Austin

"GameStop Enters Sellout Talks"

25 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Do they still publish Game Informer magazine?

No I think it went online only then disappeared.

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

Do they still publish Game Informer magazine?

Can confirm.  I signed up for their whatever rewards thing awhile back to get a discount on my FB9, and I still get issues delivered.

I will say - it's actually not half bad as mags go.  There was a SUPER funny article spoofing a new MK game, saying that they really wanted to spook gamers and had run out of ideas with ways to mutilate bodies, so instead of doing a fatality, Kano would reach up and bend a pipe in Scorpion's house, costing him thousands in repairs.  Other fatalities included dead spots on the lawn and things of this nature, so they could really get to the fears of their client base.  :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree, it was a fine magazine, especially considering it was the last one standing. Did the quality hold up after the mass layoffs a while back?

• Like 1

Really?  I could have sworn they stopped the physical mag.  I must be thinking of a different one.

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

And don't forget the complimentary script-reading asking you if you would like to join the rewards club, pre-order something else, or trade in parts of your collection for pennies on the dollar. Do they still publish Game Informer magazine?

Also: Would you like to trade in your phone? 

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Sure. You want my pants, too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/25/2020 at 9:38 AM, Flojomojo said:

And don't forget the complimentary script-reading asking you if you would like to join the rewards club, pre-order something else, or trade in parts of your collection for pennies on the dollar. Do they still publish Game Informer magazine?

On 3/25/2020 at 10:04 AM, Tempest said:

No I think it went online only then disappeared.

That explains why everytime I renew my Power Rewards membership, strictly to buy used games even cheaper, I can never be able to log on to read the digital version.  And why would I even pay more for the magazine that'll just take up more space which I don't even have in my house?

And now that I can't even go into the stores anymore, that was a waste of money...should have gotten an Amazon Prime sub instead.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 6:09 PM, MrMaddog said:

That explains why everytime I renew my Power Rewards membership, strictly to buy used games even cheaper, I can never be able to log on to read the digital version.  And why would I even pay more for the magazine that'll just take up more space which I don't even have in my house?

And now that I can't even go into the stores anymore, that was a waste of money...should have gotten an Amazon Prime sub instead.

i was on the fence about renewing- they were hassling me the last time i think in January.  In retrospect, I guess I made a good decision, lol.

That being said, also, I have a milk crate full of those darn magazines in our bedroom.

• Haha 3

On 3/31/2020 at 7:52 PM, digdugnate said:

That being said, also, I have a milk crate full of those darn magazines in our bedroom.

Good fuel for a summer BBQ.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anybody remember funcoland…or other video game stores in the past? 
All of them I hold with a certain amount of derision.
Sometime in the 90's I was at one of these stores and I made the decision to never buy games from there if I can help it, so when GameStop ‘took over’…mainly because they had a web presence….I wasn't a fan from the beginning, avoided them at all costs. EBay was my main tool for collecting in the 90’s/early 00’s until that went to crap. So glad i got a lot of that done during those years.  

• Like 1

This is probably old news, but I was looking at Gamestop's Wikipedia, and I found out Reggie is now one of Gamestop's board of directors as of March 2020.

In March 2020, four members of GameStop's Board of Directors - Dan DeMatteo, Gerald Szczepanski, Larry Zilavy, and Steve Koonin - stepped down and were replaced by Reggie Fils-Aimé, Bill Simon and J.K. Symancyk as part of the company's effort to turn around the business.[74]

1 hour ago, Magmavision2000 said:

This is probably old news, but I was looking at Gamestop's Wikipedia, and I found out Reggie is now one of Gamestop's board of directors as of March 2020.

Hide contents

In March 2020, four members of GameStop's Board of Directors - Dan DeMatteo, Gerald Szczepanski, Larry Zilavy, and Steve Koonin - stepped down and were replaced by Reggie Fils-Aimé, Bill Simon and J.K. Symancyk as part of the company's effort to turn around the business.[74]

here's the Venture Beat article on it- https://venturebeat.com/2020/03/09/reggie-fils-aime-gamestop/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Meh, he's probably filthy stupid rich already.  If GameStop wants to toss him a couple hundred grand to sit in on conference calls until the ship sinks, he's probably fine with that.  I'd feel the same way.

• Like 2