IGNORED

Super A'Can

Well, this showed up in my YouTube suggested videos today:

Never expected to hear much about the Funtech Super A'Can. A few more videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bno-9-wFG2E

A review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxqefqUzjDA

I know folks here have probably heard of it, but has anyone ever owner or played this system?

• Like 1

A 32 bits add-on would be strange, the Super A'can is already a 32 bits system.

Mayb they mean that the system might looks like a SuFami clone, but it use a 32 bits CPU?

The Super A'Can is 32 bits the same way a Genesis is, if Sega didn't dare to call the 68K a 32bits (even Motorola considered it a 16/32 for all intents and purposes) I don't see why the Super A'Can would be any different.

And the add-on does look like a 32X of sorts so maybe they planned a way to update the Super A'Can prowess down the line with a real 32bits (likely a RISC as at the time they were all the rage).

NOTE: as a programmer I can use the 68K as a 32bits if I am willing to pay twice the cycles to perform the operations and twice the cycles to fetch data from mem .... so for speed it's best to stick to 16bits as long as possible.

• Like 1

Translated: https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://bbs.wenxuecity.com/game/35618.html&xid=17259,15700021,15700124,15700126,15700149,15700168,15700173,15700186,15700191,15700201&usg=ALkJrhjoonobxrmLZ6OH05t__6C-CVFL9w

It appears to be a forum post by one of the system's fans, who claims it lasted from 1995-1996. He mentions some sort of contest that he participated in, tho I can't tell if the contest was a promo event or one of the system's games. Lists specs for both the A'can & its expansion. He's not sure if the expansion was released or not. I'm betting it wasn't, but it would be realy cool if it was. :)

I remember "All Electronics" (discount electronics parts catalog) back in the early 2000's (I want to say 2000 or 2001) was actually selling the consoles and controllers separately as "parts" (meaning no retail box/packaging). They were all brand new never used. The consoles were only like $7.00 each and the controllers were (I want to say) $2.00 each. I actually bought five consoles and five controllers. I never heard of the console before and in 2010 I got rid of them as I never found any games for it. I held on to those things for about 10 years and now games are starting to surface. :roll:

BTW, don't go to All Electronics looking for them as they no longer have any for sale.

• Like 1

I suggest to people unaware of consoles like the Acan go to sites like Video Game Console Library and check out their master list or timeline of consoles. Ultimate Console database is a good one too. It will amaze you how many consoles actually existed, you think might know, but no not even close lol its insane.

• Like 1

The top 10 games for a system with 10 games total? :)

:)

Technically there were 11 that have changed hands over the past 10 years and one more (Rebel Star) that has supposedly been found, but never publicly documented. I can personally vouch for the 11 though as I have them all after a long time hunting them.

Spoiler alert: They all pretty much suck!

I remember "All Electronics" (discount electronics parts catalog) back in the early 2000's (I want to say 2000 or 2001) was actually selling the consoles and controllers separately as "parts" (meaning no retail box/packaging). They were all brand new never used. The consoles were only like $7.00 each and the controllers were (I want to say) $2.00 each. I actually bought five consoles and five controllers. I never heard of the console before and in 2010 I got rid of them as I never found any games for it. I held on to those things for about 10 years and now games are starting to surface. :roll:

BTW, don't go to All Electronics looking for them as they no longer have any for sale.

Yep, I bought several back when they had them. I am fairly sure the console itself was $4.99. it came with a warranty card and was in a plastic bag. They were mint/brand new condition. Someone bought all the controllers thinking they were snes compatible, from what I recall. I managed to get 1 or 2 though before that happened.

Inside the console itself, it's a tour de force of UMC parts. All the RAM chips, asics, RAMDAC (video), etc. were made by UMC. The cartridges have a lockout chip on that too which I haven't investigated a whole lot. It seems to use A0/D0 and 2 or 3 signals to the ASIC from what I recall. Without the chip, the system won't boot.

I dumped 9 or 10 of the carts and own a few. Fortunately they had standard 16 bit mask ROMs in them in DIP packages.

And before anyone asks, yes I would like to FPGAize it some day. lol.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...