IGNORED

i have an idea for a mini arcade machine!

memelord

namco should make a mini arcade machine..... THAT YOU PUT YOUR PHONE IN! it's simple. you slide your phone in, activate the machine using bluetooth, and then you can play PAC-MAN ON YOUR PHONE IN AN ARCADE CABINET! there should be 3 designs: pac-man, galaga, and dig dug. any comments?

And thus the wheel was reinvented. :D

Beat me to pointing that one out, and it's not even all that great either as iCade products are kind of hit and miss typically needing support for them to be added to an app to even be useful. I had one of their earlier barcade sized units for tablets I found at a flea market and it ended up being a toddlers toy.

I stuck a netbook in mine, boxed it in and made a dedicated mini mame cab

I only paid 99 cents for it too

bad part is I replaced the side art with something that resembles a frogger machine, but I was never happy with it so I started to remove the sticker i printed and it started buggering up the woodgrain vinyl I used, more accurately the clear coat I used and trying to sand it back down I buggered up the woodgrain .... long story short I said F it and ripped both sides back down to bare paperboard and waiting for a new roll from china to show up

this time around I have better sticker material to work with and a xy knife plotter (ps printable vinyl sucks ass as it scratches easier than cheap acrylic and that was the main problem, this time I am going with good quality sticker paper ... irronicly enough has better color than the printable vinyl anyway)

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

That's really not a bad idea if you can find cheaply one of those old original ipad2 sized icade mini cabs. Enough mobile computers have plenty of external USB ports, at worst a hub could be powered too, and that'll get you the keyboard, mouse and the rest needed that can then just be removed or tucked away. Any average cheapo laptop could handle so many MAME games you wouldn't know what to do with it.

yea the acer I got is a 1.6ghz atom with intel video, actually had an IDE drive so I bumped that from 30 to 120 gig

I wired the buttons and controller to a generic usb gamepad board, which left me 2 usb which I ran to the front with some panel mount A male to A female cables.

that computer with 2 gigs of ram running linux and advance mame does fine up to the early 3d games, and I got it for 28bucks shipped or something silly off ebay

• Like 2

I had one of those and used the same generic pc controller to make it USB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SteelSeries-USB-Game-Controller-1GC-69000-Wired-USB-for-PC-Mac/253439179187?epid=141256570&hash=item3b0226f9b3:g:bfAAAOSwWY5ai7wB

as a side note those are actually half decent controllers if you dont want analog support, that was just the first link I saw but I have gotten them for like 9 bucks in the past

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

I have an iCade Core, which is just the joystick panel and a slot for an iPad. The original iPad is easily jailbroken and worthless for trade in so it makes a nice display for MAME

Are there current instructions for that? I have an iCade on the side here (with an old ipad 2) just wasting space. It used to work pretty well with Mame, etc.(albeit somewhat slowly).. But last I tried it it refused to start.

Are there current instructions for that? I have an iCade on the side here (with an old ipad 2) just wasting space. It used to work pretty well with Mame, etc.(albeit somewhat slowly).. But last I tried it it refused to start.

For what? Installing jailbreak and Cydia store?

Probably depends what version of the OS you have. My iPad original is stuck on iOS 4 I think.

Maybe start here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redsn0w

yea the acer I got is a 1.6ghz atom with intel video, actually had an IDE drive so I bumped that from 30 to 120 gig

I wired the buttons and controller to a generic usb gamepad board, which left me 2 usb which I ran to the front with some panel mount A male to A female cables.

that computer with 2 gigs of ram running linux and advance mame does fine up to the early 3d games, and I got it for 28bucks shipped or something silly off ebay

I like your design. I recently found a computer at goodwill with more or less that specs I gave to my daughter as her first for some semi to fully learning style programs. I could see just eyeballing it how that could easily make for a wicked mini-arcade cabinet as long as you're sticking to something realistic power wise, say like PS1 potential and under for arcade stuff. It's just like that entirely, an acer aspire One and I added the extra ram taking it to 2GB max yet it's a little older running windows XP though 7 could be easily added. Now if you do go that route you did with linux that would eat up some serious windows overhead leaving more for the real stuff (arcade.)

Also flojo is right, that first iPad maybe weak by gaming mobile standards now, but unlike later revisions it's easily busted open if you know how to jailbreak ios and there are some really capable MAME program builds for that too so it would as well work in that situation with an iCade device. I still like the PC angle with linux or even windows better.