IGNORED

Atari ST(e) and OSSC

• 1 month later...

Hey there. I own a OSSC and I have to say it is the best option to use for a HDMI solution. I have a SCART cable that works great with low and med res. You can get right up to the screen and see little to no noise or distortion. Its a strait plug and play and the LCD screen tells you the signal its receiving. I have heard that the Framemister works great with it too, but this is the next step down as far as price goes, and it is so worth it. Best solution in my book, highly recommended.

The still substantial cost of the OSSC, combined with the uncertainty around its fitness for the targets I want, made me spring for the Framemeister. I can't say I am absolutely in love with it. It proved useless for working with VESA video from my old DOS/Windows 3.1 gaming PC's. However, it does the job better than anything else I have seen so far when it comes to RGB over SCART; which is how I push all of my old consoles. Maybe I will complete the massive collection of scalers and converters I have acquired over the years and get an OSSC at some point in the future.

Is anyone using the OSSC with an Atari ST or STe? What is the experience? Plug & Play? HD15 or SCART cable?

I have one, and the Best multisync cable. I'm not terribly impressed with passing through that cable to the OSSC - ST High doesn't look right, and ST Medium seems to be missing lines.

I ordered an SCART cable and I want to try that through the OSSC. I'll post an update when that gets here.

I have tried EVERYTHING I could to use the ST with my OSSC, absolutely nothing works. I've tried STf, STfm, STe models, PAL and NTSC ones. Nothing comes through. A friend of mine, electronician and well versed in retro consoles and computers, has modified my SCART cable twice for it to work, even adding a 75ohm / TTL switch. Nothing works. At least, thanks to the cable mods he did, it works now on my Sony PVM, I can use any ST model, which was not the case before.

I'm really disappointed since all my other retrocomputers and consoles work without any trouble on the OSSC :mad: . BTW I've also tried it on a Framemeister, same result !...

I have tried EVERYTHING I could to use the ST with my OSSC, absolutely nothing works. I've tried STf, STfm, STe models, PAL and NTSC ones. Nothing comes through. A friend of mine, electronician and well versed in retro consoles and computers, has modified my SCART cable twice for it to work, even adding a 75ohm / TTL switch. Nothing works. At least, thanks to the cable mods he did, it works now on my Sony PVM, I can use any ST model, which was not the case before.

I got mine working when the cable arrived a few days ago. At first, it would work for a few seconds, then lose sync, then it would work... Over and over and over. I jiggled the cable a bit and all is good now. I may have a short somewhere in my SCART cable. Which firmware does your OSSC have? I'm running 0.81 on mine.

This is by far the best image I've gotten out of my 1040STe other than using my SC1224. I now have a ZX Spectrum +2 and the STe going though the OSSC's SCART connector using a Hydra 2 SCART switch. I'll add a PC Engine to it soon.

My STe does exhibit ghosting over any cable, so I'm going to perform the upgrade mentioned here: http://exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/VIDEOFIX/index.htm- I did something similar to my Spectrum and that cleared up its output.

Edited by robdaemon

I got mine working when the cable arrived a few days ago. At first, it would work for a few seconds, then lose sync, then it would work... Over and over and over. I jiggled the cable a bit and all is good now. I may have a short somewhere in my SCART cable. Which firmware does your OSSC have? I'm running 0.81 on mine.

This is by far the best image I've gotten out of my 1040STe other than using my SC1224. I now have a ZX Spectrum +2 and the STe going though the OSSC's SCART connector using a Hydra 2 SCART switch. I'll add a PC Engine to it soon.

My STe does exhibit ghosting over any cable, so I'm going to perform the upgrade mentioned here: http://exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/VIDEOFIX/index.htm- I did something similar to my Spectrum and that cleared up its output.

Sadly I'm wait past jiggling the cable ... I forgot to mention I also have cheap chinese upscalers that exhibit the sames symptoms.

I use firmware 0.80a. I doubt the update will change something but I know I have to do it!

The mod you're talking about on the STe is already done on mine!

• 3 years later...
11 hours ago, Andres Vettori said:

Hi there, what RBG to SCART cable I need to use for OSSC? I plan to build the cable myself and there are some variances out there. Thanks in advance.

