IGNORED

Cart label Style, 1984 or Standard Color type?

pboland

Cart label Styles, 1984 or Standard Color?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. I'm going to be making more reproduction labels and I want to know if you guys think I should just stick with the 1984 Style labels that I did for my first set or remake the standard labels (but in all color) as well?

• Stay with the 1984 style version. It looks a lot better than the originals
    • I'm a completest and think you should make both (and add the black and white versions while you're at it).

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

For those that don't know, back in May 2017 I offered new reproductions 7800 cart labels in the 1984 style format. See INTEREST CHECK: New Reproduction 7800 Sliver Labels…

example pic:

post-9874-0-50875800-1530102479.jpg

Well, I'm now in the process of adding more 7800 labels to my catalog and I'm wanting to know if you guys think I should stick with the '84 style only or if I should redo the originals but in color as well? Let me know what you guys think.

• Like 3

Glad to hear you're adding more labels! Personally, I much prefer the 1984 style; it's an attractive design that helps to set the 7800 games apart from the later 2600 games, and because it's not attempting to replicate the originals, nobody can misrepresent them as the originals. It also gives people an incentive to upgrade even if their original labels aren't in terrible shape, because they look so much better.

• Like 1

I would like to see more ‘84 style labels. I bought your first set, but unfortunately I haven’t found the time or best method to remove the old labels to redo a set with the ‘84 style. Granted your first release covers most of the titles that I would like to replace. I guess I would like to see what titles you plan on doing before I would commit to the next run. But I will say this, your product is top notch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought your first set, but unfortunately I haven’t found the time or best method to remove the old labels to redo a set with the ‘84 style.

I've worked out a process for cleaning and relabeling Atari cartridges that you might find helpful. I decided to split it into its own thread; see here.

• Like 3

Here are the titles I think are going to be next on the docket:

- Alien Brigade

- Ace of Aces

- Basketbrawl

- Choplifter

- Commando

- Crack'ed

- Crossbow

- Dark Chambers

- Desert Falcon

- Fatal Run

- Fight Night

- Hat Trick

- Impossible Mission

- Karateka

- Mario Bros.

I'm looking forward to a few more responses to this poll as well. :)

• Like 3

Please be sure to vote in the poll because it will determine if I make the original style or not. The '84 style will be made no matter what (just incase that wasn't clear), but I'm using this poll to determine if I should spend time/energy making the original style labels as well.

Are these still with no white color? If so, I wouldn't be interested in either style. But, if they have white, I think the original 7800 style with color for the black & white releases would be worthwhile as well as the '84 style. :-)

Are these still with no white color? If so, I wouldn't be interested in either style. But, if they have white, I think the original 7800 style with color for the black & white releases would be worthwhile as well as the '84 style. :-)

I really wish I could print the color white, but I can't at this time. That's very difficult to do without commercial off-set printing equipment. Even without the white color these labels still look quite good IMO:

post-9874-0-31737300-1531238013_thumb.jpg

I have been able to play around with contrast and shading to better approximate the look of white being in label even though it isn't there.

There's always the possibility I could print these on standard white label stock (then you would have the white color and they would be cheaper to produce), but then you would loose that metallic look. The labels would just be grey in color. I really think the metallic label looks a lot better then trying to imitate the foil with just grey ink. That's my two cents.

• Like 2

I really wish I could print the color white, but I can't at this time. That's very difficult to do without commercial off-set printing equipment. Even without the white color these labels still look quite good IMO:

Yes, they do. :-)

There's always the possibility I could print these on standard white label stock (then you would have the white color and they would be cheaper to produce), but then you would loose that metallic look. The labels would just be grey in color. I really think the metallic label looks a lot better then trying to imitate the foil with just grey ink. That's my two cents.

I totally agree that the metallic look beats plain gray any day.

For me, it's just a matter of: if I'm going to peel off my original labels to replace them with these, I'd want them to be totally legit looking (with white as well as metallic). If I had duplicates with crummy labels, then I probably wouldn't hesitate to replace them with these. :-)

Maybe that's what I need to do... collect a second set of all the carts you make replacement labels for. :lol:

Yes, they do. :-)

I totally agree that the metallic look beats plain gray any day.

For me, it's just a matter of: if I'm going to peel off my original labels to replace them with these, I'd want them to be totally legit looking (with white as well as metallic). If I had duplicates with crummy labels, then I probably wouldn't hesitate to replace them with these. :-)

Maybe that's what I need to do... collect a second set of all the carts you make replacement labels for. :lol:

Plus do you really want to spend double or triple what the cart is worth sticking a repro label on it? Most people don't. $6 labels on $2 carts is something only the very few would do for very obvious reasons.

They look awesome, and I really love mine! I just got an order in last night and had to show off DK and Frogger. Parker Bros pcbs don't fit squat, but thanks to some LEGOs, epoxy and patience I now have a glow in the dark picture label Frogger! Not bad for a nekkid pcb I found at a yard sale. DK has been homeless since I put together my Double Dragon/Rampage multicart years ago and thought he would look very snazzy in pink with the 80's label art.

post-30305-0-03338100-1531399092_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

They look awesome, and I really love mine! I just got an order in last night and had to show off DK and Frogger. Parker Bros pcbs don't fit squat, but thanks to some LEGOs, epoxy and patience I now have a glow in the dark picture label Frogger! Not bad for a nekkid pcb I found at a yard sale. DK has been homeless since I put together my Double Dragon/Rampage multicart years ago and thought he would look very snazzy in pink with the 80's label art.

attachicon.gifIMG_1664.jpg

Those look really cool! Thanks for sharing.

I want to thank everyone who participated in the poll, as I use these polls to help decide the direction I take next on my different label/overlay projects. Based the poll results and the comments made in this topic, I will only be pursuing the next set of 84' style 7800 cart labels.The standard 7800 labels will be put on the back burner for now.

I will update this topic as to my progress on the new 84' style labels as time goes on. Once ready to go, I will let you guys know. Here's a sample of some I have done so far:

post-9874-0-24129300-1531744766.jpg

• Like 2