IGNORED

Seeing the USA (ND, MN, WI, IL) in my Chevrolet, any arcades along the way?

BillyHW

Looking more closely at the image on Google Maps, it appears as though that was the location.

Take a look immediately to the left of the white door in the middle of the frame. You'll see a plaque mounted to the wall commemorating Twin Galaxies as the brithplace of competitive esports; it's this one:

V1I0R6G.png

For some reason I thought I saw the Twin Galaxies arcade still open in the King of Kong movie, but I guess I must be confused.

It's been years since I've watched that movie, but I don't believe that it was; the modern arcade footage was mostly shot at Funspot in New Hampshire, IIRC.

Having said that, I do seem to recall that there was some brief back-in-the-day footage of Twin Galaxies in the film, but it would have been from the early '80s.

Bear in mind too that that movie was released in 2007 and took about three years to put together. Things may have changed between now and then icon_wink.gif

Looking more closely at the image on Google Maps, it appears as though that was the location.

Take a look immediately to the left of the white door in the middle of the frame. You'll see a plaque mounted to the wall commemorating Twin Galaxies as the brithplace of competitive esports; it's this one:

V1I0R6G.png

There is an arcade in Quincy Place Mall in Ottumwa, IA. http://ottumwaoldschoolarcade.com/

Galloping Ghost DOES NOT have Invisible Monsters. It was bought by the Strong Museum in New York.

My mistake; somehow I thought that it ended up there. I do recall hearing about them getting another prototype around the time that Invisible Monsters surfaced, so may have conflated the two.

I visited Galloping Ghost about 3-4 years ago, and it was pretty awesome, even then (I think they've added a lot of games in the meantime). I was in there for 7 hours while my wife was at a work conference, and I felt like I really had to "skim" the place to make sure I tried all the games I wanted to play. In other words, at least another full day would have been easy to fill, but we headed home the next day.

Only complaint is that several of the games had wonky joysticks; that enormous collection means there is no way to keep everything in tip top shape. Also, with so many games in there, I couldn't hear the sound on some of the games either because it was drowned out by the ambient noise or the sound was disabled completely. I really need sound to enjoy most games.