IGNORED

gravity snake

xxl

Yesterday I finally managed how to fix this game. [emoji2]

You need the unLZ4ed version from Baktra (46030 bytes long). Change 6 bytes in the offsets listed below to $01.

- $0611 (there is an address $D3FD)

- $0628 ($D3F9)

- $361C ($D3F5)

- $3624 ($D3F1)

- $676F ($D3ED)

- $6798 ($D3E9).

There is a certain regularity. As you can see, the address is decreased by 4 bytes with each subsequent occurrence. [emoji4]

Thanks voy. I am new to the Atari 8bit line but even I managed to hex edit the file and now it works perfectly on my 130XE with the U1mb fitted.

It’s a shame some coders do not try to get their projects to the widest possible audience but it’s their project and their decision. The same happened for a while on the CPC community with which I am more familiar with products being deliberately crippled on emulators, or EPROM based software refusing to run on flash based rom cards for example. Fortunately this was a short lived practice so hopefully the same will happen here on the Atari platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xxl said:

not true.

I am an unconcerned watcher of this drama from the grandstand of not owning a U1MB. ANd I have to admit that this is better than Netflix. :-D

But I do not get the reason why you insist on accessing replicated/mirrored/whatever-one-wants-to-call-it memory locations instead of the base ones, which seem not to cause any problems with both buggy and bugfree hardware.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Marius said:

Haha yes. I understand now. I should have known better since Xirius Defect (XXL) runs without any problem on U1MB.

It does so... And I hate to say but I think I am becoming addicted to it. that now means I have 3 very unique modern games that will keep me coming back to my Atari 8bit

RGB, Gravity Worms (Now it's patched and works) and Xirius Defect XXL.

57 minutes ago, CraigsBar said:

It does so... And I hate to say but I think I am becoming addicted to it. that now means I have 3 very unique modern games that will keep me coming back to my Atari 8bit

RGB, Gravity Worms (Now it's patched and works) and Xirius Defect XXL.

Try 2048 game. It is fabulous too. (Sorry for off topic response.... )

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Finally admitted your being an asshole by deliberately crippling software.  That wasn't so hard now, was 

Ok guys. Everything is said now. The game can be fixed... or you could take out your U1MB or you could decide not to play this game. 

Although I dislike the behavior it is xxl's right to code his stuff the way he wants. I also know people who tried to write software that did  not run on an emulator or software that only run on SpartaDod 3.2d ...

As the end user I decide what I want to run and what not. For a few days I try to use a 128K 65xe with just a 1050 with mini speedy and some carts (The!Cart, Sic, AtariMax) and it is very  nice. So there is life without U1MB... I hate negativity .... a8 is fun!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marius said:

Although I dislike the behavior it is xxl's right to code his stuff the way he wants.

No-one disputes anyone's right to be a jerk, but when one offers a product for appraisal (which I assume to be the purpose of releasing software and opening a thread about it), one can expect a reaction. Having said that, arguing with the developer's methods is to simply play into his hands, since he no doubt enjoys every minute of this. This was also the case with the pleas for 'digital downloads' from another developer who enjoyed being as difficult as possible and building pointless obfuscation into his software. If the developer wishes to lock out a four-figure number of potential users because of fanatical ideology, we should not try to prevent him from making such a mistake. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Marius said:

Ok guys. Everything is said now. The game can be fixed... or you could take out your U1MB or you could decide not to play this game. 

Although I dislike the behavior it is xxl's right to code his stuff the way he wants.

Yes. I all the rest have the right to say how lame it is. Its not even lame per se. Wont elaborate more here.

The game should not to be "to be fixed" in the first place. He did it on purpose.

Lesson learn. Gonna be fun.

• Like 2

Meanwhile my interest in the Atari has changed. I'm not anymore willing to try to do people the correct stuff. 

It's just super amusing, how things were going. 

A "Kompo" has ended that searches for equality without a chance.

More than 80 Games? Well, particular the Turrican port is well done. An earned 1st place. 

What are the contestants?

Really new developed games for stock machines

Really new developed games for non stock machines

New games for super modified machines

Games that don't run on a stock machine

Great conversions of games

Games with added new levels

Games that just have been changed in their looks. 

If I forgot something, please add ;)

Seems I have to create a PC case that looks like the 800XL. Then I will show that the newest games will run on "my Atari" . 

Self-fulfilment at it's best. 

2 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

No-one disputes anyone's right to be a jerk, but when one offers a product for appraisal (which I assume to be the purpose of releasing software and opening a thread about it), one can expect a reaction. Having said that, arguing with the developer's methods is to simply play into his hands, since he no doubt enjoys every minute of this. This was also the case with the pleas for 'digital downloads' from another developer who enjoyed being as difficult as possible and building pointless obfuscation into his software. If the developer wishes to lock out a four-figure number of potential users because of fanatical ideology, we should not try to prevent him from making such a mistake. :)

Exact what I mean. And I think using words as 'asshole' are not needed to be used. Everybody can take their own conclusions without using any of those words. 

