IGNORED

Atari 2600 can support Autofire joysticks?

Blackgear

I'm a little scared to try to use a QuicksShot QS128 on my 2600 after a RIOT fault happened just when I've try to use a QS joystick I've try to repair.

The QS I've used has the 9Pin cable cutted out and I've tried to replace it (without a wiring scheme, cannot find anything on internet, trying to deduce the pins with a multimeter).

I'm quite sure I've wired right the pins of the replacement cable... but after that RIOT failure I'm not so sure.

Maybe is wired right and the QS ask too much current on the 5v pin? or it have a short circuit.. It can be.

I've found another used QS (untested but with original cable) but I'm not sure to buy it to play with the 2600.

There's someone who use Autofire Joysticks without trouble?

Edited by Blackgear

You ever tested it on a 2600?

No, but I've never seen a Sega product that that WASN'T compatible with Atari/C64/whatever else uses that connector.

And vice versa. IE you once you press START on a Sega Controller to start Sonic the Hhedgehog, you can swap the pad for a CX-40 and play Sonic since it only needs one button to jump, and Atari's red button correlates to the B button on Sega Genesis (or the 1 button on SMS meaning you can play that version of Sonic straight up with a CX-40)

I've always found it funny that the Sega 6-Button pad has troubles with a select few SMS titles, but NO issues with any VCS games that I know of!

AND if you modify a 6-Button button controller to work all SMS games (cut the grey wire) it WILL now have issues with VCS games!!!

Side note, the C button on a Sega Genesis pad acts as a digital version of the Paddle controller!

I've often wondered if, with a fast enough turbo function, could you have that paddle whipping left and right so fast that would games like Kaboom! and Breakout become impossible to lose?

Edited by Torr

No. The paddles are polled thoughout a frame. The faster you move the knob, the more pixels are skipped before drawing the sprite's next position. If you are able to turn it fast enough, the player-controlled sprite is all the way on one border for a frame, then all the way on the opposite corner on the next. All those bombs in the center of the screen are still falling.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had(and still have it)a Pointmaster back in the day with the autofire adaptor. Never had a problem. I now have 2 Pointmasters and a few adaptors. Haven't used them in like 30 years though. May have to dust them off. Like I said, they worked great back in the day.