IGNORED

Introducing Project PEGASUS at PRGE and RetroWorldExpo 2018...

Update: Opcode Games is more than thrilled to share the first conceptual image of our upcoming OMNI console, by renowned video game designer Ted Mayer.

Opcode OMNI is a brand new super 8-bit video game console and we will start showing the games soon. If you are a fan of Atari era consoles and computers, we hope you will be pleasantly surprised.

5304f5f1ce04eac232f43678e2757b75.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the Omni the same size as a 15" laptop? Could I fit it in a backpack laptop sleeve?

I reviewed the SGM PRO video showing some of the new games planned for that unit....again. The Phoenix ship looks awesome.

You're right. I'm sorry. I guess I'm just tired of being disappointed time and time again. I've followed so many projects that just go nowhere or end up a big nothing, it's hard to be excited anymore. I'd really like to be, but I'm suffering from crowd funding or pre-release marketing fatigue. I followed that Dreamcade Replay recently, and that was not promising much at all in actually. Even with really realistic and practical plans, it ended up being nothing more than a mini PC somebody else made with a bunch of broken emulators at the end of the day. Don't get me started on Atari BS.

That is ok, I understand your frustration. As I said, we aren't a company, it is hard to guarantee anything a year from now, one of us could die, that would be the end of project. A company wouldn't be as vulnerable. But we will at least work hard and do our best to make this happen. We will see.. :)

• Like 1

I for one am a big fan of taking classic arcade games and sprucing them up a bit. Make em pretty and add a few new bells and whistles. Super Circus Atariage is a perfect example of taking a simple 2600 game and adding a perfect mix of old and new. If the Omni does games like this I'm on board for sure. I will throw out that I'd love to see a new port of Phoenix :D

I think you will be happy when you learn about something I and Thomas Jentzsch have been working on. It isn't Phoenix though. ;)

• Like 2

Update: Opcode Games is more than thrilled to share the first conceptual image of our upcoming OMNI console, by renowned video game designer Ted Mayer.

Opcode OMNI is a brand new super 8-bit video game console and we will start showing the games soon. If you are a fan of Atari era consoles and computers, we hope you will be pleasantly surprised.

5304f5f1ce04eac232f43678e2757b75.jpg

Ahem

2900-front.jpg

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/281728-atari-2900/

• Like 1

I gave Ted a number of references, none of them were Atari consoles (or any console for the matter), since I didn’t want to look like past consoles. We discussed many things, from Syd Mead (Syd and Ted went to same design school) to 80s industrial design to electronic musical instruments, and those are the influences I see in the above design. I got 6 concepts, but this the one that best incorporated those elements, especially electronic musical instruments that I was very specific about (something that invites you to play with).

Sounds great, but what about software? Is it compatible with something or will rely on open source/homebrew scene?

As far as I know, this system will rely completely on new games and considering the cost of homebrews, this is the most off putting factor. When you add shipping and convert to Canadian dollars, the homebrews come in at $95 to $105 each! If you want to know the actual games being developed, colecovision.dk has a list. I can't vouch for its accuracy but it's probably very accurate. They are as follows (copied and pasted from colecovision.dk) - Moon Patrol, Zaxxon, Ninja Kun, K.C. Munchkin!, Attack of the Timelord!, Pick Axe Pete!, Quest of the Rings and 1942 is under development in different stages.

Ed Averett will develop enhanced versions of some of his most popular 80's games for the upcoming Opcode OMNI console.

Ed Averett, is the man responsible for most of the best selling and best known Odyssey2 / Philips games back then.

Ed Averett will supervise development.

Games will be updated in all areas, graphics will be vastly improved, they will get proper soundtrack, better sound FX and voices, and gameplay will receive many new elements and things.

• Like 1

Price is surely a concern. All comes from production scale. Suppose a ColecoVision game sells 100 units average. If you can get a platform were the average sales number is twice, that means you can sell at a lower price and still have the same margins, because some of the costs aren't linear, like packaging, which can be mightily expensive in low runs. So yeah, ideally games should be $40 and under, and I will work hard to get the necessary installed base to make that happen from the onset.

As for the game list, the only games we have announced so far are Ed Averett's titles.

