IGNORED

F18A MK2

matthew180

44 minutes ago, matthew180 said:

Update for the reset of 2020:

Sorry to say it is still more of the same.  I was put on furlough in April due to the pandemic, and in October I was laid off.  I had to move my family across the country, and now we are trying to buy a house, get new jobs, and some of my extended family are in the hospital in critical condition fighting COVID.  Needless to say, my time for the MK2 has been almost non-existent, save for me thinking about it a lot.  Hopefully the new year will bring new stability and some much needed spare time to get the MK2 out the door.

I know it has been a long time, and patience runs thin.  But I am committed and I will see this through.

I'm sorry the news could not be better, but we are still in 2020 after all.

Matthew

Family first!  Hang in there, prayers have been sent your way!

Beery

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

This is Rev-L, sent to OSHPark last week.  I hope this will be the last revision.  Once the boards come in I will build and test.  The TMDS header is shown with a bracket that can be mounted above or below the board.  This is untested in reality (waiting on parts and boards), but seems to work in the virtual world.

The audio jack was removed from the headers for two primary reasons:

1. It allows the boards to be smaller, and smaller is better when trying to mod a retro computer case.

2. You will get to decide what kind of audio jack you want on your system (3.5mm, RCA, or whatever).

It does mean you will need to provide you own audio jack and cable that adapts to a standard 0.1" header pin, which should not be a big problem.

f18a_mk2_L_iso2.thumb.png.050d066b6111ce126a8eaa7c2c3f4e94.pngf18a_mk2_L_top.thumb.png.772300a9306f72b5180c4895ceea07b0.pngf18a_mk2_L_bot.thumb.png.2bb5d75d656f38346dc4c59ff2bfee40.pngkicad_mk2_hdr_tmds.thumb.png.bfec9226b5621897d68ddec7346093ca.pngkicad_mk2_hdr_vga.thumb.png.1c1c1c6db1ab8cd19b5dc94b4e809320.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, matthew180 said:

This is Rev-L, sent to OSHPark last week.  I hope this will be the last revision.  Once the boards come in I will build and test.  The TMDS header is shown with a bracket that can be mounted above or below the board.  This is untested in reality (waiting on parts and boards), but seems to work in the virtual world.

The audio jack was removed from the headers for two primary reasons:

1. It allows the boards to be smaller, and smaller is better when trying to mod a retro computer case.

2. You will get to decide what kind of audio jack you want on your system (3.5mm, RCA, or whatever).

It does mean you will need to provide you own audio jack and cable that adapts to a standard 0.1" header pin, which should not be a big problem.

f18a_mk2_L_iso2.thumb.png.050d066b6111ce126a8eaa7c2c3f4e94.pngf18a_mk2_L_top.thumb.png.772300a9306f72b5180c4895ceea07b0.pngf18a_mk2_L_bot.thumb.png.2bb5d75d656f38346dc4c59ff2bfee40.pngkicad_mk2_hdr_tmds.thumb.png.bfec9226b5621897d68ddec7346093ca.pngkicad_mk2_hdr_vga.thumb.png.1c1c1c6db1ab8cd19b5dc94b4e809320.png

Absolutely a winner! I can't wait to get some. Ty

• 3 weeks later...

Tested System Compatibility

The F18A has been installed in the following systems:

• TI-99/4A Home Computer
  • ColecoVison Game Console (1)
  • ColecoVision ADAM Computer (1)
  • Toshiba HX-10 MSX1 Computer
  • Toshiba Pasopia-IQ MSX1 Computer
  • JVC Victor HC-7 MSX1 Computer
  • Yamaha CX5M MSX1 Computer
  • SpectraVideo 328 Computer (1)
  • Tomy Tutor (1)
  • SEGA SG-1000 (2)
  • SEGA SC-1000II (replaced a TMS9118 VDP)
  • Telegames Personal Arcade
  • Powertran Cortex
  • Memotech 500 and 512 (2)

Note 1: These systems are known to have the original VDP soldered directly to the system circuit board, and will require desoldering the original VDP and a socket installed.

Note 2: The placement and orientation of the original VDP in these systems prevents the system case from being closed when the F18A is installed.

• Like 5

Correct, that is one of the primary goals of the MK2!  The board outline is no bigger than a 40-pin DIP socket, so physical constraint problems should be removed.  No more tall-pins vs short-pins or bending over near-by parts, etc.! :)  I wanted to achieve this with the original F18A, but the PCB technology available to hobbyist-level projects back in 2011/2012 did not allow for it.

That said, there is still the 22-pin FPC header that will have the ribbon cable connected to one end.  That is inevitable, and no matter which end I put the connector on, I'm sure it might cause a problem in some system.  Hopefully the ribbon cable will prove to be small and flexible enough to overcome any such physical problems.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...