IGNORED

"GameStop Enters Sellout Talks"

Austin

Wow...I've always had pretty good experience in a GameStop when I've actually gone to shop there in the past. I don't do it often as most of my modern games come from the larger stores. But on several occasions, I've ordered stuff from them because they were the only place offering a game in physical form at that time. In fact I'm waiting on that email or phone call from them soon to tell me my copy of Metal Wolf Chaos for the PS4 is ready for pickup. If they could stick with getting more exclusive games to only be released through them, it would help. As for retro, I thought they were already dabbling in this now? Now that I see any retro games in the GS stores in my area, but online right? The only way to make room for a decent selection of retro stuff in their current stores, would be to reduce pretty much all the ThinkGeek stuff and other useless stuff that isn't actual a video game off their shelves. Even then, they wouldn't have the selection that dedicated retro shops in my town carry and naturally their pricing wouldn't likely be as friendly or rather competitive either.

But yeah, I've had good experience. There have been a few times when I went in there and they just grab the empty case shell I pulled off the rack and put the disc in, but then there have been other times when I've handed the opened game case off the shelf, and the guy at the counter is like hold on while I get you a new one. And he comes back with a still shrink sealed never opened copy of the game. So I really think it depends on the people working the stores that are largely to blame for your experience and not so much the store image itself.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2019 at 1:20 PM, -^Cro§Bow^- said:

Wow...I've always had pretty good experience in a GameStop when I've actually gone to shop there in the past. I don't do it often as most of my modern games come from the larger stores. But on several occasions, I've ordered stuff from them because they were the only place offering a game in physical form at that time. In fact I'm waiting on that email or phone call from them soon to tell me my copy of Metal Wolf Chaos for the PS4 is ready for pickup. If they could stick with getting more exclusive games to only be released through them, it would help. As for retro, I thought they were already dabbling in this now? Now that I see any retro games in the GS stores in my area, but online right? The only way to make room for a decent selection of retro stuff in their current stores, would be to reduce pretty much all the ThinkGeek stuff and other useless stuff that isn't actual a video game off their shelves. Even then, they wouldn't have the selection that dedicated retro shops in my town carry and naturally their pricing wouldn't likely be as friendly or rather competitive either.

But yeah, I've had good experience. There have been a few times when I went in there and they just grab the empty case shell I pulled off the rack and put the disc in, but then there have been other times when I've handed the opened game case off the shelf, and the guy at the counter is like hold on while I get you a new one. And he comes back with a still shrink sealed never opened copy of the game. So I really think it depends on the people working the stores that are largely to blame for your experience and not so much the store image itself.

They only do that if it is the last copy.  Their display stock is just sitting on the shelfs, easy prey for shoplifters, but cool for gamers who want to read the back of the box.  Otherwise they would have to go the route of Walmart and Target and keep everything locked up.  If the last copy is all jacked up, just don't buy it or ask for a new case.  I've asked for a new case for grungy display copies several times at Gamestop and I've never had an issue.  I also do that at used mom and pop game stores as well, as they usually have a mountain of sports games in the back, with a few good cases here and there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes

“While these changes are difficult, they were necessary to reduce costs and better align the organization with our efforts to optimize the business to meet our future objectives and success factors. We recognize that this is a difficult day for our company and particularly for those associates impacted. We appreciate their dedication and service to GameStop and are committed to supporting them during this time of transition.”

Anyone still working there should GTFO ASAP, this isn't going to end well. 

On 7/18/2019 at 11:03 AM, Agamon said:

Boardgame cafes are literally already things, and are very popular up here in Canada (there's, like 8 of them here in Edmonton).

Not sure a "video game cafe" is a thing that would be legal, but someone in Calgary is giving it a go: https://supersmashcafe.ca/

One popped up here a couple of years ago, and it’s just about the busiest place here in Peace River (population 7000).  Aside from the pot store. Now THAT’S a business model for today’s small town in Canada — DND, video games, and “special” edibles. :)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

At one point, didn't Game Informer have the biggest distribution of any paper magazine? Even if they have it away, that was impressive for a while. Not that print is a useful/profitable means of conveying this kind of information anymore, at least in the US. 

