IGNORED

SpartaDOS X 4.46 and Navigating PicoDOS Image Directories

I have a MyIDE II Cart with an internal SpartaDOS X loader. Also connected to the machine is an SIO2SD on D1: with a 16MB PicoDOS image that has games separated into several directories. I can CD between D1: and D2: and can DIR the root of D1:. But when I try to CD into one of the sub-directories in the root of D1:, the system just returns quietly to the prompt and does not change the directory. A DIR again lists the root sub-directories.

Am I doing this right? Is the filesystem on this image partially incompatible with SpartaDOS? Thanks in advance for some help. =)

Edited by pixelmischief

Meh. Ok, thanks.

Why SpartaDos 4.46? I think that 4.48 and 4.49beta look inside of a MyDos directory. If you want to run CLI style with MyDos then D1:GAMEA>FILENAME.EXT will usually do it except some binaries are not SpartaDos friendly and you will need an 'X' space D1:GAMEA>FILENAME.EXT to run. If you just want a directory DIR D1:GAMEA> will list all the files in the folder GAMEA..

Same thing with copy from MyDos directory COPY D1:GAMEA>FILENAME.EXT D3:FILENAME.EXT or the opposite copy from SpartaDos directory to MyDos directory COPY D3:PICO>PICONAME.TXT D1:GAMEA>

If you want to sort a MyDos directory then SORTDIR D1:GAMEA> /T

You should say what you need to accomplish for better examples..

Why SpartaDos 4.46? I think that 4.48 and 4.49beta look inside of a MyDos directory. If you want to run CLI style with MyDos then D1:GAMEA>FILENAME.EXT will usually do it except some binaries are not SpartaDos friendly and you will need an 'X' space D1:GAMEA>FILENAME.EXT to run. If you just want a directory DIR D1:GAMEA> will list all the files in the folder GAMEA..

Same thing with copy from MyDos directory COPY D1:GAMEA>FILENAME.EXT D3:FILENAME.EXT or the opposite copy from SpartaDos directory to MyDos directory COPY D3:PICO>PICONAME.TXT D1:GAMEA>

If you want to sort a MyDos directory then SORTDIR D1:GAMEA> /T

You should say what you need to accomplish for better examples..

I can't remember which older versions of SDX had the problem of SORTDIR corrupting a MyDOS disks. I don't remember when it got fixed either. I do know it is fixed in beta 4.49c

[EDIT]

Apparently the issue was verified in SDX 4.46 and corrected in 4.47.

See here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/241826-sortdir/?do=findComment&comment=3303556

Edited by a8isa1

that is correct, and I am not sure it is completely fixed... 4.49d clobbered a MIO MyDos ramdisk.. it might have been a fluke, I will try to re create it...

Don't forget to use MyDOS R command to set directory (that is a close enough equiv. to cwd cd in Sparta)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Don't forget to use MyDOS R command to set directory (that is equiv. to cwd cd in Sparta)

Well, roughly equivalent, since there's only one working directory across the entire drive set. SDX (like MS-DOS) allows you to set the default drive number and a default path for every drive on the system. The design may have seemed perfectly logical at the time but it does not map well to SDX's directory handling.

• Like 1

with all that being said, MyDOS gets along with the majority of software that follow the 2.0 2.5 etc.. each has it's uses... To be very honest I use MyDOS, SpartaDOS, and SpartaDOS X on a regular basis... it just depends on what I need to be running or doing...

If I roughly rank use as of this point in time

1 Sparta and it's variants

2 OSS A+ and it's variants

3 MyDOS and similar

4 Ataris DOS's

and CP/M is/was the tie that bind things from the past....

You have to keep in mind what one person uses may be quite different from what another uses because of what they do or don't do.

Games versus Utility versus Creation of same.. The Atari is one of the few systems where you can just choose a DOS based on what you are looking to do and be satisfied with the results. We didn't even cover the MicroDOS/PicoDOS/Loaders Realm...

Edited by _The Doctor__

that is correct, and I am not sure it is completely fixed... 4.49d clobbered a MIO MyDos ramdisk.. it might have been a fluke, I will try to re create it...

Don't forget to use MyDOS R command to set directory (that is a close enough equiv. to cwd cd in Sparta)

Did you say 4.49d? It is that out? I wonder if it still has the BAD Error 144 Device Done BUG that 4.49c has?

:)

I think 4.49b handles the microdrives just fine but the others like c on up have weird issue as you get reports of bad sectors or write protections that clearly are not real...not sure if they constitute a device done error but perhaps there is an acknowledge problem. Maybe a timing issue.. as the microdrives tend to cache things a bit and then only spool up as needed.

I'm sure as you play with it some more you will absolutely confirm this to be the situation.

Edited by _The Doctor__

I think 4.49b handles the microdrives just fine but the others like c on up have weird issue as you get reports of bad sectors or write protections that clearly are not real...not sure if they constitute a device done error but perhaps there is an acknowledge problem.

At what point did Microdrives come up? I'm fascinated. :)

A device done error will be returned by the device driver rather than by DOS itself; one could conceivably suppose there was a bug in the SDX SIO driver, but the report of a device done error I heard concerned hard disk partitions, and in that scenario the IO is completely handed off to a PBI driver. So any bug which produces a device done error is likely to be in said PBI handler, although I'm so far completely unable to reproduce any issue with the current Incognito PBI BIOS and SDX 4.49c.

for whatever the reason, 4.49b works with Seagate ST-1 micro-drives, and some IBM microdrives (toshiba drives are a whole nother ball of wax, in that case the drive is the issue), but c and up do not... as to the nuts and bolts of it... has the PBI.SYS driver been changed? I really didn't think it had but that's a question to be asked, as the revisions don't always change on this stuff... of course it could simply be omitted and see if that changes things. Though I wasn't running PBI.SYS when I had issues with the MIO, I believe Kyle was when running the his drive in the incognito and PBI.SYS, but did it really matter since that config was in or out (option key held) and it may have still occured.. 4.49b has it's problems but receiving a bad sector, write protected disk, or error 144 when you wouldn't expect it is not among those.

anyhow, these side issues need another thread as they have nothing to do with picodos or mydos or 4.46, which the thread is about...

Edited by _The Doctor__

Which IDE controller were these Microdrives plugged into? SDX doesn't talk directly to the hard disk, as I mentioned, so it's useful to know which hardware we're talking about. My own experience of Microdrives (at least, of the one Kyle sent me) is that reading the status register at any point during the buffer transfer knocks the device out of 8-bit mode, making the device unusable on any hardware which doesn't doesn't have a 16-bit data register unless I remove the primitive error checking.

With the MyIDE devices I use a plain old IDE to CF cord, with the MIO and BB I use I/O Data and Acard devices. My buddy just plugs it in to his incognito without issue. On the x86 I use PCMCIA adapter (laptop) and CF to IDE for tower, the other is sata to cf.. and I toss them in and out of other CF devices at will, heck they even work in my printers cf card slot..

These are CF one and two compatible, the only ones that are not are the toshiba and certain made just for a manufacturer models like some apple drive....

Edited by _The Doctor__

It was making the error 144 on a READ attempt. Sometimes simply logging a different partition would do it. I have PROMPT $L$P> so it does a read every time a drive is logged. If I type DIR, I get Error 144, type DIR again and I get the expected result. very strange problem.