IGNORED

Doodle Jump INTV

After a ton of problems, I have finally started work on a version of Doodle Jump for the Intellivision using INTY Basic. Right now it's just a square jumping up but I want to change it to a creature of some sort. I have one in mind. I also am going to add a 2-player version where the object is to make the other player go off the screen downwards. As well as sound and other stuff.

Let me know what you think or if you run into any bugs or something.

post-9475-0-06481000-1529851728.gif

dj1.rom

• Like 11

After a ton of problems, I have finally started work on a version of Doodle Jump for the Intellivision using INTY Basic. Right now it's just a square jumping up but I want to change it to a creature of some sort. I have one in mind. I also am going to add a 2-player version where the object is to make the other player go off the screen downwards. As well as sound and other stuff.

Let me know what you think or if you run into any bugs or something.

attachicon.gifdj1.gif

Wow! It looks really cool! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You may want to check your collision detection, for it seems that sometimes the Doodle-Block goes "through" the platforms when it bounces. Other than that, it looks very nice! :)

-dZ.

looks like one of the games which i can't play because of laughter.

cool, does it need to be a creature? i like the square.

what about a timer or counter for the platforms this would force you a little (while i'm shit already without such).

in general i like those small games for which you need fine motor skills.

it differs so much to "let play"

i wrote already that a small boy watched me playing flapee bird he was fascinated, i guess this will work the same.

This is an upmonster:

post-9475-0-87366900-1529867924.gif

So called because of his tendency of (and the fact that he likes) going upwards.

I fixed a few other things.
+ I discovered that the fact the guy doesn't land on the platform is because of my gravity code. So I had to take it out. The upmonster still jumps up and down, just not as fancy as before.

+ I discovered that sometimes a platform disappears. I think I fixed this as well.

Please tell me what you think of this latest version.

dj2.rom

• Like 2

This is an upmonster:

attachicon.gifupmonster.gif

So called because of his tendency of (and the fact that he likes) going upwards.

I fixed a few other things.

+ I discovered that the fact the guy doesn't land on the platform is because of my gravity code. So I had to take it out. The upmonster still jumps up and down, just not as fancy as before.

+ I discovered that sometimes a platform disappears. I think I fixed this as well.

Please tell me what you think of this latest version.

Would it be possible to have the fancy gravity physics and good landing? I'm sure we could help you achieve that. :)

-dZ.

Added back in the gravity. I thought of a way to do collision detection other than the COL0 and HIT_SPRITE1 way.

I tried playing it and it feels a little weird. Sometimes, when I bounce and move to the side, the jumper just goes waaaaaay up high and off the screen before coming back down. Perhaps you need to control better your gravity and jump acceleration.

-dZ.

I need help with platform placement. Sometimes it makes it up so high that the upmonster can't reach it. Other times, the platforms are so low, the platforms won't reset.

attachicon.gifshot0020.gif attachicon.gifshot0021.gif

Are you placing them randomly? How about designing levels, like Doodle Jump? You could just store their offsets in DATA arrays and read them during game-play.

-dZ.

I'd like random levels so it'd be a different game each time you play. I think I got it nailed though, with this code:

get_new_platform1: procedure
    platform1x=(RAND/2)+20
    wait
    platform1y=(rand/8)+16
    if platform1y>platform5y-20 then platform1y=platform1y-20
    return
    end

get_new_platform2: procedure
    platform2x=(RAND/2)+20
    wait    
    platform2y=(rand/8)+16
    if platform2y>platform1y-20 then platform2y=platform2y-20    
    return
    end    

get_new_platform3: procedure
    platform3x=(RAND/2)+20
    wait
    platform3y=(rand/8)+16
    if platform3y>platform2y-20 then platform3y=platform3y-20    
    return
    end

get_new_platform4: procedure
    platform4x=(RAND/2)+20
    wait
    platform4y=(rand/8)+16
    if platform4y>platform3y-20 then platform4y=platform4y-20    
    return
    end

get_new_platform5: procedure
    platform5x=(RAND/2)+20
    wait
    platform5y=(rand/8)+16
    if platform5y>platform4y-20 then platform5y=platform5y-20
    return
    end  

I was able to get over 10,000 points in this build.

post-9475-0-63972300-1529937238.gif

dj5.rom

Edited by atari2600land
  • Like 1

I was using the Nostalgia emulator version 5.0. It had a LOT of other dependent software that I had to install as well to make it run so I wasn't super keen on installing it. Let me know if there's a less cumbersome GUI based INTV emulator out there that you can suggest.

Yeah, I know about that problem. Thanks for letting me know, though.

PS. How are you playing this in emulation? The letters look all odd.