Price is surely a concern. All comes from production scale. Suppose a ColecoVision game sells 100 units average. If you can get a platform were the average sales number is twice, that means you can sell at a lower price and still have the same margins, because some of the costs aren't linear, like packaging, which can be mightily expensive in low runs. So yeah, ideally games should be $40 and under, and I will work hard to get the necessary installed base to make that happen from the onset.

As for the game list, the only games we have announced so far are Ed Averett's titles.

US$40 would be great. Especially if shipping didn't increase by the same amount for each item if ordering more than 1 game. As for the announced games, I am really looking forward to seeing new takes on Pick Axe Pete and Attack of the Timelord. I've never played them myself but watching videos of the originals, they look like my sort of games and I can imagine improved, 8 bit versions being a lot of fun.

• Like 1

I really hope you reconsider backwards compatibility with the Colecovision. I understand though if that is no longer an option with your new console and the decision is set in stone. I'm sure you know all to well that you will be loosing many interested parties by dropping the backwards compatibility.

I really hope you reconsider backwards compatibility with the Colecovision. I understand though if that is no longer an option with your new console and the decision is set in stone. I'm sure you know all to well that you will be loosing many interested parties by dropping the backwards compatibility.

Yes, I understand. But I believe I will also be getting people outside the CV scene. I am not leaving the CV scene, just distancing myself from constant drama.

The promethius project is the one that's coleco vision compatible.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/263010-project-prometheus-a-new-colecovision-compatible-console/

The pegasus/omni and promethius(lite) projects are based on different chipsets.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/281045-opcode-update-request-july-2018/?p=4077945

• 2 weeks later...

On a related note, thanks for the opportunity to purchase a SGM recently on this last run... on the other hand there seems to be no games currently available to purchase for it and that really sucks. Hope your customer support and timing is better with this project. My shiny new SGM makes a wonderful paperweight.. :(

On a related note, thanks for the opportunity to purchase a SGM recently on this last run... on the other hand there seems to be no games currently available to purchase for it and that really sucks. Hope your customer support and timing is better with this project. My shiny new SGM makes a wonderful paperweight.. :(

See my signature below. ;)

Some pictures of the event:

cb68397d0aab12fa6e4d9c8602b071bb.jpg

1f2bb4aec6943d5934061f9f743bfe54.jpg

b8089b3b24e0f1fc24cb75673010c2fd.jpg

Why are all the chip labels obscured and/or photoshopped out? Not trying to cause trouble, but I suggest not using 1990's era chips like that 64 pin shrink DIP. Unless you have a huge stock of known good ones, getting those in production is going to be extremely difficult. Going by the specs, it's probably one of those Yamaha MSX(2) chips like a Y8950. Those are going to be unobtanium for anything over a few dozen to hundred boards. Your supplier might give you a "chip shaped object" with the correct number laser engraved on it but it will be different silicon, rejects, or worse. I've been burned by this before and it wasn't fun. Anyways, keep up the good work!

btw, the NES has 5 audio channels, and the SMS has 4.

• Like 1

Hey Opcode, I had a question, I noticed you are using FM synthesis.. have you considered doing General MIDI in addition? GM sounds so much better and uses a wavetable to make great music from bog standard MIDI files.

I am not sure if General MIDI even works with 8 bit processors or can be, but if it was possible would really make some beautiful music.

For those folks who don't really know what the difference can be here is a quick video from youtube...

FM Starts from the beginning of the video

General MIDI starts from time code of 2 Minutes and 47 sec.. if you want to jump to it...

I would love to see a plug in General MIDI card for consoles like Sega Master System or Sega Genesis, as I think it would be amazing to hear music on it.

Just a thought.. not sure it is possible but would be a real nice to have..

General MIDI is just note data. That note data can be translated for playback by, among other things, FM synthesizers like the Yamaha OPL3 or a sample player like the Gravis Ultrasound. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Ya know a General MIDI or some sort of user port on a console that allowed people to connect the console to a Musical Keyboard for General MIDI would be awesome too.. I could only imagine how fun interfacing MIDI into a console for music software games or programming or just playing GM MIDI or extra effects to enhance a game... very cool..

I would think something like extra beautiful orchestrated music on some games would be amazing..

Edited by imstarryeyed