IGNORED

Most intense/psychedelic PSVR games?

Rick Dangerous

I am going to snap up a PSVR soon, and it's not to play regular games on. I want to be transported to another dimension, a la Lawnmower man.

Any recommendations for the most visually intense games, with neon graphics and thumping techno soundtracks? Or otherwise good games that best take advantage of the VR tech for a cool experience? :)

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I am going to snap up a PSVR soon, and it's not to play regular games on. I want to be transported to another dimension, a la Lawnmower man.

Any recommendations for the most visually intense games, with neon graphics and thumping techno soundtracks? Or otherwise good games that best take advantage of the VR tech for a cool experience? :)

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you want games like Rez and Thumper. Also "Tetris Effect" was just announced which is Tetris with those kinds of visual effects, look up the trailer.

"Beat Saber" was also just announced, it has neon graphics and is a rhythm game where you are holding virtual "light sabers" and have to slash blocks to the beat. It might sound weird but everyone who's tried it raves about it.

Wipeout - Futuristic racing game with impressive visuals and techno soundtrack, one of the top-rated PSVR games

Superhot - another one people Rave about, it's like being in the matrix where you can slow down time.

"VR Worlds" - it's five different minigames that show off VR potential

I'll probably think of more later

• Like 2

Wipeout - Futuristic racing game with impressive visuals and techno soundtrack, one of the top-rated PSVR games

I bought "the Wipeout Collection" at Best Buy yesterday for $20. I take it there is a newer game that has a VR specific title or?

Or is my Omega collection VR compatible? :)

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 1

Or is my Omega collection VR compatible? :)

It is. You just need the update. If it doesn't install itself the first time you play the game, try just turning on your PSVR and starting the game and see if it downloads then. I can't remember what the process actually was, but the whole game is in VR.

It's one of the best VR games on the system. But you also definitely need Rez Infinite. Most of that game is just a port of the original Rez, which is still awesome in VR, but the final level is a new one made just for PSVR and it's mindblowing.

I also really recommend Battlezone.

• Like 1

Travis, what's the best deal on a PSVR package?

Psychedelic arcade games (Polybius, Rez, Wipeout) are the only thing that interest me. I'd enjoy the Star Wars cockpit thing once or twice, too.

Doom, yuck, Skyrim, yawn.

I already have a camera and a single Move stick. Is there a barebones pack for me?

You can get the headset by itself if you aren't afraid of third party sellers... there's a couple on Wal-Mart.com selling it for $199. But the least expensive official package is the Gran Turismo Sport bundle that comes with the camera and GT Sport, which they have for $245. (I think it's $249 most places.)

I'd just get the bundle and sell your other camera, you'll probably get $50 for it anyway. It might be a good idea regardless, depending on which version of the camera you have. It could just be people trying to justify their purchase but I've read some say that PSVR works better with the newer (round) camera.

I understand why they only sell it with the camera, because it's necessary for PSVR to work so if someone were to buy just the headset by itself and didn't have the camera, Sony'd be fielding a lot of nasty support calls.

A couple other game recommendations:

Thumper - though you might not need it if you have Wipeout Omega Collection. Check out the trailer, anyway:

Superhot VR:

I do also think the Star Wars Battlefront thing is worth playing, though it's short. But you're really flying an X-Wing! And this game is super-cheap these days.

Get PlayStation VR Worlds too if it doesn't come with your bundle (I'm not sure if it still does or not) - there is some really cool, transportive stuff on that, especially the ocean thing and Scavenger's Odyssey:

Oh and I *love* Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, which is both a fantastic rail shooter *and* a great horror game:

On that note, get the VR demo for Resident Evil 7 and see if you'd like playing it in VR. It's definitely an *intense* experience. A little too intense for me.

That's about it for now...

• Like 2

Psychedelic arcade games (Polybius, Rez, Wipeout) are the only thing that interest me. I'd enjoy the Star Wars cockpit thing once or twice, too.

I already have a camera and a single Move stick. Is there a barebones pack for me?

I bought mine new off ebay for $185 ($199 with a $15 discount)

Just the headset, I already had the camera

So they do sell just the headset, but they are harder to find as it seems most people want bundles

Edited by zzip
  • Like 1

• Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is really good. It's an on the rails shooter, but it's done really well and is a great time killer

Dirt Rally is fun, but the VR mode is a $10 DLC which kind of pissed me off. Still, it's better VR racing sim than Gran Turismo Sport

Wipeout Omega is great. It has a lot of view options to help prevent motion sickness

Also, you can't go wrong with any of the demos. Lots of great stuff to try out and kill time

Edited by TDIRunner

I'm not aware of any VR games that use only one Move controller. I've either used both Move controllers, or none.

I have the Gran Turismo VR package. It's a little cheaper because it doesn't include any Move controllers. This pack worked for me because I bought two Move controllers back when they first came out on PS3.

Edited by TDIRunner

• Dirt Rally is fun, but the VR mode is a $10 DLC which kind of pissed me off. Still, it's better VR racing sim than Gran Turismo Sport

Dirt Rally does on sale for really good prices from time to time. I got it including the VR mode for no more than $15 a month or two back. I'm glad I didn't pay more, because I didn't like it. It's not my type of racing game.

Dirt Rally does on sale for really good prices from time to time. I got it including the VR mode for no more than $15 a month or two back. I'm glad I didn't pay more, because I didn't like it. It's not my type of racing game.

That's too bad. Did you not enjoy the VR experience, or are you just not into sim rally racing games?

I'm a big fan of rally racing games, especially the Dirt series. While Dirt Rally is nice for the VR mode, I've put a lot of hours into Dirt 4 using nothing but their proceduraly generated rally race courses. I've never even bothered with the career mode. It's too bad they didn't include a VR mode on Dirt 4.

• 4 weeks later...

That's too bad. Did you not enjoy the VR experience, or are you just not into sim rally racing games?

I'm a big fan of rally racing games, especially the Dirt series. While Dirt Rally is nice for the VR mode, I've put a lot of hours into Dirt 4 using nothing but their proceduraly generated rally race courses. I've never even bothered with the career mode. It's too bad they didn't include a VR mode on Dirt 4.

I guess Rally Sim is not for me.

Why yuck? If you don't like FPSs, well yeah, ok. But once you set it up right for VR (go to smooth motion movement)...the freaking game is amazing. AMAZING.

(I actually agree Skyrim is a yawner, I was at that point even in the standard version. I still fire it up just to walk around every once in a while though...pretty immersive.)

Psychedelic games only? Drugs are bad, mmmkay? :D (luckily no one can pull me over in Wipeout VR, ahem...)

Ultra violence just isn't my bag, baby.

It's funny that you replied when you did. I have the day to myself (which rarely happens) and I considered getting a PSVR ...but I decided to keep my $300 and play some neglected stuff I already have.

Who knows, maybe it will include some non-VR Doom and Skyrim, both of which I own on multiple platforms for some reason.

Ultra violence just isn't my bag, baby.

It's funny that you replied when you did. I have the day to myself (which rarely happens) and I considered getting a PSVR ...but I decided to keep my $300 and play some neglected stuff I already have.

Who knows, maybe it will include some non-VR Doom and Skyrim, both of which I own on multiple platforms for some reason.

Understood. Doom VFR should be the model for all VR FPSs tho (of which there should be many, MANY more). It's basically perfect.

I'm looking into Rez now actually....

• 4 weeks later...