IGNORED

Atari VCS new

robbo007

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if it would be possible to have the ported games on the new Atari VCS? I see its a linux system and they do state that you can create your own apps etc. Going to be interesting to see what approach Ataris takes relating to ported Atari games. Unless they have a master plan to port their collection for a paid service themselves I don't see this being a problem? Anyone know anything more?

I see Tempest 4000 is included, not sure how it was ported??

Cheers,

Rob

Going to be interesting to see what approach Ataris takes relating to ported Atari games. Unless they have a master plan to port their collection for a paid service themselves I don't see this being a problem?

The gist of their "Master plan" is:

1. Sue every developer who is using between half pixel and two full pixels from the original Atari game

2. PROFIT !!!!

So lets hope the new folks at Atari don't screw this up. If they allow the community to create things then this project will be successful. If not it will die a slow death like most!!

Successful how? They won't make money off of community creations unless they sell them for money. Right now their "plan" is to pre sell weak commodity hardware after a year of waiting, with no plan for software. If they had a plan or software deals, seems they'd be talking about it instead of promising "more details soon." They're taking donations though.

The smart consumer would wait to see what they actually deliver. To me, it appears it will be dead on arrival of it even launches at all.

Are you excited for this? If so, why? Because of the Atari name?

• Like 4

Llamasoft officially confirmed the port of Tempest 4000 some time ago ;)

The least is to support this new machine as everything released in the Atari community is supported naturally.

Llamasoft confirmed it after "Atari" contacted them in a panic after being caught out in blatant lies to people trying to drum up funds from unsuspecting (? was anyone that dumb?) victims. At the time of the video from "Atari" showing "T4000 running on the console" Llamasoft knew nothing of it. Also, the game doesn't exist yet, assuming it gets made, so that video is ... well... you decide if you trust them.

Also check that "Funds will be received regardless of anything being achieved" on the page. Cash grab, nothing more or less.

• Like 8

Llamasoft confirmed it after "Atari" contacted them in a panic after being caught out in blatant lies to people trying to drum up funds from unsuspecting (? was anyone that dumb?) victims. At the time of the video from "Atari" showing "T4000 running on the console" Llamasoft knew nothing of it. Also, the game doesn't exist yet, assuming it gets made, so that video is ... well... you decide if you trust them.

Also check that "Funds will be received regardless of anything being achieved" on the page. Cash grab, nothing more or less.

Wait, I'm having déjà vu. Has the Coleco Chameleon guy now got a job at Atari?
  • Like 2

Nobody will never know the exact story about it ;) it is their own cooking.

Fact is Tempest 4000 will be released ;)

and I pre ordered the Onyx version ;)

It'll be out next month on Xbone, PS4, and PC. You'll have to wait at least one year. And, given the low specs of the currently planned Atari VCS system, whether it'll actually run as intended is another thing...

• Like 4

The specs are to change ;)

:ponder:

FYI there ARE other smiley's besides ;) also, stop over using it :roll: , are you suggesting YOU have some inside info nobody else does? Didn't YOU yourself say "Nobody will never know the exact story about it ;) it is their own cooking"........you are just another dreamer HOPING for the best, which is fine but no more accurate than anything else people here are saying ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 3

I can't believe that Indiegogo is so screwed up (actually wait, I can) that it's not registering... registers correctly but something is super wonky and not adding up with their "perks" - I must be missing something.

VCS Bundle - $379 - only 82 claimed

Classic Joystick - $29 - only 13 claimed

Modern Controller - $49 - only 4 claimed

Joystick+Controller - $59 - only 31 claimed

Onyx VCS - $219 - only 3 claimed

VCS Trib Ed. - $299 - a whopping 5 claimed

Onyx all in - $299 - a ground breaking 28

So... where are the numbers for the 11,070 backers coming from? I don't see why it would make sense for Indiegogo to hide all the previous purchases if that really is the case.

I don't back very many projects and when I do it's always been on Kickstarter. Also, I just noticed but even the entire campaign is ran by a 3rd party and not Atari themselves - Rain Factory? I suppose this shouldn't come as any surprise either.

Edited by Clint Thompson

So... where are the numbers for the 11,070 backers coming from? I don't see why it would make sense for Indiegogo to hide all the previous purchases if that really is the case.

Here's the console numbers and the pre-reset controllers post. "Woody" is short for the Collector's Edition. But, as I mention, I no longer trust the numbers because we have no way of telling if people cancelled orders either from debacle (e.g.The Tempest 4000 controversy) or switching packages (like Onyx to Tribute). I wouldn't be completely shocked if it was in the 7000 range, as Flojo suggested. I just know the numbers, like the Atari officers, are high now.

• Like 3

Nobody will never know the exact story about it ;) it is their own cooking.

Fact is Tempest 4000 will be released ;)

and I pre ordered the Onyx version ;)

I preordered a joystick. So at least if the console is dead on arrival, I have a pretty stick to play Stella with. And if not, $33 is a risk I'm willing to make. $200+, no way...

I can't believe that Indiegogo is so screwed up (actually wait, I can) that it's not registering... registers correctly but something is super wonky and not adding up with their "perks" - I must be missing something.

VCS Bundle - $379 - only 82 claimed

Classic Joystick - $29 - only 13 claimed

Modern Controller - $49 - only 4 claimed

Joystick+Controller - $59 - only 31 claimed

Onyx VCS - $219 - only 3 claimed

VCS Trib Ed. - $299 - a whopping 5 claimed

Onyx all in - $299 - a ground breaking 280

I don't back very many projects and when I do it's always been on Kickstarter. Also, I just noticed but even the entire campaign is ran by a 3rd party and not Atari themselves - Rain Factory? I suppose this shouldn't come as any surprise either.

There were loads more vcs joysticks sold than that. Surely I'm not one of only 13 that bought it, unless a crapton of people cancelled? :???: