IGNORED

Wishing for an Updated Soccer Game

international soccer for c64 was the best soccer until kick off come out

the background is very simple and can be compared to world cup for inty

the players on the field are set to max 6 anytime

now, the problem is that they are giants!

are the players in the picture doable with 8x16 sprites?

International_Soccer.PNG

Edited by vprette

international soccer for c64 was the best soccer until kick off come out

the background is very simple and can be compared to world cup for inty

the players on the field are set to max 6 anytime

now, the problem is that they are giants!

are the players in the picture doable with 8x16 sprites?

International_Soccer.PNG

In Double-Y mode, yes... but it'll still be single colour. However, considering that the Intellivision has a smaller screen area, perhaps keeping the sprites at normal Single-Y mode would still keep the same feel.

-dZ.

Some Lemon64 scores about C64 soccer games:

International Soccer / Cup Final (1983). 7.7 of 10 - horizontal scroll

Major Indoor Soccer League (1987): 7.4 - horizontal scroll

Superstar Soccer (1987): 7.7 - horizontal scroll

Microprose Soccer (1988): 8.6 (this is my personal favorite) - vertical scroll

Emlyn Hughes International Soccer (1988): 8.6 (never played it, but I probably should) - horizontal scroll

Kick Off (1989): 6.2 (this one might be better on 16-bits like Amiga or Atari ST) - vertical scroll

Kick Off 2 (1990): 3.1 (regarded 8.27 / 10 in the Amiga version so go figure...) - vertical scroll

Supposedly International Soccer from 1983 was heavily inspired by soccer on the Intellivision, so back porting the C64 game would be like touching up the original game.

Microprose Soccer (programmed by Sensible Software) was heavily inspired by Tecmo's arcade game Tehkan World Cup from 1985/86, which of course was released on the NES as Tecmo World Cup Soccer (not to be confused with Tecmo Cup Soccer Game). Kick Off also got its inspiration from the same arcade game. I think if a new soccer game for the Intellivision was to be developed, basing it on Tecmo's arcade game would make a bigger difference than porting any of the horizontally scrolling ones.

• Like 1

Ok. Match Day is rated 8.32 / 10 on WoS but only 2.7 / 10 on Lemon64 and 9.5 / 20 (odd scale) on CPC Power. I used to play the C64 version and mostly laughed about it but as always the original version tends to be more playable than a port to another system.

Some aggregate scores on the games released in 1988-1989 because it is fun to do:

Emlyn Hughes International Soccer

Lemon64: 8.6 / 10 (C64 version)

CPC Power: 17.12 / 20 (Amstrad CPC version)

WoS: 7.99 / 10 (ZX Spectrum version)

Lemon Amiga: 6.91 / 10 (Amiga version)

Atari Mania: 7.3 / 10 (Atari ST version)

Average score 7.872 / 10 on all systems

Generally highly regarded on all systems, though not a smash hit on the 16-bits.

Kick Off

Lemon64: 6.2 / 10

CPC Power: 10.00 / 20

WoS: 6.82 / 10

Lemon Amiga: 8.14 / 10

Atari Mania: 7.8 / 10

Average score: 6.792 / 10

So-so on the 8-bits, much better on the 16-bits.

Microprose Soccer

Lemon64: 8.6 / 10

CPC Power: exists, but not rated

WoS: 7.33 / 10

Lemon Amiga: 5.45 / 10

Atari Mania: 7.1 / 10

Average score: 7.12 / 10

So-so on the 16-bits, much better on the 8-bits.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

emlyn huges is International soccer + fouls and option to play 2 players in same team
kick off is totally based on the speed of gameplay, this speed cannot be achieved on intellivision, it would be a totally different game, so maybe better to think sensible soccer

microprose soccer was horrible on amiga, but decent on c64 because programmed by another team... it's not a soccer I like anyway

mockup!

Well, I imagine that, due to the Intellivision limitations, it'll look very close to the Intellivision Soccer and Football games -- except with the AI and sequences from that other one. *shrug*

Then again, I'm not a sports person (although I really like Wii Golf!), and never cared for any of those games. *double-shrug*

-dZ.

pardon me but blocky or not i found the intellivision soccer much better as any else for quite a long time, i'm not wrong if i say most was biased games.

