IGNORED

raycasting with Dpc+

Trip2018

I would like to make a Raycaster for a game i'm working on but all the engines I found didn't work, are in assembly and hard to implement, or just don't suit my needs.

Needs:

Interactive sprites that move around the map

doors (windows maybe) and changing walls

on/off toggle to switch between main game and a screen/menu

what do you think?

I know how to scale sprites and provide layering.

However I'm confused as to how I can accomplish the calculations needed.

Thx. :D

I think somewhere on RandomTerrain's bB commands page that dpc+ pfpixel has three arguments, y, x1, x2.

Also, I never heard of SpiceC.

SpiceC is an upcoming C compiler for DPC+. Not out yet.

If pfpixel works for DPC+ then, well.. there you go! I'd start testing out using that command to plot pixels where you hit a ray.

My hunch is that you need to resort to straight assembly. There's a game called Merlin's Walls that just barely does it.. and, it has to do it sideways.

First:

I think somewhere on RandomTerrain's bB commands page that dpc+ pfpixel has three arguments, y, x1, x2.

I meant x, y1, y2 :P

Second:

I'm taking some info from this and this

Both require trigonometry and square roots. Is that even achievable in bB (or the 2600 in general)?

Both require trigonometry and square roots. Is that even achievable in bB (or the 2600 in general)?

I was playing around with ray casting the other day. The algorithm I used was based on this article. The equation with sqrt is simplified so that sqrt is not actually required.

For sin() I just created a lookup table with 128 elements. This is easier than using radians or degrees because a simple bitwise and with $7F will always convert an angle to the proper range. cos() can be accomplished with the same table. You just have to offset by 1/4 rotation before anding with $7F.

vec2 rotate(int direction, vec2 vec)
{
	f32 s = SineLookup[direction & 0x7f];
	f32 c = SineLookup[((direction + 32) & 0x7f)];

vec2 v =
	{
		F32Add(F32Mul(c, vec.x), F32Mul(s, vec.y)),
		F32Add(F32Mul(F32Mul(F32(-1), s), vec.x), F32Mul(c, vec.y))
	};
	return v;
}

SpiceC is an upcoming C compiler for DPC+. Not out yet.

Close, for CDF not DPC+ :)

Also, I never heard of SpiceC.

If you might be interested then follow my blog series on SpiceC. There's just a few entries so far as RL intervened - we learned another definition for TIA (dad's doing much better now) and took a vacation for a road trip to Wisconsin. I'll be returning to work on SpiceC next month.

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

[NON PROGRAMMER TAKING HERE] you know for the amount of raycasting games on the vcs , im suprised we havent yet had a port of 'doom' or the doom-style, as opposed to simple maze style games- recently i got a rom off here that is similar to a doom style game, but with a smaller portion of the screen for viewing, while the rest of the screen is for other things, it looks pretty good though. but i mean what about a full screen raycasting shooter---