Jump to content
godslabrat

Retron77 Compatibility List

Recommended Posts

Just now, Thomas Jentzsch said:

It is a standard 4K cart, so there is a good chance that it will work using the dumper.

Excuse me for my ignorance, I just ordered a Retron77 but I have not had the time to play around with it yet. What is the dumper?

Edited by III

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, III said:

Excuse me for my ignorance, I just ordered a Retron77 but I have not had the time to play around with it yet. What is the dumper?

The cartridge slot.  As opposed to a rom file stored on the sd card. 

 

The hardware that manages carts has less compatibility than if you use a rom file directly, in which case the only limit on compatibility is Stella itself.

Edited by fluxit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got my new Retron 77...I updated with the latest Stella release (6.4.0).  Sadly, my 2 favorite games (Montezuma's Revenge & Tutankham) do NOT play.  Paddles are jittery with Astroblast and Circus Atari.  Guess there is no use even buying homebrew games like Spacerocks, Scramble, and Galaga.

 

sucks

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you mean with "do not play"? Both carts use Parker's own E0 bankswitching, which is not supported by the very limited cart port dumper (same for the homebrews you mentioned). But all they should work as ROM file. 

 

Using paddles via the ports of the R77 is a know problem. The signals are very bad. Stella has a built-in dejitter which can be accessed with advanced settings. Maybe that helps. If you attach controllers via USB, paddles work much better.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When playing Thrust on cart on R77 the ship constantly thrusting(like I pressing the joystick up). When using Thrust rom file everything work as expected.

Is it a setting I need to change?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bytes read from the hotspots (and cartridge ram, altought in this case there's none) might differ depending on the specific dumper used, so I guess the rom doesn't match the one in the internal database, and Stella reverts to default settings.

 

Unfortunately, in that case Stella autodetects the game as using a genesis pad in left port, while it actually uses an (optional) booster grip, and because of the inverted logic between the two controllers, the game "seees" the booster grip button for thrust as always pressed.

 

Edited by alex_79

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Are you using a special controller?

I’m using the standard Trooper controller that comes with r77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2020 at 9:34 PM, xkenx said:

I’m using the standard Trooper controller that comes with r77

I suppose the BoosterGrip controller is set for you, try changing the controller in the settings into Joystick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to make a report

 

Beamrider - Activision - NTSC - cartridge does not work on the default firmware. I did not try to load the game from a ROM off the SD card.

 

I loaded up the latest stable Stella firmware and it worked from the cartridge slot right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 7:54 AM, dualcam said:

You need to hold a particular button on the controller for the Auto Sense to work.  For 2600 paddles, it is paddle #1 button.  There is info on this on the web page and an Auto Sense quick reference label on the back of the D9.

 

Tom

http://2600-daptor.com/

Question: by using the 2600-daptor II or D9, can I use 8BitDo’s M30 2.4G wireless Sega Genesis controllers that I currently use with my Mega Sg? Or would I need to get the USB dongles for the controllers (I think it’s the same 2.4G controller unit for both the USB compatible and Genesis compatible 8BitDo controller sets, isn’t it?)? Or perhaps a better question would be, what is the best 2.4G wireless controller solution for the Retron 77?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have one of those to test it with, so I can't give you a direct answer.  The II does not support Sega Genesis.  I recall someone having trouble trying to use a wireless controller with the D9.  The wireless required more power than the D9 could supply.

 

Tom

http://2600-daptor.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dualcam said:

I don't have one of those to test it with, so I can't give you a direct answer.  The II does not support Sega Genesis.  I recall someone having trouble trying to use a wireless controller with the D9.  The wireless required more power than the D9 could supply.

 

Tom

http://2600-daptor.com/

 

What would be the best 2.4g wireless controller to use with the II in your opinion? I just gotta find a good wireless controller solution for the Retron 77. There’s gotta be a way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my wireless controller setup on my Atari 7800. I have to imagine it should work with the RetroN 77's DB9 joystick ports without going down the USB OTG controller route?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2021 at 10:48 AM, WaverBoy said:

What would be the best 2.4g wireless controller to use with the II in your opinion? I just gotta find a good wireless controller solution for the Retron 77. There’s gotta be a way.

I don't have any wireless controllers, so sorry I can't help.

 

Tom

http://2600-daptor.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2021 at 9:24 AM, WaverBoy said:

Question: by using the 2600-daptor II or D9, can I use 8BitDo’s M30 2.4G wireless Sega Genesis controllers that I currently use with my Mega Sg? Or would I need to get the USB dongles for the controllers (I think it’s the same 2.4G controller unit for both the USB compatible and Genesis compatible 8BitDo controller sets, isn’t it?)? Or perhaps a better question would be, what is the best 2.4G wireless controller solution for the Retron 77?

I found a prior discussion thread with someone who was able to successfully get the D9 and 8bitdo M30 working.  There was initially a power problem which I made a firmware update to help, but ultimately the problem was a MiSTer and USB Y-cable setup which they were able to fix.

 

You might need use a wired controller to initially get the D9 set for Sega Genesis.  After that the D9 remembers the last controller, so you can then switch to the wireless without having to use the wired again.

 

Tom

http://2600-daptor.com/

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...