IGNORED

Printing 16 colour Neochrome pictures from a real Atari ST today?

Does anybody know what was the last generation of colour inkjet/laser printers that could be used with an Atari ST?

I remember when I borrowed a printer from school in the summer I used the screen dump facility and it just worked, probably after setting some dip switches too, but that was a 9 pin dot matrix and monochrome (Epson FX-80 I think).

Inkjet printers came more in the era of the Falcon I think from memory.

(of course I could transfer them from disk onto a PC, convert them to BMP etc and then print them no problem but that means I have to use a PC.....so less of an authentic experience for fun).

Inkjet printers were present on market already in 1988. Monochrome.

Most likely, there is no driver SW for Atari and color inkjet printers. So, you have 2 options: to write driver SW self, or to print it from MAC :-D

...or Windows as I said. I found a website about a software company that wrote their own drivers after pestering Atari for ages for printer driver developer files to make them. It would be easier to write a AAA game for the ST from what I gather :)

Use ImageCopy, it imports NeoChrome pics and has inkjet drivers.

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-st-imagecopy_30638.html

That looks quite useful indeed, thanks for the link.

It even mentions Laserjet compatibility, I wonder when the last Color Laserjet model with a Parallel port was produced, time to see if people still list them up on ebay.

Well, you can use emulator to save Atari screen in BMP or some other regular format too. So, we are at 'worst' solution again - using PC :-D

I had color inkjet for parallel port some 10 years ago, still working. But parallel port was serious speed problem - during printing everything slowed down in Windows, so could not do anything other while. USB is much more multitasking friendly. I would not recommend parallel port printer, not even for Atari - they are just too old. New ones are cheap.