IGNORED

Fear of the Dark (Atari 2600)

MemberAtarian

On Harmony, of course you have to use PAL60 since PAL60 has the PAL color codes. :D The TIA has two different palettes for the hexa codes, the only difference between the two versions are these codes.

On Stella, you have to set the game type manually (Options >> Game Properties >> Display >> Format) because it detects 262 scanlines as NTSC by default (PAL has 316, so it can easily tell that is PAL (or PAL50)).

Hey,

first, thank you for the work you put into this. It's very atmospheric. I can feel the tension! :)

Just one bit of feedback: both my Harmony and Stella detect the PAL 60 as being NTSC. So to get the correct colours, with Stella I need to use the NTSC version, and on the 2600 with Harmony I need to use the the PAL 60, since the colour shift will make the orange I see in Stella appear yellow, thus correct. Thought I'd mention this, because maybe this is a simple declaration in the program that's missing? I don't have a clue how this works.

Not a biggie anyway, since the desired effect is achieved. I just need to keep both versions :)

Cheers

On Stella, you have to set the game type manually (Options >> Game Properties >> Display >> Format) because it detects 262 scanlines as NTSC by default (PAL has 316, so it can easily tell that is PAL (or PAL50)).

That's the thing though. As I said, played, on the harmony, it's nice and yellow as intended. But on Stella with the pal60 rom, if I choose NTSC it's orange, if I choose pal60 (or pal for that matter) it's green. I attached a picture.

post-35468-0-81410300-1556800659_thumb.png

ok, so my curiosity was picked, and I experimented further. My usual setup is the following: my light sixer, modded for composite output, goes into my ligawo upscaler to hdmi, and from there to my acer H5380BD projector. This works fine, the output from the harmony is recognised as pal (for the harmony itself and pal games) and outputs at 1080p@60Hz. So far, so good.

Now I have two pal60 games showing opposite behaviours. This one shows the wrong colours on stella but the correct ones through my setup. The upscaler tells me it's receiving NTSC443, though, not PAL.

The other game, Tyre Trax, http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282483-final-tyre-trax/page-8 , shows what I believe are the intended colours in stella but in use through my setup it's somewhat darker. Not a huge bummer, just less pretty and some obstacles can be overlooked.

It got me thinking, though, maybe there is something wrong with my setup. So I took out my old but trusty Toshiba TDP-FF!, a tiny projector that doesn't have hdmi and plugged the console directly into its composite port, and voila ! Reverso ! The projector recognises PAL all the time, but now Fear of the dark is green and Tyre Trax has the correct colours, both just as in Stella on the pal60 setting.