IGNORED

Retron77 Compatibility List

godslabrat

Just now, Thomas Jentzsch said:

It is a standard 4K cart, so there is a good chance that it will work using the dumper.

Excuse me for my ignorance, I just ordered a Retron77 but I have not had the time to play around with it yet. What is the dumper?

Edited by III

39 minutes ago, III said:

Excuse me for my ignorance, I just ordered a Retron77 but I have not had the time to play around with it yet. What is the dumper?

The cartridge slot.  As opposed to a rom file stored on the sd card. 

The hardware that manages carts has less compatibility than if you use a rom file directly, in which case the only limit on compatibility is Stella itself.

Edited by fluxit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Just got my new Retron 77...I updated with the latest Stella release (6.4.0).  Sadly, my 2 favorite games (Montezuma's Revenge & Tutankham) do NOT play.  Paddles are jittery with Astroblast and Circus Atari.  Guess there is no use even buying homebrew games like Spacerocks, Scramble, and Galaga.

sucks

What do you mean with "do not play"? Both carts use Parker's own E0 bankswitching, which is not supported by the very limited cart port dumper (same for the homebrews you mentioned). But all they should work as ROM file. 

Using paddles via the ports of the R77 is a know problem. The signals are very bad. Stella has a built-in dejitter which can be accessed with advanced settings. Maybe that helps. If you attach controllers via USB, paddles work much better.

The bytes read from the hotspots (and cartridge ram, altought in this case there's none) might differ depending on the specific dumper used, so I guess the rom doesn't match the one in the internal database, and Stella reverts to default settings.

Unfortunately, in that case Stella autodetects the game as using a genesis pad in left port, while it actually uses an (optional) booster grip, and because of the inverted logic between the two controllers, the game "seees" the booster grip button for thrust as always pressed.

Edited by alex_79

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/25/2019 at 7:54 AM, dualcam said:

You need to hold a particular button on the controller for the Auto Sense to work.  For 2600 paddles, it is paddle #1 button.  There is info on this on the web page and an Auto Sense quick reference label on the back of the D9.

Tom

http://2600-daptor.com/

Question: by using the 2600-daptor II or D9, can I use 8BitDo’s M30 2.4G wireless Sega Genesis controllers that I currently use with my Mega Sg? Or would I need to get the USB dongles for the controllers (I think it’s the same 2.4G controller unit for both the USB compatible and Genesis compatible 8BitDo controller sets, isn’t it?)? Or perhaps a better question would be, what is the best 2.4G wireless controller solution for the Retron 77?

2 hours ago, dualcam said:

I don't have one of those to test it with, so I can't give you a direct answer.  The II does not support Sega Genesis.  I recall someone having trouble trying to use a wireless controller with the D9.  The wireless required more power than the D9 could supply.

Tom

What would be the best 2.4g wireless controller to use with the II in your opinion? I just gotta find a good wireless controller solution for the Retron 77. There’s gotta be a way.

On 3/13/2021 at 9:24 AM, WaverBoy said:

Question: by using the 2600-daptor II or D9, can I use 8BitDo’s M30 2.4G wireless Sega Genesis controllers that I currently use with my Mega Sg? Or would I need to get the USB dongles for the controllers (I think it’s the same 2.4G controller unit for both the USB compatible and Genesis compatible 8BitDo controller sets, isn’t it?)? Or perhaps a better question would be, what is the best 2.4G wireless controller solution for the Retron 77?

I found a prior discussion thread with someone who was able to successfully get the D9 and 8bitdo M30 working.  There was initially a power problem which I made a firmware update to help, but ultimately the problem was a MiSTer and USB Y-cable setup which they were able to fix.

You might need use a wired controller to initially get the D9 set for Sega Genesis.  After that the D9 remembers the last controller, so you can then switch to the wireless without having to use the wired again.

Tom

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know if the NTSC copies of Zaxxon and Solar Fox will work? I've seen the PAL versions talks about on here as working but I didn't think that would be possible as they are games over the 4K lines. I also have the 3.9.3 build if that helps and yes I tried the recent community build but I've had way too many problems running it.

• 6 months later...

I bought a Retron 77 recently. All but 2 of my (PAL) cartridges have worked. The "fails":

Activision-  Titlematch Pro Wrestling-

No connection at all. I notice that this games has an extra chip attached to its motherboard. Hardware issue?

Tigervision- Polaris-

This game connects, displaying the game's "startup" screen (including sonar "ping" sounds), game selection works, but pressing reset will not start the game.

Both games' contacts were thoroughly cleaned, and both work on my "Vader".

The other games that all worked (all PAL):

River Raid

Battlezone

Commando

Pete Rose Baseball

Moon Patrol

Centipede

Double Dragon

Pole Patrol

Pitfall!

Laser Blast

Super Action Pak (Activision x4- Pitfall!, Grand Prix, Laser Blast, Barnstorming)

Air-Sea Battle

Planet Patrol

Freeway

• 5 months later...
On 8/23/2019 at 1:01 AM, LandonMiller said:

Does anyone know if Solaris and Secret Quest work on the Retron 77? 

I have both Solaris and Secret Quest on cartridge. Secret Quest isn't easy to find but I stumbled across a complete one of it earlier this year at a convention. It works great on the Retron 77.  Solaris works quite well too. I bought my Retron 77 in January and installed what was then the newest version of Stella on it so that may help too.  

• 7 months later...
On 12/11/2020 at 2:37 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

What do you mean with "do not play"? Both carts use Parker's own E0 bankswitching, which is not supported by the very limited cart port dumper (same for the homebrews you mentioned). But all they should work as ROM file. 

Using paddles via the ports of the R77 is a know problem. The signals are very bad. Stella has a built-in dejitter which can be accessed with advanced settings. Maybe that helps. If you attach controllers via USB, paddles work much better.

Little tidbit. Parker did not make the actual game carts, The games arrived at the factory premade by who ever the dev used to make the carts. Parker made the boxes, labels and instructions and had their name on everything as the distributer ... that's why Parker boxes look like board game boxes, its the only type of box the factory had machines capable of making.  ( Source: My dad made every Parker Atari board / video game box in the Salem MA. factory from 75 till 93 ) 

• Like 1