IGNORED

"GameStop Enters Sellout Talks"

Austin

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

Do they still publish Game Informer magazine?

Can confirm.  I signed up for their whatever rewards thing awhile back to get a discount on my FB9, and I still get issues delivered.

I will say - it's actually not half bad as mags go.  There was a SUPER funny article spoofing a new MK game, saying that they really wanted to spook gamers and had run out of ideas with ways to mutilate bodies, so instead of doing a fatality, Kano would reach up and bend a pipe in Scorpion's house, costing him thousands in repairs.  Other fatalities included dead spots on the lawn and things of this nature, so they could really get to the fears of their client base.  :P

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

And don't forget the complimentary script-reading asking you if you would like to join the rewards club, pre-order something else, or trade in parts of your collection for pennies on the dollar. Do they still publish Game Informer magazine?

Also: Would you like to trade in your phone? 

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Sure. You want my pants, too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/25/2020 at 9:38 AM, Flojomojo said:

And don't forget the complimentary script-reading asking you if you would like to join the rewards club, pre-order something else, or trade in parts of your collection for pennies on the dollar. Do they still publish Game Informer magazine?

On 3/25/2020 at 10:04 AM, Tempest said:

No I think it went online only then disappeared.

That explains why everytime I renew my Power Rewards membership, strictly to buy used games even cheaper, I can never be able to log on to read the digital version.  And why would I even pay more for the magazine that'll just take up more space which I don't even have in my house?

And now that I can't even go into the stores anymore, that was a waste of money...should have gotten an Amazon Prime sub instead.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 6:09 PM, MrMaddog said:

That explains why everytime I renew my Power Rewards membership, strictly to buy used games even cheaper, I can never be able to log on to read the digital version.  And why would I even pay more for the magazine that'll just take up more space which I don't even have in my house?

And now that I can't even go into the stores anymore, that was a waste of money...should have gotten an Amazon Prime sub instead.

i was on the fence about renewing- they were hassling me the last time i think in January.  In retrospect, I guess I made a good decision, lol.

That being said, also, I have a milk crate full of those darn magazines in our bedroom.

• Haha 3

Anybody remember funcoland…or other video game stores in the past? 
All of them I hold with a certain amount of derision.
Sometime in the 90's I was at one of these stores and I made the decision to never buy games from there if I can help it, so when GameStop ‘took over’…mainly because they had a web presence….I wasn't a fan from the beginning, avoided them at all costs. EBay was my main tool for collecting in the 90’s/early 00’s until that went to crap. So glad i got a lot of that done during those years.  

• Like 2

This is probably old news, but I was looking at Gamestop's Wikipedia, and I found out Reggie is now one of Gamestop's board of directors as of March 2020.

In March 2020, four members of GameStop's Board of Directors - Dan DeMatteo, Gerald Szczepanski, Larry Zilavy, and Steve Koonin - stepped down and were replaced by Reggie Fils-Aimé, Bill Simon and J.K. Symancyk as part of the company's effort to turn around the business.[74]

1 hour ago, Magmavision2000 said:

This is probably old news, but I was looking at Gamestop's Wikipedia, and I found out Reggie is now one of Gamestop's board of directors as of March 2020.

Hide contents

In March 2020, four members of GameStop's Board of Directors - Dan DeMatteo, Gerald Szczepanski, Larry Zilavy, and Steve Koonin - stepped down and were replaced by Reggie Fils-Aimé, Bill Simon and J.K. Symancyk as part of the company's effort to turn around the business.[74]

here's the Venture Beat article on it- https://venturebeat.com/2020/03/09/reggie-fils-aime-gamestop/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Meh, he's probably filthy stupid rich already.  If GameStop wants to toss him a couple hundred grand to sit in on conference calls until the ship sinks, he's probably fine with that.  I'd feel the same way.

• Like 2

As someone who is always 3 or 4 years behind on released I did frequent them often as I'd rather buy a used game for 10 or 20 bucks than digitally download one for 40 or 50. I really don't need them anymore though as I can usually find stuff on Ebay or Amazon and get it by the end of the week. I will miss being able to dig through specials or maybe if I had a controller crash or something but I can get those at wal mart I guess if there was some sort of gaming emergency.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I am bumping an old thread, but this fits. Prior to the pandemic, one of our Game Stop stores closed. Not a big deal as the inventory was moved to a local store with a lot more floor space.

