IGNORED

Dodge 'Em - Frustrating, great, or both?

louisg

I want to like this game so much, but it drives me completely insane every time I play it. I think it's that combination of difficulty with having to start the level over after a crash! What do other people think of this one? And, does anyone have any good survival tips?

• Like 1

The only advice I have is, drive fast, don't crash. You're welcome. :-)

I hadn't realized how often this game was remade/cloned elsewhere: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/278119-head-on-head-on-n-dodge-em/

Wow, that's a lot of clones! I think some Sega cabinets came with a very simple version of the game, too, IIRC because of some regulation saying you can't ship an arcade cab minus a game or something. I might be getting the details of that wrong. I keep meaning to try that 16-bit one.

Sometimes with a game like Dodge 'Em, it's where you look at the screen that counts (like in a shmup). Maybe I'm staring at my own car too much. It also doesn't help that Dodge 'Em has a lot less space than the game it's cloning!

The only advice I have is, drive fast, don't crash. You're welcome. :-)

I hadn't realized how often this game was remade/cloned elsewhere: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/278119-head-on-head-on-n-dodge-em/

My fave of the clones (though I'm biased) is Car Wars for the 994A. That game drives me absolutely crazy, though.

• Like 1

I used to like it a lot, then I figured out how to max the score for the HSC

Ahh, sounds like why I stopped playing Phoenix. I liked it a lot for a couple days, then the muscle memory for defeating the squadron at the capped max difficulty level meant I couldn't die. I'd take them out before they barely got going.

I've always wanted to get good at Dodge Em, but I'm VERY lucky if I can even clear ONE screen.

The AI is just brutal,... or maybe MY intelligence is just lacking... but that game is WAY more frustrating than fun.

Going for a High Score?

Fine

Trying to clear 'X' number of boards?

Get ready to buy a new VCS or Dodge Em cart; because your current one is gonna get broken when you finally snap and decide to show that while IT may be able to beat you at Dodge Em,.. YOU can beat it at fisticuffs.

Edited by Torr
  • Like 1

Love the game, has only one flaw.. you have to hit reset everytime the game is over... and you will be getting a lot of game overs... if you could have pushed the joystick button to reset after a game over would have been ideal.

The game along with Turmoil are just 2 of the required reading games for any atari 2600 owner!

Wow, that's a lot of clones! I think some Sega cabinets came with a very simple version of the game, too, IIRC because of some regulation saying you can't ship an arcade cab minus a game or something. I might be getting the details of that wrong. I keep meaning to try that 16-bit one.

Sometimes with a game like Dodge 'Em, it's where you look at the screen that counts (like in a shmup). Maybe I'm staring at my own car too much. It also doesn't help that Dodge 'Em has a lot less space than the game it's cloning!

16 bit one???

I want to like this game so much, but it drives me completely insane every time I play it. I think it's that combination of difficulty with having to start the level over after a crash! What do other people think of this one? And, does anyone have any good survival tips?

Yea it's frustrating but I still like it, but can only play a few times before I decide it's insane. I would like to see a video from someone who is really really good at this game.

Wow !!

I found one:

Edited by thetick1

Dodge 'Em is truly the only 2600 game that I mastered (that has a score). I borrowed the cartridge from a friend and played it enough where I was able to clear all screens without losing any lives and getting all points. After I accomplished this, I rarely played it again, and can barely clear one screen these days when I do!

This was before Pac-Man 2600 was out, and I approached it like Pac-Man in the arcade, by coming up with a pattern, as I'm sure most or all the others who've accomplished this did. I was never able to come up with a single patter for Pac-Man 2600 though...

Gr8 game. Loved it bitd. Fastlane is also good fun. Timing, patterns and the use of the double lane changes. From memory, I usually clear the outta lane as much as possible at the start, then double lane change to get to the center and work my way out. Haven't played in ages and currently @work.

Edited by spriggamortis