive (i.e. Phoenix exclusive) with slow horizontal scrolling and maximum use of sprites (without that pesky 4-sprite-per-scaline limit).

I say this because I believe what players really want to do with this type of game is kick some mercenary/troll/orc/dragon butt, not so much exploring a "limited sandbox" countryside. So make it a 2D game with a little bit of 3D depth so you can move up and down, like Golden Axe or Double Dragon.

Oh, and two-player co-op would make the game even cooler. Just sayin'.  :D

• Like 2

Yeah, That's possible. 

I was already convinced that I would drop support for a standard colecovision and do it f18a only so that would eliminate a lot of problems right there trying to make it work on both setups.

Scrolling background. Was already considering something more like Rastan.

2 players. Porbably. Why not.

I'm finishing up a couple of other projects then I'll pull this one out and have another look at it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, digress said:

Yeah, That's possible. 

I was already convinced that I would drop support for a standard colecovision and do it f18a only so that would eliminate a lot of problems right there trying to make it work on both setups.

I'm finishing up a couple of other projects then I'll pull this one out and have another look at it.

If I may suggest a quick idea, you could borrow a page from Pitfall and split the screen into parallel outdoors and underground paths. The player could go from outdoors down into the underground cave, or come up from the cave to the outdoor path, at specific locations. The player can pick the path he wants and face different enemies along the way. In a two-player game, one player could play on the top path while the other could be doing battle in the bottom path, or they could choose to cooperate together in the same path. Considering your barbarian character is rather small, this would be an interesting way to make use of the screen real estate.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 3:01 PM, digress said:

Yeah, That's possible. 

It would be nice if you post the standard coleco version for those without F18A if you are willing. Even in it's unfinished state, I would love to play it.