Well, that store just found out on Thursday that it being closed. This time, the inventory is being liquidated (30-40% off new depending on platform, 50-60% off used depending on platform, 60% off everything else). Needless to say, my daughter and I cleaned them out of some of the better Switch titles, and Control for the PS4 for $9? Heck, yes.

This was a store that sees a lot of traffic. They were still making money when they were allowed to open again, and they got this warning without warning or a clear reason. So, is this happening nationally?

That will leave us without a local Game Stop. I don't mind that so much since I had taken my business elsewhere long ago, but I'll probably go back to see what odds and ends might be left when there is even more of a % off.

• Like 2

There's 2 Game Stops here....One in the mall and one a few doors down from Target, which is across from The Mall.  (FWIW,  my town is small enough there's just one mall (which I am referring to as "The Mall" (Technically Frontier Mall, even though we call it "The Mall", Except there is a tiny place downtown with a nice, airy hallway, a sunlight, some plants and maybe 3 or 4 businesses, that has Actually always been called "The Mall", though nobody calls it that now,  no matter what the sign says,  but I digress)...

Anyway, and confusing side anecdotes notwithstanding;  I last went to the one in the Mall, once in 2017,  then the one by Target in 2019 for a PS1 Classic at $20...And I went back TODAY!  The one by Target had used Wii U games and I bought 3 of them!   HMMmmm... Who knew they'd be good for anything these days?

If I get some more money saved up to spend on games,  I may yet have to go to The Frontier Mall location and see what they've got.

Now I'd like to preface this by saying... I live in the middle of nowhere. (Not the literal town of Nowhere, OK)

I used to have 2 GameStops that were reasonably close to me (25ish minute drive), and within the last year, both of them have closed down.

The first one was just in an odd/bad spot, and I don't think it was getting a lot of business. I really only stopped there randomly when I was bargain hunting or searching for something odd/cheap to grab (IE wasting money). It was one of those small, hole-in-the-wall style stores and was never great IMO. 

The second one... was a bit of a sad loss for me. It was one of the bigger GameStops in the nearby area, and I've used it for the last like 10+ years for various things. I used to enjoy going there, but within the last 3-4 years I wasn't frequenting it as much. It made me a bit sad to learn they were closing... Although I haven't been using it as much, it used to be a great store with fun/knowledgeable associates who weren't bearing down on you. Granted that changed within the past few years (big reason I stopped going). I managed to snag some good deals before they closed. I even got a few posters they were just giving away.

HOWEVER! I did happen to ask one of the associates what happened, and the reason for their closing is kinda sad/terrible. The biggest reason they were closing down is because they weren't getting enough used games in. (Mostly because of COVID)  Of course, the main money maker for GameStop is their trade-ins. On top of that, trade-ins get people in the door so they buy their collectible items (trash) which are a secondary big money maker. No trade-ins means less foot traffic and that means less sales, so they ended up not making the cut. 

I mean it doesn't help that GameStop hasn't been doing well for a while, but it's sad to see a giant empty store front where I used to have some good memories. (MY NOSTALGIA!) 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

The one by Target had used Wii U games and I bought 3 of them!  

I can sometimes sit on used game purchases and not play them for a long time.  In the case of Wii U games though, you should test them.  Wii U disks have a very high failure rate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KeeperofLindblum said:

I mean it doesn't help that GameStop hasn't been doing well for a while, but it's sad to see a giant empty store front where I used to have some good memories. (MY NOSTALGIA!) 

This applies a lot to me. Not necessarily for GameStop, but for others like a certain RadioShack store. Or CompUSA, one of which is now a sporting goods warehouse with a 20meter facade and the other a used furniture shop. This used furniture shop used to be a Tiger Direct, CompUSA, and in the 1970's an OLSON ELECTRONICS! Remember playing with PET and wandering the endless aisles of discrete electronic parts like motors, capacitors, resistors, and switches. Loved those pre-made assembly packs for like calculators. Had all the parts and board pre-made, you just needed a case and battery holder. All among so much other cool stuff you cannot find anywhere today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wongojack said:

I can sometimes sit on used game purchases and not play them for a long time.  In the case of Wii U games though, you should test them.  Wii U disks have a very high failure rate.

Is that because they're more prone to wear/abuse, or are they that way when they're factory fresh?