(or maybe i am biased).

i was a couch sports player and i feel a chip shot is much more challenging to play as any super realistic golf sim we have today, they are far to simple to play.

not even the so called "confidence shot" method really challenged me.

chip shot is hard to control and you miss often, but that's the sport in sports.

aber ich kann mir ja den mund fusselig reden :)

strangewisely it turned out that i started to dislike sport games after the intellivision - why?

and recently i wouldn't play any else as an old intellivision sports game (except for racing) and this not only because of nostalgia.

while in fact inty soccer is far to easy to win against the machine - far to easy.

if anything could be made better then it's the AI

if the rules are authentical won't influence gameplay much because each player has to follow the same rules authentic or not.

• Like 1

but also for racing games i prefere dinosaurs like sports car gt or my recent love streets of simcity

dammit i couldn't get sports car to work proper on the new notebook, not yet, but it would be cool, i like to see if an x-box controller will be as good as a wheel. this game needs analogue gas else it's unplayable, but exactly that's why i like sports car so much, if you push down the pedal full 600 horses start to stampede, there is no delay or signal processing the same for the steering sports car feels a bit like to drive a go-cart - except that this are quite powerful go-carts.a gt40 feels like a gt40 just by entering the real specs, that's supercool, the wheels still lose grip in the 5th gear sometimes such a torque has this car. EA yeah, because it was the british division? maybe. create a '60s model with real specs put it on the nürburg ring and you will see how difficult it was to drive a sports car in a race back then, the cars have 0 aerodynamic functionality - often vice versa as for the lightweight e-type below it's slightly modified by experience, the skirts are "new" and the shape differs a little, but that thing would be 14cm above the street, it looks aesthetic (aestethic - who wouldn't fall in love with it?) but it's drive like a piece of shit

/\

|

how easy such happened:

Lindner-Nocker-Low-Drag-Lightweight-Jagu

the wrecking i ment - not the restauration of a chunk of alu.

what was the topic - ahh sports games, soccer in fact.

dudes, make a soccer make me stating that their is one soccer game i like as much as the intellivision soccer.

slightly off topic, but it's still unsolved and worries me a little (as a nasl soccer fanboy):

Edited by Gernot

Intellivision NASL Soccer was one of our favourite cartridges. After Intellivision, I found playing other soccer games' limited 8-way controls to be disappointing. The only thing the Mattel sports games lacked was a computer controlled opponent. Actually, nasl soccer bugged me that it didn't allow you to move whenever play stopped.

Edited by mr_me

just a thought

what do you think about super pro decathlon?

i never played it in my youth but it's imo a very good sports game.

i'm not yet good in it and rant often about the controls, but i think overall it's even better as "hyper olympics".

the "feel" and that's what i often point on is completely different with the blocky but smooth animation.

same here why i disliked soccer games a long time, they was sprite based and poor animated, mostly.

and of course the 16 directional control was important as well

i don't need to count how many pimples my player has in his face, that didn't makes a game better.

just a thought

what do you think about super pro decathlon?

i never played it in my youth but it's imo a very good sports game.

i'm not yet good in it and rant often about the controls, but i think overall it's even better as "hyper olympics".

the "feel" and that's what i often point on is completely different with the blocky but smooth animation.

There's a discussion on Super Pro Decathlon here. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/253573-try-to-convince-me-that-super-pro-decathlon-is-a-nice-game/

NASL Soccer: Not being able to move for goal kicks is not too bad; for corners and throwins it can be unfair.

To improve Intellivision sports games I wouldn't bother with the running man. They changed the running man in World Cup Soccer and it's one of several things I don't like about that game.

People forget how revolutionary the running man animation was in 1979-80, not just for home video games but any video games.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

They changed the running man in World Cup Soccer and it's one of several things I don't like about that game.

can you explain this a little more, where exactly is the difference? i never noticed one but that didn't means there would be no, sometimes i'm blind like a groundhog.

People forget how revolutionary the running man animation was in 1979-80, not just for home video games but any video games.

true

imho it was underrated already in the '80s, to see the "pimples" sells unfortunatly better.

Edited by Gernot

I have been wanting to work on a game and Soccer was one of them.

A soccer game with some of the features from Fight For The Cup would be great. Tougher AI, the ability to choose the length of the halves, penalties(yellow card/red cards)......Id be interested for sure. :)

A soccer game with some of the features from Fight For The Cup would be great. Tougher AI, the ability to choose the length of the halves, penalties(yellow card/red cards)......Id be interested for sure. :)

I used to play Soccer as a kid. I did not enjoy it much because the play was so slow. We shall see what I can do.

• Like 1