IGNORED

moving my Atari

I going to be giving noticing tomorrow on my dump of an apartment finally, I would have sooner but was dealing with a cancer scare since last fall. It when back and forth a couple times, but as it stands no cancer but need to be checked again in 6 months.

So one of the first things I need to pack up in my Atari computer stuff so I can take it's desk down for a place to stack boxes.

I really don't like packing it up for a couple months or so, it could be packed up until September, so I want to do it right to avoid damage.

Beside head rest cardboard (not original, file-folders cut to size) in the drives (1050) is there anything I should be think of? I have original boxes for my 1050s, 850 and 800xl, but my not the 800, 1010, carts, and joysticks etc..

So just looking for suggestions so I still have working hardware when it's set up again a few months from now...

Last move it when with the movers, and made it, although they broke a ceramic Christmas tree my late mother made. When I posted online about it they threatened to sue me for slander..

Well I'll be hiring different movers this time of course, my heft and haul days are long over. but it'll be a shorter drive, so I do plan on making a few runs alone.

Wrap unprotected stuff first in plastic bags, then blankets or something. can't afford breaking or cracking any cases for this old stuff. Even the stuff in original boxes actually should get same treatment. The less scuffs, tears, wear the better. Plus styrofoam in the boxes doesn't protect too much from dropping /jarring harshly on it's own...

Just imagine it being dropped or at the bottom of a heavy pile - can your packing job protect it?

Edited by Nezgar

Wrap unprotected stuff first in plastic bags, then blankets or something. can't afford breaking or cracking any cases for this old stuff. Even the stuff in original boxes actually should get same treatment. The less scuffs, tears, wear the better. Plus styrofoam in the boxes doesn't protect too much from dropping /jarring harshly on it's own...

Just imagine it being dropped or at the bottom of a heavy pile - can your packing job protect it?

What I did last time for the non original box stuff in put hard 1/4" think plastic shelves on the side on the box to protect from crushing. Still have them and plan on doing that again. These things are so hard I've had trouble cutting them with a jigsaw.

• Like 1

Not sure what was the last time you moved, but if you do not do the following by yourself, you are literally throwing a dice and just hoping for the best:

- buy bubble wraps. A lot. Then some more.

- take your time in carefully wrapping each piece (several times over), and securing it with tape (so it can;t slide out once the outermost layer is lifted/moved/transported). At least week prior to moving. If you rush a particular item, it will show during unpacking (done that myself)

- most sensitive items get an additional layering in clothes/blankets

- Last layer is big hard suitcase (triple protection)

- have a separate area in apartment where all this stuff is nicely prepared so that you and you alone will be hauling them to your car (not moving truck!)

This shouldn't really need reminding, but if the shit brings enjoyment to your life, it should be treated accordingly...

Not sure what was the last time you moved, but if you do not do the following by yourself, you are literally throwing a dice and just hoping for the best:

- buy bubble wraps. A lot. Then some more.

- take your time in carefully wrapping each piece (several times over), and securing it with tape (so it can;t slide out once the outermost layer is lifted/moved/transported). At least week prior to moving. If you rush a particular item, it will show during unpacking (done that myself)

- most sensitive items get an additional layering in clothes/blankets

- Last layer is big hard suitcase (triple protection)

- have a separate area in apartment where all this stuff is nicely prepared so that you and you alone will be hauling them to your car (not moving truck!)

This shouldn't really need reminding, but if the shit brings enjoyment to your life, it should be treated accordingly...

Last move was just over a year ago.

I didn't use extra bubble wrap, instead I use blankets, towels, and my late mother's faux fur coat. The original boxed stuff was all inside bigger boxes for more protect and to hide what I had in them. Did won't some twit seeing them and grabbing them,

The least fun thing to move was my TRS-80 model 4.. I love it, but the Atari stuff is so much easier to handle. Going to look are and see if I got some silica gel packs to put in with the 1050's...

My 2600 has been packed for a few months now from when I originally planned to move but aborted because of my health scare.. Wish I'd left my clone sega pad out to play with all this time..

Don't ever pack the power supplies in with the computers. They can dislodge and become a battering ram to the case & keyboard.

This.

I mean, it can be done but it requires a lot careful packing. If you do it, I suggest multiple layers of THICK bubblewrap around each PSU, even more thick layers of bubblewrap around each other piece of hardware, and then set them all in a box well-stuffed with both equipment and bubblewrap to make sure nothing can possibly shift in shipping. Unfortunately, this all requires a lot of bubblewrap and a lot of trouble. Far easier to just try to move as much vintage stuff yourself without help, preferably arranged carefully and gently in your own car back seat or trunk.

So how critical is putting a cardboard head protector in a 1050?

I just tried using the ones I made for the last move over a year ago, one drive took it, by the other has too strong a eject spring and the light cardboard is just bending.

I really do plan on transports all my computer stuff myself. So it will get proper handling.

the cardboard is multifold protection..... it protects the head and the pressure pad as they pinch the cardboard... that in turn dampens the head sliding full rail and breaking off the track zero sensor interrupt tab.... the cardboard also keep things from bouncing under spring loaded pressure as the door is closed and the eject mech is moved to the end this also keeps the plastic door close pressure tab from breaking. It firms the whole drive up and protects it. I would make a replica card or put a cleaning disk in... failing that a clean floppy could also be left in the drive... but not long term storage as the medium can affix in different ways...