On 5/17/2021 at 6:11 PM, Chris-Mouse said:

So am I. I have a couple of homebrew computer projects that are in need of a video interface...

Same here. Can't wait to get the new Mk2

But Matthew, you and your family are worth most, never forget that

Franc

• Like 1

Have you decided what "exactly" the daughter board options will be?  I see (in the images post, previous page,) a VGA daughter board & a TMDS daughter board.  I have to admit, that I've never heard of TMDS until now.  The research (Google search,) I've been doing seems to indicate it's an intermediary for HDMI and DVI.  The image looks like a HDMI port.  Were you able to work that out?  Or will you be shipping it without the port and letting the end user worry about that?  It doesn't look like there's enough room to put a DVI port on it, but if so, will it be DVI-D and include the audio signal?  I'm assuming HDMI will include the audio.

I'm sorry if I missed previous answers to these questions.  I don't remember reading anything about them, but I might have missed some posts, and I might just not be remembering.

I am allergic to certain 4-letter acronyms, so I choose to stick with the technical terms.  TMDS (transition minimized differential signaling) is similar to LVDS (low-voltage differential signaling) and is the physical layer used to transmit high-speed data in some video systems like DVI.

Since I have moved to having a header board for the MK2, I have designed it in such a way that it will support a VGA header and a DVI-compatable (TMDS) header.  This part is working and I have tested both headers, but I still have one revision to build and test.

I have also firmed up the TMDS core, so the last bit is reworking some of the older bits of HDL to decouple the video clock from various internals.  I have to do this because the digital video timing is different than VGA, and my original HDL was always evolving in quality as I learned more and got better working the HDL and FPGAs.  This is really the main piece holding up the works, but I'm finally getting some time to put some serious effort back into it.

Fingers crossed I can get it done soon.  Believe me when I say I want this done as badly as everyone else, and I feel really bad about how long it has taken.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

"Fingers crossed I can get it done soon.  Believe me when I say I want this done as badly as everyone else, and I feel really bad about how long it has taken."

No problem, I'm still looking forward to the MkII.

I'm curious, when Gary Bowser made the TIM (TI Image Maker) he also made the AIM (Adam Image Maker) - in the advertisement for AIM, it was mentioned CPM for the ADAM had been extended to 80-Columns. Any TIer familiar with the Adam, know if there is a bunch of 80-column software already done for the AIM - that would run on the MKII?

This thread is so long, your question is probably not getting the attention it needs.  You should make a new thread for the question, and maybe ask in the CV subforum where there are more ADAM users.  The F18A is "T80 ready" out of the box, so if there is software for the ADAM that used the 9938/58 settings for T80, it will mostly "just work" unless the software relies on the VRAM over 16K that typically came along with the 9938/58.  The MK2 should resolve the VRAM issue.

• Like 3

Been reading it all... A good "Thriller" and I will also say... "Take your time, better to do it right! And take care of the most important stuff first!"

The TI deserves a very good MK2! So take your time and keep doing what you have been doing, slow but properly!

Even if I had finished by this time last year, due to the chip shortage I cannot get a large majority of the parts, especially the FPGA, used on the MK2 right now.  So I could not get them made for the last 8 months even if I was done. :(

Hopefully me finishing the MK2 will coincide with parts being available.

• Like 6