IGNORED

Castle Boxset - Limited Edition / Pre-order

retroillucid

The castle layouts are completely different. That's the extent of the differences. Well, there's also different graphics on the title screen and hud. It's like the Lolo games on the NES: All different layouts with the same game engine.

I'd say Castle Excellent is harder to figure out than The Castle, which is logical since The Castle came out first. The Castle is the best to start with since it introduces the various game elements at a more manageable pace.

• Like 1

Why do so many of the new releases have to be reliant on the SGM in order to play them? That is my only real complaint with these CV home brews and is the main reason I've not bought into them. It is great to see the SGM getting so much support, but does every newly released HB have to require it?

Why do so many of the new releases have to be reliant on the SGM in order to play them? That is my only real complaint with these CV home brews and is the main reason I've not bought into them. It is great to see the SGM getting so much support, but does every newly released HB have to require it?

most of them are port from the sg1000 or msx this is why... only few of the new game made from scratch require the sgm.. port from other system are great since here in canada we dont really have access to those system..

The Castle and Castle Excellent had 8k RAM in the original cart. I tried to optimize this so only 1k could be used but it was impossible. The thing is, there's so much graphic characters in the game that it's impossible to define them all in one go. Each room build its own set of characters dynamically as needed. So there's some huge table in RAM to keep track of what character is what. Also, the game remembers all the rooms visited, all the objects collected, all the enemies defeated, all the doors opened. With 100 rooms total, a handful of enemies+objects+doors per rooms, that's a lot of bits needed in RAM to remember their states!

The game can be played on the Colecovision console + SGM as well as on the Adam computer WITHOUT the SGM. So that's always a possibility for those of you that doesn't have the SGM (like me!)

Edited by tabachanker2
  • Like 4

It is just because it is lot of more easy and less time consuming to port game from a plateform with very similar hardware to colecoision than code a game from scratch . So They almost ported all interresting SG1000 game to colecovision . (these port does not require SGM as the SG1000 and Colecovision are almost clone) . Now , they loot the MSX library. As MSX have more Ram and different sound chip... it is more straight forward to port to SGM as the SGM has more RAM and same sound chip than MSX.

Having MSX game and SG1000 game on Colecovision is good for whom not having access to these games. But making a business based on these portage is .... everybody knows what i think...

In addition most of games coded from scratch for the colecovision are better than all these port. Look at Sydney Hunter, Mecha 8 / 9 , Princess Quest, Risky Risk, Bomb jack ...and lot of other... and they do not require SGM.

• Like 1

Be aware that Mecha 8/9 are born on msx, princess quest has been developed in parallel, bomb jack was on msx2...

Bomb jack has been coded from scratch. Not at all based on MSX2 version. Bombjack exists also on SG1000... but just compare the 2 versions. You will see these games have nothing in common ...

Mecha 8 colecovision version is impoved compared to the MSX Version. And the "port" has been done by the original author as for Princess Quest . There was no code theft here.

Edited by youki

Bomb jack has been coded from scratch. Not at all based on MSX2 version. Bombjack exists also on SG1000... but just compare the 2 versions. You will see these games have nothing in common ...

Mecha 8 colecovision version is impoved compared to the MSX Version. And the "port" has been done by the original author as for Princess Quest . There was no code theft here.

there was no code theft

Mecha 8 on cartridge is the same as cv sgm version.

Princess quest has been coded in parallel by Oscar (as for Mecha 8), who says of code theft?

Edited by artrag

Mecha 8 on cartridge is the same as cv sgm version.

Princess quest has been coded in parallel by Oscar (as for Mecha 8), who says of code theft?

I said there are NO code theft here. Because the code has been ported by the author or with agreement of the author , no issue with that. But in case of portage for instance of Nemesis or another Konami game from MSX to CV , there is code theft.

I said there are NO code theft here. Because the code has been ported by the author or with agreement of the author , no issue with that. But in case of portage for instance of Nemesis or another Konami game from MSX to CV , there is code theft.

You speak alot about code theft, but you don't mention graphics theft or game clone

There's no differences between all those

But I'm kind of your side though, I highly prefer having original games over ports