IGNORED

400/800 Commercial Memory Upgrades

MrFish

4 hours ago, BillC said:

The legs look more like socket pins, as if the plastic shell of the socket has been removed.

Yes in deed they look very much like socket pins. I had the same impression.

I hadn’t had time yet to reassemble the 400. Will do that most likely tomorrow.

So I finally found time to test the 400.

The good news is that it is running, except the keyboard the first row doesn’t work. I replaced it with another one I have.

But regarding the memory card ?FRE(0) states only 13326, so I guess it sees only 24Kib.

I am not sure if I can test with a known good 48Kib card, due to the different wiring soldered to the main board.

I don’t want to damage the card.

On the memory card I checked already with a DMM for shorts, especially on the vias which had been repaired before.

Any ideas what I can test to narrow down the issue?

F6CAA40A-B080-47F6-854D-2A3A700EC20D.jpeg

99A257D3-4760-4458-BA91-1C4EECA90ACA.jpeg

51 minutes ago, ClausB said:

Hmm, something wrong there. Even without the extra wires on the motherboard it should come up with 32K.

If you want to plug an Atari 16K board in there for testing, then disconnect the gray wire first.

I can test with another 48K board. I have to look through my stuff if I have 16K board without case.

Do I have to disconnect any wire if I want to try the 48K board?

@Spancho

Although the discussion regarding your Atari 400 and memory board(s) is rather interesting, I think it's a bad idea to turn this thread into a personal troubleshooting documentary. The main idea for this thread is to have 400/800 memory cards pictured and their associated documentation posted.

I think a better idea would be to start a new thread and continue your discussion there.

From the threads initial post:

Does anyone else have 400/800 commercial documentation that they can scan and contribute to the community? Also, pictures of the live modules would be nice for the record as well... Any help is greatly appreciated.

11 hours ago, Spancho said:

So I finally found time to test the 400.

The good news is that it is running, except the keyboard the first row doesn’t work. I replaced it with another one I have.

But regarding the memory card ?FRE(0) states only 13326, so I guess it sees only 24Kib.

I am not sure if I can test with a known good 48Kib card, due to the different wiring soldered to the main board.

I don’t want to damage the card.

On the memory card I checked already with a DMM for shorts, especially on the vias which had been repaired before.

Any ideas what I can test to narrow down the issue?

F6CAA40A-B080-47F6-854D-2A3A700EC20D.jpeg

99A257D3-4760-4458-BA91-1C4EECA90ACA.jpeg

I've noticed these BKey keyboards don't seem to be that reliable as time goes on. Having a faulty connect in a single key can lead to a missing row in the matrix. I've found this so annoying that I'm considering a project to create something I dub the 'reBKey A400' utilizing the original keycaps . I have it drawn in CAD, and have yet to mill the PCB.....so hold onto that dead BKey (or maybe sell?). BTW....if anybody should happen to read this, I'm looking for a "1 key' that is missing on my BKey. Anybody?

reBKeyA400.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

I think a better idea would be to start a new thread and continue your discussion there.

Sorry, agreed.

One more thing about the Btari board though: Its design is so similar to the Atari 48K board it's tempting to think it's a copy. But could the Btari have come first? Could Atari have bought the design? The Btari looks prototypish to me, so I wonder.

8 hours ago, ClausB said:

Sorry, agreed.

Not a big deal. Off-Topic is to be expected, and often desirable.

8 hours ago, ClausB said:

One more thing about the Btari board though: Its design is so similar to the Atari 48K board it's tempting to think it's a copy. But could the Btari have come first? Could Atari have bought the design? The Btari looks prototypish to me, so I wonder.

Interesting, and maybe possible. 

8 hours ago, cornchip said:

I've noticed these BKey keyboards don't seem to be that reliable as time goes on. Having a faulty connect in a single key can lead to a missing row in the matrix. I've found this so annoying that I'm considering a project to create something I dub the 'reBKey A400' utilizing the original keycaps . I have it drawn in CAD, and have yet to mill the PCB.....so hold onto that dead BKey (or maybe sell?). BTW....if anybody should happen to read this, I'm looking for a "1 key' that is missing on my BKey. Anybody?

reBKeyA400.JPG

Any 400 keyboard replacement would have some backing/interest from the community, I'm sure. The B-Key was pretty popular.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I found this in friend's PAL 400, so no documentation. Forgot to take a picture of the rear and added wires on the board.

Brand/marking seems to read "TEP".

I don't think I saw it on this thread yet. 

If I read the chip markings (MCM6665AP15) correctly, it's 64K, but the machine is not ready, so I haven't checked whether it has RAM at $C000. Maybe @ClausB can tell from simply looking at it.

IMG_3534.thumb.JPG.008320f58aa450673dfd38764828917f.JPG

• Like 4

On 2/2/2021 at 5:55 PM, cornchip said:

reBKeyA400.JPG

If you do count me as a buyer.  My B-Key just died.