IGNORED

RealSports Curling Release Thread

Ryan Witmer

Just built a RealSports Curling cart. The plan is to release the game at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo next month, assuming I can get the boxes, manuals and labels printed in time. Will hit the store in mid-November. :)

5200_RealSportsCurling_Cart.jpg

..Al

Very nice result. I know there was some anticipation in seeing what the label/box art would be. Very pleased with the results.

• Like 1

Any chance of adapting this to the 2600?

Certainly not by me, but other people are welcome to try. The source code is available, but from my understanding of the 2600 hardware I doubt it would even be all that useful (a 7800 version might actually be able to reuse large chunks of the code).

Any conversion would need to be seriously scaled back, I would think. It took quite a lot of effort to get 16 rocks, the rings, and all the different lines on the screen and I can't even imagine how you would do that on a 2600. Then again, there's some pretty amazing 2600 wizardry going on these days so maybe it could be done in some form.

What I would really like to see is an Atari 8-bit computer conversion. This would be an ideal game for the paddle controllers.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Certainly not by me, but other people are welcome to try. The source code is available, but from my understanding of the 2600 hardware I doubt it would even be all that useful (a 7800 version might actually be able to reuse large chunks of the code).

Any conversion would need to be seriously scaled back, I would think. It took quite a lot of effort to get 16 rocks, the rings, and all the different lines on the screen and I can't even imagine how you would do that on a 2600. Then again, there's some pretty amazing 2600 wizardry going on these days so maybe it could be done in some form.

What I would really like to see is an Atari 8-bit computer conversion. This would be an ideal game for the paddle controllers.

There are 5200 owners with *paddle* controllers. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Just stopping by this thread to say THANK YOU!!! I just received my cart from the store and it's AMAZING. I love curling and the 5200 both and am so happy to have this game. How about some Atari 5200 Pond Hockey next--I'm half-Canadian so this one is really getting me going! Thank you AverageSoftware (love the name) and Al!

• Like 4

Just stopping by this thread to say THANK YOU!!! I just received my cart from the store and it's AMAZING. I love curling and the 5200 both and am so happy to have this game. How about some Atari 5200 Pond Hockey next--I'm half-Canadian so this one is really getting me going! Thank you AverageSoftware (love the name) and Al!

Awesome, glad to hear it arrived safely and that you're having fun with it! :)

..Al

Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoy the game!

Be sure to try the 8 player mode if you have a 4-port 5200 and lots of like-minded friends!

• 3 years later...
On 12/14/2018 at 11:12 AM, phaxda said:

RealSports Hockey should definitely be developed, that's the last sport the Atari systems (especially the 5200) don't (yet) have a port of. As a Kings fan (47 years going, since 1975 when I was 9 years old) and hearing of and about Atari Canada in the 80s I was hoping that maybe THEY would've developed such a cart, but not to be.

Edited by BIGHMW

13 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

The Video Game Critic reviewed RealSports Curling. https://videogamecritic.com/5200rr.htm?e=23179#rev5611

Cafeman gave me a heads-up on this a little while ago.  Glad to see he enjoyed the game.  Calling the manual "eight pages of excitement" is probably my favorite part.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, yodan said:

@Ryan Witmer thanks for this. Just trying it for the first time. The anthem at the beginning took me by surprise! It also took me back to Summer Games anthems. Is there a digital manual?

You're welcome, hope you have fun with it.  That anthem is the only piece of music I've ever done on the 5200 and I just did it by transcribing some sheet music I found.

There is no digital manual, but here is the text file that was used for the printed manual.  It should be the same aside from whatever minor editorial changes Albert made.

manual.txt

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I realize that I'm coming to this thread REAL late, but I've got to say THANK YOU so much for developing this game! I'm one of those crazy people who really enjoy watching Curling every four years in the Winter Olympics. So to be able to play a version of it on a home console is spectacular. I'm playing it in an emulator for the Mac, OpenEMU to be exact. After downloading it, and the rules, I decided to select game 9 and watch the cpu play against itself. It was really close to watching a game duting the Olympics! Thank you again for this and I'm sure I'll have lots of fun with it.

magnus