And though I absolutely dislike the behavior, I have my doubts myself about the fact that U1MB was created in a way that it was not compatible with MyIDE 2 (how cool would it have been that MyIDE 2 could act like a PBI device with U1MB). I have my ideas about that too, but I will not start shooting with certain personal qualifications on the board towards creator of U1MB. Do you see what I mean? Certain childish behavior is not limited to just XXL. 

Edit above: sorry, made a wrong assumption. I apologize. Sorry Candle. Should have done better fact-checking, which I did not. 

XXL did his annoying thing. Well he will definitely not make himself popular to U1MB owners, but I think that will be *his* problem. It does not change anything when people start bashing him on a public forum. In fact, just like you said, that is probably exact what he likes to see happen.

Edited by Marius

1 hour ago, solo/ng said:

Yes. I all the rest have the right to say how lame it is.

Yes. But there is a difference (for me) judging one's actions, and judging a person. Telling that someone is an asshole, does not add any constructivity (is this a word?) to any debate ever. 

Edited by Marius

2 minutes ago, Marius said:

Yes. But there is a difference (for me) judging one's actions, and judging a person. Telling that someone is an asshole, does not add any constructive to any debate ever. 

Perhaps not, but he consistently said he did not code to break U1MB on purpose, slandered me (and others) on public forums when I said he did such an act.  He threatened to come after some of us for libel for such "lies".  Few weeks go by, and he finally shows how childish his actions were by saying he did it because he feels "comfortable" in doing so.  So I apologize for calling him an asshole.  That is opinion.  What the facts are;  he is antagonistic and himself a liar and owes me an apology for saying I lied about him.

• Like 3

Marius: say what? when i started side project, i've developed software for it - for all that could benefit - including myide interface, if myide came second, then it should be made to profit from u1mb abilities, not to work against it

besides, what are real obstacles here?

all i can see is 2019 copyright on myide-ii interface web page, thus how this be my fault?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, candle said:

Marius: say what? when i started side project, i've developed software for it - for all that could benefit - including myide interface, if myide came second, then it should be made to profit from u1mb abilities, not to work against it

besides, what are real obstacles here?

all i can see is 2019 copyright on myide-ii interface web page, thus how this be my fault?

Okay. Apologies then. I was pretty convinced that this was true. 

it is certainly not, even now my builds include myide interface - mind i was absent for several years as life happends to us all and was not aware that myide-ii interface was introduced, not to mention to stop it being incorporated into u1mb ecosystem, besides - i could not know what cartridge could possibly do to make it incompatible with u1mb and i'm sure, that if anyone would have a will, one would write apriopriate driver that could be flashed instead default side driver 

if this does not exist then it is just lack of intrest of creators of myide-ii interface

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, candle said:

it is certainly not, even now my builds include myide interface - mind i was absent for several years as life happends to us all and was not aware that myide-ii interface was introduced, not to mention to stop it being incorporated into u1mb ecosystem, besides - i could not know what cartridge could possibly do to make it incompatible with u1mb and i'm sure, that if anyone would have a will, one would write apriopriate driver that could be flashed instead default side driver 

if this does not exist then it is just lack of intrest of creators of myide-ii interface

@candle Please see my apologies in my reply and my initial post, where I also added apologies. I was wrong, should have done better fact checking. 

MyIDE and MyIDE 2 can be used with U1MB, but I made obviously my own theory about the fact that PBI did not work with U1MB was on purpose. 

It is again a good lesson not to judge too soon, and be careful with assumptions and accusations.

We all -including me- like your U1MB Candle. 

Edited by Marius
typo: to changed into too
  • Thanks 1

It's OK Marius

just wanted to have this clearly stated

I don't have any issue of people disliking u1mb - world is big enough to have some variety, i just don't see a point of torpeding working of software that could just run correctly on given system by doing dumb stuff

this is not the case of Atari not working because of XXL actions, just his software, and if he feels comfortable to do so, lets it be that way, but if he goes with this on market - meaning making commercial product from his creations (he wrote this on atariarea forum) - people either get angry (not reading software descriptions is quite common) and will want refund, or will be insisting on fixed version

i highly doubt that his action can make any dent on u1mb and how it works - i would see his actions as game stopper for some, that seeing another title he writes will think to themselves - why bother

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

Finally admitted your being an asshole by deliberately crippling software.  That wasn't so hard now, was it.

should I change my habits to make you feel good? no kidding. ? Do you think I'm writing games for you or anyone else? I write because I like it ? don't waste your life on your nerves ...