Biggest video game magazine and 4th largest consumer magazine, according to this press release from last year.

http://news.gamestop.com/news-releases/news-release-details/game-informer-magazine-celebrates-300th-issue

• Like 1

I just don't get the appeal of Game Informer, never have.  I know when it was in its earlier days they were pretty seedy as it was more of a rag just to sell games for whoever sucked up to them the most/bribed them the most with things to get more cozy push to drive sales.  But now 300+ issues later the internet has taken over long ago, and even that has even now by people who know have written that off as dishonest too.  It's not hard to look back at the Gerstman story, the other pointed out data about taking bribes to offer better reviews, holding ad revenue as another means, etc.  So in the end what is even the point of GI now, discounts?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I just don't get the appeal of Game Informer, never have.  I know when it was in its earlier days they were pretty seedy as it was more of a rag just to sell games for whoever sucked up to them the most/bribed them the most with things to get more cozy push to drive sales.  But now 300+ issues later the internet has taken over long ago, and even that has even now by people who know have written that off as dishonest too.  It's not hard to look back at the Gerstman story, the other pointed out data about taking bribes to offer better reviews, holding ad revenue as another means, etc.  So in the end what is even the point of GI now, discounts?

I'm not even really sure, lol- I only have a sub because I still have a GameStop Pro Rewards membership.  Maybe I'm part of the problem!  :P  When I get my magazines, I usually leaf through the 'reviews' and sometimes the letters; in all these magazines I tend to read them back-to-front.

As far as 'Pro Rewards', you get a miniscule amount (5 or 10%?) off used games and purportedly more for trade-ins.  

speaking on that, maybe i should go check out how many points i have saved up and redeem them before GS closes their doors. lol

I'm pretty sure it's a base 10% increase in credit on turn ins, and it is 10% more off the sticker price on buying second hand too.  They also often enough run strange promos where they'll boost one or the other for credit intake or more of a slice by various means in buying second hand normal people won't get.  The problem is paying the $15(?) a year for the magazine may add up to quite a few second hand games to get your money back but after that you do get the benefit if you're a regular buyer.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'm pretty sure it's a base 10% increase in credit on turn ins, and it is 10% more off the sticker price on buying second hand too.  They also often enough run strange promos where they'll boost one or the other for credit intake or more of a slice by various means in buying second hand normal people won't get.  The problem is paying the $15(?) a year for the magazine may add up to quite a few second hand games to get your money back but after that you do get the benefit if you're a regular buyer.

Thanks for the clarification! :) 

I'm usually in there because we happen to be in town that day and sometimes i have zero impulse control when it comes to buying new games. lol

On 8/24/2019 at 5:52 PM, digdugnate said:

Biggest video game magazine and 4th largest consumer magazine, according to this press release from last year.

http://news.gamestop.com/news-releases/news-release-details/game-informer-magazine-celebrates-300th-issue

I still remember getting the 200th issue with the top 200 games ever made. I bought a Pro rewards card back in the Wii heyday, and I remember this article fondly because it prominently featured a bunch of retro games.

I wish I still had that issue. Eventually I let my Pro sub lapse, and the Game Informer mags stopped appearing at my door...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kosmic Stardust said:

I still remember getting the 200th issue with the top 200 games ever made. I bought a Pro rewards card back in the Wii heyday, and I remember this article fondly because it prominently featured a bunch of retro games.

I wish I still had that issue. Eventually I let my Pro sub lapse, and the Game Informer mags stopped appearing at my door...

FWIW, i checked my collection and i started at issue 211. :)  I knew I'd be close so wanted to see if i had that one.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this from an article about them closing stores:

"Beyond just selling games, though, GameStop wants to transform itself to create "a social and cultural hub of gaming within each GameStop store." That means testing more "try before you buy" experiences in stores, planning in-store gatherings around esports viewing, and creating other "high margin immersive experiential gaming content" designed to bring gamers together in a physical space. Not every GameStop location will be completely remodeled by this initiative, but key locations in certain markets will be testing out more and more ideas along these lines, Sherman said."

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/09/gamestop-plans-up-to-200-store-closures-expects-many-more-on-the-way/

I'll credit them with saying they want to try something other than doing the same thing they've been doing for the past 25 years. Attracting a crowd is hard enough. Getting them to open their wallets will be even harder. The current pawn shop vibe of that store doesn't really go with the idea of big spenders. 

Part of what I (n=1) like about computer games is that they're cheap, and you don't have to interact with others. But they don't want me, they want younger addicts. 

If VR is ever going to take off, it will need a brick and mortar presence for showroom demos. Maybe Gamestop could get into that. Some say there's gold in them thar headsets. 

Anyone have any thoughts about their 50,000 employees, who the company has spun as the largest force of game-only retail employees in the business? 

11 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

If VR is ever going to take off, it will need a brick and mortar presence for showroom demos. Maybe Gamestop could get into that. Some say there's gold in them thar headsets. 

What if they were VR-only and the demo was walking around inside of a virtual Gamestop?

image.jpg

• Like 1