IGNORED

"GameStop Enters Sellout Talks"

Austin

1 hour ago, godslabrat said:

Is that because they're more prone to wear/abuse, or are they that way when they're factory fresh?

Yeah, I've heard reports here on AtariAge of brand new games having a problem.  Thread:  

Besides that thread, I have heard other reports on Facebook groups and stuff of people with A LOT of Wii U games that fail.  I'm not sure how many are actually certified as brand new, but it is definitely more than just a coincidence.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The thing about Game Stop is:

They could have Always sold Retro Items;  THEY CHOSE NOT TO.  

When they decided to "carry" Atari Flashbacks,  They could have carried each version,   The Atari Gold, The Activision, The HD versions, The Deluxe sets with Paddles included...THEY CHOSE NOT TO. 

Until last year or so, they only carried one shelf of SD models,  Not even the HD models!

They could have carried joysticks and extension cables, even clone systems by 8BITDO, Hyperkin, YOBO, ATGames, Old Skool, etc.  THEY CHOSE NOT TO.

They could have carried the Turbografx Mini (Unless Amazon prevented it, which is a distinct possibility).

They could have shut the F Up about Extended Warranties...THEY CHOSE NOT TO.

They could have offered me more than $4.12 for a game I paid $60 + Tax for not 2 weeks earlier.   THEY CHOSE NOT TO.

In short,

Game Stop could have been a successful video game chain but I rather think,

THEY CHOSE NOT TO.

• Like 3

There are/were select stores that do, but none of the ones near here did (as in 50 mile radius). They also sell retro games online. I have bought a few things online, though nothing expensive. Not willing to take the chance that something more expensive comes with a kid's sharpie or crayon marks all over it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Keatah said:

Question is why are they so averse to selling real retro stuff?

Especially puzzling since several of the companies they bought decades ago specialized in retro stuff.  This was a market they had in their back pocket, in an almost literal sense.

My thought is, GameStop really start throwing its weight around between 2005 and 2010, and during most of those years, retro titles weren't really big money.  GameStop beancounters got it in their heads that it was a market that wasn't worth bothering with, and as is so common in corporate America, considered the matter settled and didn't revisit the decision until the Retro market was massive and doing gangbusters in 2016.  Then they try to jump-start a retro program in a cringy "How do you do, fellow kids?" fashion.   

Remember, this was AFTER their experts told them to spend stupid amounts of money to buy into the used cell phone market.  We aren't talking about one bad decision, this was a trend.

I also think that GameStop stores, physically, are poor fits for retro titles, which need a lot of floorspace as well as extra TLC in terms of packaging and handling.  GameStop stores often barely have enough space for current-gen systems, asking them to carry retro stuff was not realistic.  Whoever brought that up when making the decisions was being an uncharacteristic voice of reason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I personally haven't stepped back into my local Gamestop now for a good many months. I've let my "Pro" subscription go by the wayside, but I'm still getting their magazine. Hmm, not sure why that's happening..but I digress. I've been purchasing digital copies through game cards I can put on my account, and if I really want a physical game, I go to Walmart. Most times, however, it's just easier for me to shop digitally and buy games that way. Gamestop disappointed me in their practices, and you could say that I finally opened my eyes to their trade-in policies. How much money have I lost over the years? More than I wish to think about...

Thanks for the memories, my local Gamestop, but adieu to you...the sooner the better. Although another store going out of business in my downtown of West Lebanon NH is staring to make the whole shopping center districts look like a ghost town. :(

22 minutes ago, Keatah said:

GameStop did used cellphones??

Useless crap!

Yeah, when it was clear that mobile gaming was the "Next Big Thing", GameStop's plan was to go from being a company with zero debt to putting half a billion dollars on their credit cards to shove their way into the cell phone market.  If it weren't for that blunder, GameStop would be looking at a much softer landing.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 12:37 PM, Keatah said:

Question is why are they so averse to selling real retro stuff?

Teens that don't give a fig aren't good at dealing retro items. You really need to know what you're doing when dealing with older stuff. This is why all of their retro ventures failed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Yet they find plenty of room for Bobble-Heads or whatever the fugg those things are!

6 hours ago, Keatah said:

GameStop did used cellphones??

Useless crap!

I have always wondered what is the flash point for those stupid figures or what a bunch would look like after coming out of an autoclave....

• Haha 1

I signed up for their "Pro" thing back in December or so, as it helped when I was returning unwanted games I had purchased for nieces/nephews.  Trading them in at GameStop with the trade bonus was a better deal than driving around town to return them new -- again, that sort of thing rarely happens, but they had some crazy trade-in promotion going on.

My $14.99 purchase also gave me their crazy-sounding new promo, the "$5 off any purchase each month" rewards program.

So far, I've purchased $80 in Nintendo eShop credit for $40... adding in the cost of the membership, I've paid $65 for $80 in digital credit.  Assuming GameStop doesn't go bankrupt before this coming January,  I'll have purchased $120 in eShop credit at a 45% discount.

I still don't get how GameStop makes any money off that, but I assume most folks aren't as cheap as I am.

• Like 2