Jump to content
xxl

gravity snake

Recommended Posts

yes, many unnecessary words came from the mouths of various "colleagues", eg a horse's face ... I don't know if they insulted me because in fact the woman told me that I had a face like a horse.

 

it's a pity that some people discuss everything but the game.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how Xirius Defect XXL got hacked into this thread.

Regarding Gravity Worms, nice game. Have you designed the levels or they are taken from "original" game? I played couple of them and I have to say they are quite evil. It must be super hard to design them cleverly.

Regarding U1MB, I did not even know what U1MB is until I read this thread :)... i did not understand what were your intensions, but I have stock 800XL so it does not concern me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, matosimi said:

Regarding Gravity Worms, nice game. Have you designed the levels or they are taken from "original" game? I played couple of them and I have to say they are quite evil. It must be super hard to design them cleverly.

levels are tuned versions of these games such as: GravitySnake (c64), GravitySnake (pico-8), AppleWorm (PC), GravitySnake (PC), SnakeBirds (PC). Each of them added something to the idea but none of them has them all at once.

Evolution can be observed on the example of the player himself, versions on c64 or pico-8 have only one in GravityWorms two work together. Moving objects: the simplest versions do not have them at all, the first version on pico-8 introduces objects but the interaction between them is very limited (you can only move and stack them one at a time), in the SnakeBirds (and GravityWorms) there is already full interaction and additionally objects have active and inactive points... Some elements are missing, e.g. SnakeBirds cannot dig.

 

The Cart version is upgraded with more elements, finally we have a level editor with the ability to use them all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, xxl said:

levels are tuned versions of these games such as: GravitySnake (c64), GravitySnake (pico-8), AppleWorm (PC), GravitySnake (PC), SnakeBirds (PC). Each of them added something to the idea but none of them has them all at once.

Evolution can be observed on the example of the player himself, versions on c64 or pico-8 have only one in GravityWorms two work together. Moving objects: the simplest versions do not have them at all, the first version on pico-8 introduces objects but the interaction between them is very limited (you can only move and stack them one at a time), in the SnakeBirds (and GravityWorms) there is already full interaction and additionally objects have active and inactive points... Some elements are missing, e.g. SnakeBirds cannot dig.

 

The Cart version is upgraded with more elements, finally we have a level editor with the ability to use them all.

Hello! Is the level editor available somewhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yautja said:

Hello! Is the level editor available somewhere?

yes, it is, for the version on the card - the data format is different, optimized for the speed of generation, additionally the tiles can be covered by fruits, etc.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2020 at 10:10 PM, xxl said:

it's a pity that some people discuss everything but the game.

Well, that's exactly the kind of pass I was looking for to comment again in this thread.

 

First of all: this is a good game. Like I've commented earlier in this thread, the game mechanics do their job well, building on top of solid ideas and giving the player a set of levels that are challenging. This really is not a game for casual gamers, you really have to think hard in some of the levels and consider all the things the worms can and can't do.

 

Now, for some nitpicks:

- The music is a bit too... for the lack of a better term I'll go with "busy". Sometimes it grabs my attention when I'm trying to think a few tens of moves ahead and breaks my concentration. Of course the fix for that is to turn the music down or even off. But still I'd have preferred something more relaxed like the Snakebird soundtrack for example.
- Similarly, I'd have welcomed some sound fx, so I can have audio feedback when I move or pick up a fruit. Unless there's an option to turn sfx on and I missed it?
- As for the graphics, I'd have loved to see some distinction between tiles that matter and static tiles. I.e. some sort of hinting of the fruit, as sometimes they're hard to tell apart plain background tiles. Maybe a subtle flash of those items would have helped (although I guess hardware limitations come into play here. Still, sometimes that doesn't put people off!)
- I wish there was a better way to track progress. In some occasions I hit start instead of option to restart a level, and got booted off to the title screen. Then it seems that I have to replay all levels in a world to get to the stage where I was. Not very pleasant, I'll tell you that. Even a sort of password system would have helped, then I could just go back to where I was before the disruption.

 

Hopefully I'm not sounding too negative here. Like I declared above, I like this game. This is just some constructive criticism that only aims to better the game.

 

 

 

As for that other matter in this thread......


