LidLikesIntellivision 558,040 10

SpiceWare 270,660 9

oyamafamily 130,050 8

retrogoober 120,530 7

reallybrett 61,330 6

Beaver 60,040 5

arenafoot 14,580 4

Edited by LidLikesIntellivision

Join us LIVE today on the ZeroPage Homebrew Video Gaming Twitch livestream at 7PM PT/10PM ET where we go for the HIGH SCORE in Draconian as part of the 2018 Homebrew Tournament: Round 2!!
The high scores are pretty amazingly high so far on the board (great job!) but we'll do our best to put some decent numbers up on there. Come join us on the stream!

post-37205-0-70358200-1532560285_thumb.png

• Like 1

Here are our scores from Wednesday's show!

cimmerian: 200250 (1:09:32 to 1:30:32) Direct Link

Aerlan: 96990 (1:45:23 to 1:59:10) Direct Link

Just watched the full gaming section. You make great videos as always, it's nice to watch. And congratulations for your scores!

Continueing the talk on your video, if you don't mind continueing several days after it ended, the first homebrew I played was This Planet Sucks!

The game came with an early branched version of Stella, called StellaX. At first, I didn't know it was a homebrew.

I'm not sure if Juno First was the first homebrew I bought...

Atari 2600, the black Vader, was my first console, missile command was the very first game I played.

About Draconian, my gameplay is not too different from yours.

I like to destroy the pods too, but it's not rare I destroy 4 or 5 and then shoot the core.

One thing I do different is shooting the pods in all directions as oportunity arrives. I didn't see you shooting pods diagonally. I like to shoot pods as soon as possible so they don't shoot on me.

I believe, one day, we both will roll Draconian score.

• Like 1

Thanks so much LidLikesIntellivision, glad you enjoy the show! Also, thanks on the high score. I think you're right, with a little more practice we could roll the draconian score (although I'm not sure if it maxes out at six or seven digits!!)

Yes, I think the strategy for getting higher scores is going for as many pods as possible and then the core. Any other method in the game just takes too long to rack up the score and is too dangerous. I find the diagonals sometimes a little tricky to use them to my full advantage but I probably should practice so I can add that to my arsenal of attack.

That's amazing that you're able to remember the first homebrew you ever played. Missile Command is great, I found that game to be hauntingly tense. Of course playing it in the 80's had a very different meaning, during the cold war.

Thanks again for hosting this tournament and giving me another excuse to play this amazing game!

Just watched the full gaming section. You make great videos as always, it's nice to watch. And congratulations for your scores!

Continueing the talk on your video, if you don't mind continueing several days after it ended, the first homebrew I played was This Planet Sucks!

The game came with an early branched version of Stella, called StellaX. At first, I didn't know it was a homebrew.

I'm not sure if Juno First was the first homebrew I bought...

Atari 2600, the black Vader, was my first console, missile command was the very first game I played.

About Draconian, my gameplay is not too different from yours.

I like to destroy the pods too, but it's not rare I destroy 4 or 5 and then shoot the core.

One thing I do different is shooting the pods in all directions as oportunity arrives. I didn't see you shooting pods diagonally. I like to shoot pods as soon as possible so they don't shoot on me.

I believe, one day, we both will roll Draconian score.

Final Ranking

Congratulations to all players!

Player Score Points

-------------------------------------------------------

LidLikesIntellivision 558,040 10

SpiceWare 270,660 9

retrogoober 218,500 8

cimerian 200,250 7

Nathan Strum 184,480 6

oyamafamily 132,050 5

Aerlan 96,990 4

Phantom_of_Krankor 92,020 3

reallybrett 61,330 2

Beaver 60,040 1

devwebcl 15,690 1

arenafoot 14,580 1

Arthur 11,570 1

After round 2, here's the accumulated Tournament rankings

Congratulations to all players!

Player Place Points (round1 + round2)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LidLikesIntellivision 1 20

retrogoober 2 17

cimerian 3 13

oyamafamily 4 12

SpiceWare 5 9

Gray Defender 6 8

reallybrett 7 7

Nathan Strum 8 6

sicksweet 9 4

Aerlan 9 4

KaeruYojimbo 11 3

Phantom_of_Krankor 11 3

Karokoenig 13 2

Arenafoot 13 2

Beaver 15 1

devwebcl 15 1

Arthur 15 1

P.S.: I really need to figure out how to paste formattted tables on AA. My allignment is awfull.

Edited by LidLikesIntellivision
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

It's half way to roll the score and we still have half the month. Maybe I can do it!

attachicon.gifIMG_20180715_092804.jpg

I made sure to ask that SpiceWare program the score to continue into the millions digit and not to "roll" when I saw there was room for "millions" in the way this game displays the score.

He assures me it will display into the hundreds(?) of millions. :o

Cool?

Edited by iesposta

7 digit display was added when I split the combined radar and formation display back in 2014. That update also added support for a 10 character alphanumeric display, used for the SECTOR #. Original plan was to show scrolling text for those who didn't have an AtariVox for the various speech messages. After changing from DPC+ to CDF we were able to use speech samples instead.

I just ran Draconian and changed the score in RAM to make sure it still works.
post-3056-0-83984800-1552414148.png

I then tried to kill myself off to confirm the scores on the main screen supported it as well, but every time I died I earned a free ship!

That's due to how the logic was implemented:

static void IncreaseScore(int points)
{
  gScore = BCDadd(gScore, points);
  if (gScore >= gExtraLife)
  {
    TriggerSoundEffect(SOUND_BONUS_LIFE);
    gReserveLives++;
    if (gExtraLife == FIRST_BONUS)      gExtraLife = NEXT_BONUS;
    else                                gExtraLife = BCDadd(gExtraLife, NEXT_BONUS);
  }
}

FIRST_BONUS = 20,000
NEXT_BONUS = 70,000

Basically every time you earn a point (and you earn a point for destroying whatever you flew into) the bonus life logic triggers because the current score is greater than the next extra life score. Part of the bonus life logic sets the next extra life score, which the score is still well beyond. Extra lives are at 20K, 70K, 140K, 210K, etc (+70K). Eventually that'll catch up to the hacked score, but I didn't want to wait.

So to get around that I tracked down the location of gExtraLife in RAM, and changed it as well. I then crashed down to 0 lives remaining, reset the score to 1234557, and ran into an asteroid to score 10 points so the score would end with 67:
post-3056-0-74248800-1552415540.png

post-3056-0-77911300-1552415546.png

post-3056-0-48651500-1552415550.png
  • Like 1