Cool Novelties has the best, in my opinion.

https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/atari-st-video-cables/43-atari-ste-rgb-scart-video-cable-with-stereo-audio-0705693505428.html

They sell them on ebay in the U.K., Europe and the U.S. as well. I think they still ship from the U.K. though, regardless of where you order them from.

Here, with two Atari STE machines, using an OSSC via RGB SCART.

It works really well, but I need to deactivate any short of post-processing in my TV set previously, in order to obtain a very near to CRT image.

The option for scanlines is great too, also complementary dithering from Metal Slug port works well with this device;

the best solution (price is still affordable, is not cheap, but is not extremely expensive) for current HDMI input only TVs.

On 8/30/2021 at 2:09 PM, masteries said:

Here, with two Atari STE machines, using an OSSC via RGB SCART.

It works really well, but I need to deactivate any short of post-processing in my TV set previously, in order to obtain a very near to CRT image.

The option for scanlines is great too, also complementary dithering from Metal Slug port works well with this device;

the best solution (price is still affordable, is not cheap, but is not extremely expensive) for current HDMI input only TVs.

Hi all! I have ordered a new OSSC for my Atari STE and I'm going to test an RGB to SCART cable for OSSC that switches from COLOR to MONO video modes. 

I'm including the cable schematics and I have already built it, so I'm now eagerly waiting for the OSSC to arrive and test this thing.

Keep you posted...

20210905_124403.jpg

20210906_101737.jpg

20210906_200926.jpg

Hi All!  I'm noticing that most of the video modes shows some "wobbliness" or "waves". 

I have tried playing with some settings but could not found one that fixes it. 

So I'm thinking this behavior might be related to some video signals not coming through resistors as recommended in most RGB / SCART cables, in particular for the color (RGB) signals (although color levels seems to be OK) or CSYNC (from pin 2 in RGB to pin 20 in SCART).

Any pointers? 

Thanks!

If I were to guess, I'd chalk it up to your cable and shielding, at least at the points where you've spliced in and added components, though the resistors you mentioned not having could have an impact as well. Being in NTSC land, I don't have a lot of experience with SCART, but I did purchase an Atari STe SCART cable from Cool Novelties for use with my OSSC, and I can honestly say that I have never experienced any wobbliness like what you're seeing. Though this cable only works with the two color modes, the image is unbelievably crystal clear and rock stable. I do plan to go through all of Exxos' ST mandatory fixes soon, but I haven't so far, and it doesn't seem to have affected my display, at least so far.

14 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

If I were to guess, I'd chalk it up to your cable and shielding, at least at the points where you've spliced in and added components, though the resistors you mentioned not having could have an impact as well. Being in NTSC land, I don't have a lot of experience with SCART, but I did purchase an Atari STe SCART cable from Cool Novelties for use with my OSSC, and I can honestly say that I have never experienced any wobbliness like what you're seeing. Though this cable only works with the two color modes, the image is unbelievably crystal clear and rock stable. I do plan to go through all of Exxos' ST mandatory fixes soon, but I haven't so far, and it doesn't seem to have affected my display, at least so far.

Thanks a lot for your response, @bfollowell. Could you measure this Cool Novelties cable to check if the RGB and CSYNC are going trough resistors? 

RED is pin 7 on ATARI DIN and pin 15 on SCART.

GREEN is pin 6 on ATARI DIN and pin 11 on SCART.

BLUE is pin 10 on ATARI DIN and pin 7 on SCART.

CSYNC is pin 2 on ATARI DIN and pin 20 on SCART.

It's packed away at the moment, but I'll try to pull it out this weekend and check it out and let you know what I found out.

I definitely appreciate you working on this and confirming everything with us. I use low and medium resolution for 99% of my ST computing, but I would love to have one cable that allows me to use all three modes with my OSSC/STe setup without always having to swap out cables and OSSC ports.

Also, did you just use the mono audio output from the monitor port? The cable I got from Cool Novelties has RCA inputs that allow me to hookup to the stereo outputs from the STe and feed them into the SCART connector. Check it out here.

Edited by bfollowell

6 hours ago, Andres Vettori said:

I have added some resistors to RGB & TTL CSYNC signals and the general quality of the video signal improved a lot. 

Also took the opportunity to add some better shielding to some parts of the cable that were exposed before, maybe that also contributed.

Image quality is much better now. 

Agv

That's awesome!

I'm so glad that it worked.