IGNORED

Controller adapters to use Jaguar or Genesis controller on Intellivision

7800fan

0jESkn2.jpg

Yep, lots of PCBs. I already designed, tested it, and ordered 100 total.

Ej6A4H5.jpg

Various stages of Genesis controller adapters I only had a few of the 9 pin plug and China ship is being slow with 50 more. I also need to order 50 of HD-15 ports for Jaguar controllers but that's a bit later (before that d umb 25% tax hits)

oAP945I.jpg

External case for adapter for use on Intellivision II system

toxdsen.jpg

Another view of external adapter as an example.

The adapter boards are also usable internally in all "fat" Intellivision systems. It has connectors so you can use original Intellivision controller, both original controller and the Genesis or Jaguar controllers can be used at the same time. The Genesis adapter also has a spot to plug in a standard 4x3 keypad if you choose to make a custom box or to hack your favorite Genesis controller to have built in keypad. Jaguar does not need keypad since it has one already.

The controller and 3 buttons replaces the discs and the side buttons but few games like Vectron would be hard to play with 8 direction controller. Keypad (if used) are same as original. Pause button on Jaguar and Start button on Genesis controller are functionally the same as pressing 1 + 9 on keypad, which will pause games that uses this method.

I have not tested every Genesis controller but the standard Sega brand 3 button and the 6 buttons both worked without any issues (X, Y, Z, and Mode button aren't used)

I'm still piecing them all together, the codes are 100% done so that's that. Right now I have the PCB, 100 of programmable chips, and such but not enough plugs to complete any.

These adapter will require mod. Specifically it needs 5v to run and 5v is not present on the controller port so you will need to tap it inside the console. Also a little hole to run the wire and plug for external adapter module.

The basic adapter board is probably going to be about $10 each for DIY internal mod and probably $20 for external mod. I am not taking order yet, I want to finish assembling what I got and test them to verify they work before collecting money and mailing them out.

Why did I make them? I loved Intellivision games but hated the non-ergonomic controllers. Jaguar controller are pretty comfortable to use. Sega Genesis are also nice but without keypad.

Why white PCB? I am tired of plain old green PCB and PCBWay offers many colored PCB at no additional extra cost.

Edited by 7800fan
  • Like 6

One package received, some more to go:

XVeICx7.jpg

question, any nice name for these adapters? I thought of playing on the famous gold droid from 40-years old sci-fi film and naming these adapters G-328PO and J-328PO since I originally used ATMega328P to do the controller translation because Intellivision used peculiar protocol for controller.

• Like 1

They **could** run off batteries. ATMega chip I am using are designed to work from low voltage up to 5v. I went with 5v mainly because it's available and I can't use 12v that's also available on Intellivision consoles. It runs at 8MHz and will work down to 3.3v without an issue so 3 battery packs should be fine. You'd want to wire in a switch to cut battery off when not using it.

The only issue I see is controllers. Genesis pad and Jaguar pad were designed for 5v and may not want to work at lower voltage. I'd need to check to be sure it'd still work at 4.5v from 3x batteries.

Will this require soldering? Either way, very interested!

I'm going to add spring loaded clips so you can attach the adapter to 5v without any soldering. Thus only cosmetic mod would be needed if you wanted to mount the port for easy access. Intellivision II would still require soldering.

• 3 weeks later...

3 questions.

1) will it work with a Flashback modded INTV1? Yes? No? Only if I buy a physical pin swapper?

2) Is the other 9 pin for the Intellivision original controller so you can access the original keypad with the second Y-ed controller? If so, would THAT need a physical pin adapter to work with a Flashback controller on my Flashback modded INTV1?

3) Would it work without a genesis controller plugged in, and just use the INVTV controller straight, so I don't have to unplug it every time I want a 16-way game?

4) Will it work with a Tototek PS2 controller-> Genesis machine adapter?

5) Isn't USB a 5V circuit? If so could it be powered by USB cord (with an optional a USB-> AC adapter or USB to AA/AAA battery pack) ? Or could it be powered by AA/AAA NiMH batteries?

I'm barely no longer a noob becuase I have successfully cleaned out potentiometers for an Atari 2600 and Bally Astrocade paddle, and have cleaned contacts on a Colecovision Super Aciton Controllers, and installed an INTV 1 Flashback mod, but otherwise, have very little "under the hood" experience, especially where soldering is concerned. How easy is it to install?

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to purchase one already assembled to go in a FlashBack modded INTV. I'd rather have Genesis-> INTV. Genesis doesn't require a desoldered controller for an INTV fight stick, as I can use a Tototek PS2-> Genesis adapter and from there go to INTV. That is assuming I can access the keypad with a Flashback INTV controller.

You should add a "standard/Flashback" toggle on both the INTV end for the keypad on the native INTV controller, and on the plug into the INTV FB->1. I would prefer you incorporate a Flashback/standard modding for a Flashback INTV controller on a FB modded standard INTV 1.

Also what about the idea of using USB and a USB-> AC or USB->AA/AAA?

Never got answers from 20 some days ago:

3 questions.

1) will it work with a Flashback modded INTV1? Yes? No? Only if I buy a physical pin swapper?

2) Is the other 9 pin for the Intellivision original controller so you can access the original keypad with the second Y-ed controller? If so, would THAT need a physical pin adapter to work with a Flashback controller on my Flashback modded INTV1?

