IGNORED

400/800 Commercial Memory Upgrades

MrFish

I was starting to add information about RAM upgrades, for the 400/800 series of machines, to the website I'm building for Atari Hardware. To my dismay,

I've found there is very little in the way of documentation for commercial upgrades available online in this area. The only one I've been able to find thus

far is the 400 48K RAM expansion instructions.

Looking at the Atari FAQ (and from my own recollections of conversations on these forums) I know there are many more that were available. I have

documentation for the Axlon RAMPower 32, which I'll be scanning. Does anyone else have 400/800 commercial documentation that they can scan and

contribute to the community? Also, pictures of the live modules would be nice for the record as well. I have found pictures on AA of some modules such

as: Chrystal Computer Products 256K RAMCard, Mosaic 32K RAM Board, and a few others; but no documentation for these. Any help is greatly

appreciated.

post-6369-0-11392100-1530386246_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

I have nothing to add, unfortunately. I hope you succeed in the quest though - I have an MPP 32K board in one of my 800's. I'd love to see the docs that came with it initially.

Would you take some pictures of it? It's nice to have some modern images of these boards, as most installation manuals don't offer much in the way of visuals.

Would you take some pictures of it? It's nice to have some modern images of these boards, as most installation manuals don't offer much in the way of visuals.

Here you go, for the front at least. It's an MPC board, not an MPP (typo in my original reply). I did a search on the forum a few years back and there's at least one other post from someone who has one. I bought this machine on eBay in a bit lot of 800-related stuff about 15-16 years ago and never opened it up until the last couple years. I'll get a photo of the back of the board tonight or tomorrow if you like.

post-30400-0-29333900-1530394569_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

What ever I have I would have scanned. I know I scanned a 128K Atari 800 upgrade manual.

https://archive.org/details/CCP128KRamcardManual. I have the box (just plain white with simple label) and the disk which I should have copied and posted on Atariage.

Yes, you did start a thread about it on AtariAge: CCP 128K RAMCard.

The software is a bonus. Thanks Allan.

Edited by MrFish

Here you go, for the front at least. It's an MPC board, not an MPP (typo in my original reply). I did a search on the forum a few years back and there's at least one other post from someone who has one. I bought this machine on eBay in a bit lot of 800-related stuff about 15-16 years ago and never opened it up until the last couple years. I'll get a photo of the back of the board tonight or tomorrow if you like.

Thanks DrVenk. Yeah, I didn't think that sounded right about MPP -- as I was looking for that in the FAQ.

Sure, post a photo of the other side; the more details, the better.

Okay, here are some better photos of the MPC board in one of my 800's. It wasn't inside the machine I thought it was and I had to dig it out of the garage this afternoon. Anyway …

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time. It's a neat board.

As promised, here's a PDF of the Axlon RAMPower 32 manual.

post-6369-0-07960400-1530484713.jpg

Axlon RAMPower 32 - Manual.pdf

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have an 800 with a 1MB Axlon but the guy I bought it from no longer had the manual for it.

Wow neat, don't think I've ever seen a real axlon that big before. Anyone know if 1MB was originally available from Axlon themselves, or was it a mod? That would have made an 800 with SDX a pretty formidable competitor to upgraded XL's and XE's at the time. I also wonder how much max Axlon RAM the original SDX 4.1/4.2 supported.

The logo on the white edge of that 32K board looks like a stylized BMS. Anyone heard of them?

Berkeley Microsystems made the BMS-100 ASCI to SCSI adapter for the ST. They were in business from 1980 to 1988 so this RAM card could be another of their products.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...