I've heard all sorts of remarks from people about toxic members of the community, deliberation, malfeasance, and so on and so forth. My reaction to that is: "What?"

 

If someone wanted to harm people's machines or whatever (as I recall reading in this thread), would they go into all the trouble designing a game and adding bells and whistles to it? Really? I thought one would only need to create a binary that bricks people's machines and send it to a party, like some sad people from the Spectrum community did in the past. So please, don't overreact.

 

Now I will say that not supporting U1MB could have been handled better by the game. For example if the game detects U1MB then display a message like "Sorry, this configuration is not supported" and stop executing, instead of plain freezing without any feedback to the user.


I'm all up for supporting all configurations, or as many as possible. Heck, I've spent a sizeable chunk of my life fixing stuff so they run correctly across the Atari STs, STEs, TTs, Falcons etc. So I know first hand what a pain it can be. In addition, I've also released quite a few games and demoscene productions, all under the same philosophy. All this gives (in my humble opinion of course) some extra weight to my next point: It doesn't really matter.

 

At home I have at least 5 Atari XL/XEs, either stock or modded. If some game or demo requires a different configuration, I just grab another, switch monitor and power cables and joysticks and I'm up and running in minutes. No problems. If push comes to shove I'll just take a look at the software under the hood and try to fix it myself. But this is a very rare phenomenon, because switching machines is much less effort really.

 

I won't say that communicating this was stellar in this thread. There were a lot of accusations flying from both sides which could have been avoided if people were more calm. Also I'm willing to claim that a chunk of miscommunication can be attributed to the language barrier, so misunderstandings happened.

 

 


So, to sum things up (and apologies for dragging on and on with this post):

 

- The game is good, could be better, and I encourage people to try solving just a few levels to fully appreciate all the mechanics. Thanks to the authors for this!
- Calm down people, it's not the end of the world. It's a 40 year old platform and people should be in it for the fun, not the drama!


P.S. If people want to discuss my non game criticism points in the post I encourage them to PM me or hit me up on IRC or something. My intention for this post wasn't to pour more gasoline into the flames, just wanted to present my take on this (and provide some constructive feedback to the authors).

Edited by ggn
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ggn said:

- The music is a bit too... for the lack of a better term I'll go with "busy". Sometimes it grabs my attention when I'm trying to think a few tens of moves ahead and breaks my concentration. Of course the fix for that is to turn the music down or even off. But still I'd have preferred something more relaxed like the Snakebird soundtrack for example.
- Similarly, I'd have welcomed some sound fx, so I can have audio feedback when I move or pick up a fruit. Unless there's an option to turn sfx on and I missed it?
- As for the graphics, I'd have loved to see some distinction between tiles that matter and static tiles. I.e. some sort of hinting of the fruit, as sometimes they're hard to tell apart plain background tiles. Maybe a subtle flash of those items would have helped (although I guess hardware limitations come into play here. Still, sometimes that doesn't put people off!)
- I wish there was a better way to track progress. In some occasions I hit start instead of option to restart a level, and got booted off to the title screen. Then it seems that I have to replay all levels in a world to get to the stage where I was. Not very pleasant, I'll tell you that. Even a sort of password system would have helped, then I could just go back to where I was before the disruption.

thanks, some of these things have already been improved (Cart version), others I will think about how to implement.

control:
Press:
- START is a restart game
- SELECT for next level (hold for a few seconds)
- OPTION is a restart level

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2020 at 8:12 PM, emkay said:

1) Shanti 77 did some great part with Bosconian, but even there he started with a demo that he seems not able to keep.

2) The screen size is about 60% of the 1st impression. It is a very huge difference, if moving objects were a part of the background, or if the move freely.

@emkay 

1) I do not know what you are writing about, what was it in the "demo" version that later disappeared?

2) The screen in the first version had a size of 40x24 characters, currently it is 32x24. In my opinion, the screen size has reduced by 20%. With a width of 8px objects, this width is sufficient.

The first movie was recorded with other Altirra settings "Overscan mode-> Os Screen Only", the rest in "Over ...-> Normal" and the last one additionally fired in the window :)

Edited by shanti77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, shanti77 said:

@emkay 

1) I do not know what you are writing about, what was it in the "demo" version that later disappeared?

