IGNORED

First Review of RetroN 77

Metal Jesus

The first in-depth review of Hyperkin's RetroN 77 Atari 2600 HD clone system. The things I love about it...and things that need a bit more work!

PROS:
Runs real 2600 cartridges (approx 99% compatibility)
720P HD output
Supports original Atari joysticks and paddles
Toggle 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio
Super long controller cable
Looks nice
CONS:
Joystick may break during heavy use
Doesn't support more than 18 ROMS
Slight video/audio lag because of software emulation - This was determined using comparing the "feel" of HERO between a real Atari and the FGPA Atari "Walkman" I have.
Also... I didn't include it in the video, but the Atari driving controllers didn't work with Night Driver (button worked, but steering didn't) and the SuperCharger just blinked and didn't work either.
  • Like 11

...the Atari driving controllers didn't work with Night Driver (button worked, but steering didn't) and the SuperCharger just blinked and didn't work either.

The driving controllers don't work with Night Driver anyway. That game uses paddle controllers. :)

• Like 5

The driving controllers don't work with Night Driver anyway. That game uses paddle controllers. :)

Wait...what?! LOL

*tears off a corner of your geek card*

Only Indy 500 from the original games uses the Driving controllers. There are a few home-brews that do as well?

Even my real car, which has a steering wheel, doesn't spin all the way around. It works like a paddle!

• Like 5

Thanks for the info. Having input lag is a deal breaker for me. I really hope is a non-issue in the future.

Only way they would fully get rid of any lag is to go full FPGA, but would consumers be willing to pay for it?! People bitch about the Analogue Super NT mini at $190...

• Like 2

Even my real car, which has a steering wheel, doesn't spin all the way around. It works like a paddle!

That's funny!

Off topic: I want to see paddle that you can pull up and down, like the DOTRON controller. Then mount both in place of pinball flipper buttons. Now you have variable force and directional flippers. Whatever..

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Wait...what?! LOL

C'mon man, this isn't your first rodeo. ;) :P

Plus it says it right on the label. :P

And more to the point... why wouldn't they work?! That makes no sense. Seems like the innards of the two controllers would be similar, but I must be wrong...

They're actually very different internally. For one thing, the driving controller doesn't actually use a potentiometer, as I recall, and as a result outputs different electrical values...or something.

In any case, a game would have to be specifically programmed to use driving controllers; Night Driver was not.

• Like 1

Good to see that Stella 4 is performing well on this hardware; hopefully Stella 5 will be compatible too.

But overall, TBH it's kind of disheartening to see repeated mention that it would be so much better if it were using an FPGA (especially in the comments on the Youtube page). Really makes me kind of demotivated to see a lot of people basically saying that all the hard work that went into the emulation is wasted effort, and we should move to FPGA. There's still a lot of "emulation, so it must be crap" people around, it seems.

:sad:

• Like 8