3) Would it work without a genesis controller plugged in, and just use the INVTV controller straight, so I don't have to unplug it every time I want a 16-way game?

4) Will it work with a Tototek PS2 controller-> Genesis machine adapter?

5) Isn't USB a 5V circuit? If so could it be powered by USB cord (with an optional a USB-> AC adapter or USB to AA/AAA battery pack) ? Or could it be powered by AA/AAA NiMH batteries?

I'm barely no longer a noob becuase I have successfully cleaned out potentiometers for an Atari 2600 and Bally Astrocade paddle, and have cleaned contacts on a Colecovision Super Aciton Controllers, and installed an INTV 1 Flashback mod, but otherwise, have very little "under the hood" experience, especially where soldering is concerned. How easy is it to install?

I'd like to buy one, depending on what the answers to my questions are. The big one is "Will it work with a Flashback-modded INTV 1?"

The middle 3 questions were answered by re-reading the initial post. Yes you can use a INTV controller for Keypad and the Genesis Josytick independently, Yes you can keep it attached and just use an INTV controller for 16 way games, and most likely yes for my PS2-> Genesis fight stick adapter.

And finally, "For power, can a USB plug work, and then from there, a USB -> AC adapter and/or a USB-> 3 AAA/3AA NiMH battery pack?"

If all the answers are in my favor, I might want a second one for other opponents playing against me who want one who have similar complaints, depending on the price and amount of user-friendliness involved. Which I heard was $20 each for a user friendly version or $10 for a solder monkey's version.

PS. Thought of new questions. To save on power outlets (don't want to run into a Sega Genesis/CD/32X problem) , would it work with a M/F Power Cord Extension cable with 2 USB adapters on the side for the 2 adapters, kind of like a power splitter?

Finally will it be obvious which one of the INTV joystick cords is for the INTV 2 controller, which plugs into the INTV 2 console, and which is for the Genesis?

My biggest question is with Flashback modded INTV 1's. Haven't gotten an answer within a month. And no new news since last post, just the announcement and a couple of "I want one"s. Update and answers please?

Edited by tripletopper

• 2 weeks later...

I'll pay an extra amount, and it might sell more, if you have a Flashback switch on both the end that plugs into the Flashbsck-modded INTV 1, or an INTV Flashback in one way and an INTV 2 in the other way. There also needs to be a FB/2 switch on joystick end, so I don't have to buy an INTV 2 pad on Ebay. Especially if you can add that feature for cheaper than any external mods and the ebay price of finding an INTV 2 joystick on ebay. I bought 3 flashback pads, 2 for the joystick ports and one for fight stick modding, as well as 2 INTV1 console -> Flashback stick cables installed on my INTV 1. Have you considered what to do about INTV 1 owners, and INTV Flashback owners, and INTV 1 Flashback Modders in anticipation for the Fight Stick mod?

Assuming my PS2-> Genesis adapter works with the INTV mod, everything else is good except the Flashback issue. If you don't make any special modifications to the circuit, which it may be too late to do, what else would I need to buy and plug in to get it working with 3 Flashback pads, and a Flashback-moded INTV 1? Consider that I sold my INTV 1 pads for Flashback pads, and I don't have my INTV 1 controllers anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to buy 2 of these made for port 1 and port 2. Also if it's cheaper than buying 9 pin->9pin adapters from nurmix, maybe add a INTV2/INTV FB switch which can let you use it on an INTV 2 or Flashback input machines AND controllers, I'll pay extra for Flashback/INTV 2 switch on both the joystick end and the console end.

And I'd like the Genesis version. SO I can use it with my PS@ rifght-handed stick with a PS2->Genesis adapter.

I assume 7800fan is the programmer of these devices. Haven't heard from him/her since July. I'd like a response on a USB connector with a Male and Female power plug. to plug the INTV and 5V power plug into the same plug on the surge protector. And an answer about the Flashback hookup too. I bought 2 INTV1 machine-> Flashback controller hookups to specifically hook up a Fight Stick to my INTV 1, and I sold my INTV 1 sticks and bought 2 Flashback controllers.

I'm seeing what Nurmix's price for 2 copies FB controllers -> INTV2 machine adapters as well as either 2 INTV1 machine -> INTV2 controller adapters, or 2 Flashback console -> INTV 2 controller adapters. If yoiu can compensate for Flashback controllers for cheaper than Nurmix's adapters, I'll say make that an optional feature.

Also 7800fan, if I didn't have INTV1 machine -> FB controller adapters, how are one of these supposed to work with an INTV 1, and how are Coleco games supposed to work if it only works for the INTV 2?

I haven't heard a response from 7800fan. A little update on the Flashback and USB sitch, please?

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't written in 3 weeks, any updates? Are you waiting on the slow boat from China? Are you trying to find a way to power it without running into the Genesis/SegaCD/32X problem? Are you adding Flashback switches on both sides?

Also I've had problems when I "double translated" PS2-> Xbox 360-> Switch, but got much better results going from PS2->GameCube->Switch via Wii U GC Port Adapter.

So even though it MAY work with PS2 fight stick being double translated, there's a good chance it won't.

If it doesn't I assume it would work with a fight stick pad-hack modded Genesis 3-button or Atari Jaguar Standard controller?

Sign me up for one of each: One Genesis, One Jaguar. I'm definitely having modded a Genesis 3 button pad for the few 3-button Genesis games , master System and 7800, and aJag pad too.