2) The screen in the first version had a size of 40x24 characters, currently it is 32x24. In my opinion, the screen size has reduced by 20%. With a width of 8px objects, this width is sufficient.

 

Remember Crownland? The demo came directly from a gamer's heaven, and the final game ended up in the endless hell of missing the point.

The 32 Bytes width killed the game as "something to show" to other people.  

Well, Yoomp! also was set to 32 bytes, but the content didn't need to be full of details and moving objects, while Crownland was promised to be some "Mayhem in Monsterland" on the Atari.

 

 

28 minutes ago, shanti77 said:

The first movie was recorded with other Altirra settings "Overscan mode-> Os Screen Only", the rest in "Over ...-> Normal" and the last one additionally fired in the window :)

I see , so the 60% are real 80%.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ggn said:

If someone wanted to harm people's machines or whatever (as I recall reading in this thread), would they go into all the trouble designing a game and adding bells and whistles to it? Really? I thought one would only need to create a binary that bricks people's machines and send it to a party, like some sad people from the Spectrum community did in the past. So please, don't overreact.

This was exact what I meant that even when XXL's goal was to show flaw in U1MB, the route of creating a complete game is a strange one. Thanks for pointing it out in different words. 

 

19 hours ago, ggn said:

I won't say that communicating this was stellar in this thread. There were a lot of accusations flying from both sides which could have been avoided if people were more calm. Also I'm willing to claim that a chunk of miscommunication can be attributed to the language barrier, so misunderstandings happened.

There seem to be quite some big 'ego' in the scene and on internet forums. People behave really unkind from time to time on AtariAge. I try not to, but like I wrote earlier ... sometimes I step into that pitfall too. Sometimes it is also involvement with the subject. In the heat of the discussion sometimes people go too far. When you sometimes read older threads back, you can really think: huh? why did this happen? And why was I jumping up and down so high ;). But yes, I agree with you. 

 

19 hours ago, ggn said:

- The game is good, could be better, and I encourage people to try solving just a few levels to fully appreciate all the mechanics. Thanks to the authors for this!
- Calm down people, it's not the end of the world. It's a 40 year old platform and people should be in it for the fun, not the drama!

Indeed! A8 is fun. 

19 hours ago, ggn said:

P.S. If people want to discuss my non game criticism points in the post I encourage them to PM me or hit me up on IRC or something. My intention for this post wasn't to pour more gasoline into the flames, just wanted to present my take on this (and provide some constructive feedback to the authors).

Sorry for responding here. Although it is offtopic, this thread derailed pretty much about this, so that makes it slightly more ontopic to respond ;) sorry ;)!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was about to ask for a custom level editor or such... Now I know there will be one.

 

But I still don't know what is the trigger for, other than to close the mouth and freeze. Did I miss something?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vitoco said:

I was about to ask for a custom level editor or such... Now I know there will be one.

 

But I still don't know what is the trigger for, other than to close the mouth and freeze. Did I miss something?

 

Higher levels have 2 worms/snakes, the button swaps between them. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some GravityCats:

 

5e37f6fcc4247_HlXkwh472nE8MpZb1DAEbhOs3qwpG13GiEcE-PsI_JA__700-20200206144928.thumb.jpg.541417169c768fbcefb86ada69ab5761.jpgB3NP6rUCwyx-20200206144929.png.jpg.a50956ed35fec0aaf2b0c695fb60e317.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Haha 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 1:18 PM, ZuluGula said:

@xxl, when the cartridge edition will be available? I want to make sure that I will get one, before you guys will be sold out. 

I second that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

soon, I have to deal with atarionline so that they do not piracy, turning into a commercial product GravityWorms.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2020 at 4:36 PM, voy said:

Yesterday I finally managed how to fix this game. 😃

You need the unLZ4ed version from Baktra (46030 bytes long). Change 6 bytes in the offsets listed below to $01.


- $0611 (there is an address $D3FD)
- $0628 ($D3F9)
- $361C ($D3F5)
- $3624 ($D3F1)
- $676F ($D3ED)
- $6798 ($D3E9).

