IGNORED

Had some fun playing StarWars Arcade with LeStick on a flight yoke

ave1

but there's something about having two hands on the yoke which just makes it feel more like Star Wars...

You aren't wrong and I would kill to own a proper original Star Wars Arcade sit down cabinet but I don't see that ever happening so I will take my flight stick and enjoy much more than a digital controller ever could with the Mame version.

It takes some fiddling with settings to get it good because out of the box Mames settings suck. I messed around with it earlier today and posted a short guide and my settings over on the Launchbox forums.

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/45762-star-wars-mame-flight-stick-guide-settings/

I really dislike the autocenter feature of MAME with the analog games. I much prefer using the analog PC yoke like the G-Force on the 5200 like used in the video. Unless there is an off switch for it, it seems like you still have to fight the autocenter even at the lowest setting.

The Parker Bros. 2600 Star Wars the Arcade Game part is shown in the first few minutes of the presentation. Enjoy!

It would be interesting to see if you could use the G-Force yoke on the gamecube with a 15pin game port to usb adapter.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see if you could use the G-Force yoke on the gamecube with a 15pin game port to usb adapter.

I have tried it and it works, but the spring tension is a bit high and the amount of movement required to get out to the corners is a bit much. I own a different PC flight yoke called the Marvel Yoke which has 50 percent less spring tension, and the game works better with it.

I'll definitely be discussing and showing that in my next video.

if you set the AutoCenter settings to 0 it turns it off.

Of course a real analog yoke controller would be better but a flight stick with good settings is a very good and fun to play with solution.

You are right. It's just all my analog sticks are self-centering and I'm used to using digital self-centering sticks, so I inadvertently let it center out of habit. I'll need to get used to this or get a non-centering usb stick.

I have tried it and it works, but the spring tension is a bit high and the amount of movement required to get out to the corners is a bit much. I own a different PC flight yoke called the Marvel Yoke which has 50 percent less spring tension, and the game works better with it.

I'll definitely be discussing and showing that in my next video.

Do you have the Quickshot/Bondwell aviator or CH Virtual pilot flight yokes? The marvel yoke is, apparently, very hard to find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QUICKSHOT-QS-151-Aviator-1-PC-FLIGHT-SIMULATOR-JOYSTICK-YOKE-CONTROLLER-STICK/183254106762?hash=item2aaacbc28a:g:19UAAOSwsLBbEf4W

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-CH-Products-Virtual-Pilot-Flight-Yoke-Simulator/152959290402?hash=item239d158c22:g:zaIAAOSwAQBauDqk

I have bad news about the push-in/pull-out flight yokes: I have a Quickshot Aviator for the Sega Genesis (which I showed in my video above) as well as a Saitek PC USB flight yoke. I really didn't enjoy the Star Wars Arcade gameplay experience with either of them. Vertical placement of the cursor just isn't very accurate with the push-in/pull-out action of these controllers. Maybe it's possible to adapt, but I just don't want to.

Keep your eye out for that Marvel Yoke.

I have bad news about the push-in/pull-out flight yokes: I have a Quickshot Aviator for the Sega Genesis (which I showed in my video above) as well as a Saitek PC USB flight yoke. I really didn't enjoy the Star Wars Arcade gameplay experience with either of them. Vertical placement of the cursor just isn't very accurate with the push-in/pull-out action of these controllers. Maybe it's possible to adapt, but I just don't want to.

Keep your eye out for that Marvel Yoke.

If the Aviator is for the Genesis, I would imagine it is digital. They make one for the old PC as well, but I guess no way to tell how well it works,, but it is probably has the push/pull as well..

Yes the Genesis one is definitely digital. The PC one would be analog, but I've tried the Saitek yoke which is analog and that pulling out of the yoke to position the cursor upwards in an accurate manner is just not to my liking. Somebody may not mind it and easily adapt, but I would caution against spending the money to try it out.

Swami, I came upon a different model flight yoke in a box in my basement this evening that I had forgotten I had. This one seems to not have much spring tension and that'll make it a nice one to use.

Edited by ave1

• 2 weeks later...

Swami, I came upon a different model flight yoke in a box in my basement this evening that I had forgotten I had. This one seems to not have much spring tension and that'll make it a nice one to use.

Apparently, you can sometimes fix the range issue with a parallel resistor or capacitor between the controller and console, according to bohoki. This sounds like a good project to add to my time-to-burn list.