IGNORED

Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana

Tanooki

I can't be the only one playing this a little each day at the moment am I?

I know it's multiplatform but the Switch release seems to be racking up some very incredibly high and complimentary reviews for it so far and not just because how it looks and performs but based on the actual game itself. It's a decent stray away from all those Ys games I've played over the years from the old 1-3, and then the various remakes and masters, origin, ys3 remake, and other on GoG too. It's almost like some mini breath of the wild, base defense, harvesting of goods reward system game with a lot of really solid exploration involved too. Nothing really feels too forced or jarring outside of having to rush back to base in case of some lame monster raid.

It's actually sitting in my switch as I type. I popped it in there two days ago waiting for some time off to get into it. That time will be tomorrow ;) Been a big Ys fan since the SMS days and I was so happy to see this arrive on the Switch. Got it on launch day :) From what I have seen the game looks gorgeous.

You go way back with it too. My first was in the mid 90s with the Ys Book 1+2 on TGCD which is a hell of an intro to the series with how it handled and that stunning sound track. I have meddled with the SMS one too, Famicom, and others as the oldest games got pushed around the most by far.

Ys8 though is incredible with some really solid play mechanics going on and the story with subplots and twists are quite interesting as you build up this community in the game.

• 4 weeks later...

I had about two weeks off it because I've been for a long stretch now going through a demotivational phase. I think about doing Ys (or whatever) today, plan it for a couple hours out, then don't start but think in just another few min/hours, and then I don't. I have the hardest time starting games anymore, but when I do I can go for an hour or hours. I did that 2 days ago for like 2-3hours, planned to play yesterday and never did. Maybe I'll be better about it today. I just had to last night fight off this raid with a huge red primordial dragon type creature just after finding out basically the games version of jack the ripper is on the island. I'm curious to see where that goes.

• 7 months later...

After listening to Hugues talk about YS games on the Retro League Podcast for many years I feel like I need to give this one a shot. Hugues did recently start another podcast called Retro Game Club. It’s actually pretty good. It’s funny that it’s with another Co host named Rob.

• 5 months later...