There is a certain regularity. As you can see, the address is decreased by 4 bytes with each subsequent occurrence. :)

Do you want this version to be different from the basic one? Then edit the data in the locations below:

 

- $6252 - $FF $FF $FF to $D5 $D5 $C5
- $625A - $FF $FF $FF to $13 $11 $53.

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, xxl said:

soon, I have to deal with atarionline so that they do not piracy, turning into a commercial product GravityWorms.

Do I understand right that GravityWorms is no longer freeware but a commercial game? Let me give you then one well meant commercial advice: give the audience what they want. If you want to do business you will have to respect your customers in certain ways. Of course you can state (just like peteym5 did) that you write software for stock Atari and that certain upgrades and modifications are not supported.... or you take the more friendly road and try to serve the community. People want their hard earned money to spend on one of your (future) products... well treat them than as a king. 

 

I never understood the stubbornness from the V61 guys with their buggy and due to cart-only policy unfixable games. So please do not make that same mistake. 

 

So if you go commercial, which is not a bad idea, het yourself a more serving attitude and make your games run on as many configurations as possible. This is AtariAge and many die hard a8 fans on this platform use U1MB and other upgrades. Don't be a stranger please. Thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GravityWorms in the form is published under a freeware license, several users wanted a version running on their equipment and this modified version is commercial. Unfortunately, Voy does piracy and helps "unprotect" my product from the freeware version to the commercial version.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, xxl said:

GravityWorms in the form is published under a freeware license, several users wanted a version running on their equipment and this modified version is commercial. Unfortunately, Voy does piracy and helps "unprotect" my product from the freeware version to the commercial version.

Ah great. So the U1MB version is commercial? How do I order and what are costs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

write to me in a private message address details needed for the invoice in response you will receive an account number to pay. after completing you will receive a digital version of the game on e-mail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, xxl said:

GravityWorms in the form is published under a freeware license, several users wanted a version running on their equipment and this modified version is commercial. Unfortunately, Voy does piracy and helps "unprotect" my product from the freeware version to the commercial version.

 

Hahahaha!

 

The copyright owners of Snake Birds think differently... you are breaking their copyright!

From YOUR webpage  https://xxl.atari.pl/

- Night Driver = copyright infringement of Atari

  (the name Night Driver is a tm of Atari!)
- Apple Invaders = copyright infringement of Taito
- Apple Galaxian = copyright infringement of Namco
- Jet Set Willy = copyright infringement of Mathew Smith (author)
- Jetboy = copyright infringement of Ultimate play the game => Rare => Microsoft
- Knight Lore = copyright infringement of Ultimate => Rare => Microsoft
- Mazezam = copyright infringement of @PikoInteractive
- Nightshade = copyright infringement of Ultimate => Rare => Microsoft

Remove these hacks, ports and conversions from your webpage!

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SnakeBirds doesn't have some of the gameplay elements that GravityWorms has.


So German ABBUC is actively involved in tracking the source of inspiration for GravityWorms ... and properly respecting the copyright of new productions on Atari. I will tell you:

 

  

On 2/3/2020 at 10:01 AM, xxl said:

levels are tuned versions of these games such as: GravitySnake (c64), GravitySnake (pico-8), AppleWorm (PC), GravitySnake (PC), SnakeBirds (PC). Each of them added something to the idea but none of them has them all at once.

Evolution can be observed on the example of the player himself, versions on c64 or pico-8 have only one in GravityWorms two work together. Moving objects: the simplest versions do not have them at all, the first version on pico-8 introduces objects but the interaction between them is very limited (you can only move and stack them one at a time), in the SnakeBirds (and GravityWorms) there is already full interaction and additionally objects have active and inactive points... Some elements are missing, e.g. SnakeBirds cannot dig.

 

The Cart version is upgraded with more elements, finally we have a level editor with the ability to use them all.

 

Edited by xxl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, xxl said:

So German ABBUC is actively involved in tracking the source of inspiration for GravityWorms

No. Every ABBUC member is free to do, whatever they do. ABBUC e.V. is not responsible for actions of single members. They are all unique persons and of course can have their own opinion, whatever it is.

If you discuss with CharlieChaplin, this is only between you and him. ABBUC e.V. is not involved in any way, so please don´t blame the whole club for something it is not involved in.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...