IGNORED

New 800xl owner

xucaen

My 800xl arrived today! I'm surprised at how clean it is. It came with a tv switch box, 3 games (Asteroids,Pac Man, Pole Position) and a TAC-2 joystick.

I ran the memory tests and everything seems ok. Played all 3 games and they all work. Picture and sounds are clear and crisp. I feel very fortunate I found it. I can't wait to get Star Raiders. :-)

post-6228-0-63529000-1530730912_thumb.jpg

post-6228-0-07167300-1530730925_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Excellent! And that TAC-2 is highly sought after by discerning retro-gamers. :)

I'm not sure why. They weren't very durable and I went through half a dozen of these joysticks back in the day. They were good for about 2 months but it was always the same problem, shaft broke and issues with buttons.

The ZipStick and Competition Pro were the joysticks to have.

Edited by shoestring
  • Like 2

I'm not sure why. They weren't very durable and I went through half a dozen of these joysticks back in the day. They were good for about 2 months but it was always the same problem, shaft broke and issues with buttons.

Really? They're dead simple inside and built like tanks. I use mine all the time and have for years.

• Like 1

Yes. Maybe I was just too rough with them as a 12yr old kid :)

But some of those c64 games required fairly rough movement of the joystick.. especially the sports related games (Summer games , World Games, Track & Field, Hypersports... Etc)

Edited by shoestring

I just received a composite cable from Best and I noticed something that didn't show up when using RF. The picture is clear but with scrolling lines... Until it warms up then there lines go away. I'm guessing capacitors need replacing our maybe solder joints need reflowing? I don't want to rush should that myself... I already have 3 2600 boards that I'm waiting to do the caps. I'm amateur at soldering.

Bad AC filtering in a power supply can cause what you've described. Is there a buzzing sound associated with that ?

I hear a buzz over the TV speakers until the unit warms up then the sounds and picture clear up. Here is a photo of my power supply. I read on Best Electronics that the repairable power supplies have 4 screws on the bottom underneath removable pads. Mine doesn't have them. So I'm thinking it might be worth it to pick up a new power supply...

post-6228-0-06657800-1531090966_thumb.jpg

post-6228-0-38800400-1531090980_thumb.jpg

Agree with last two comments. The "rolling lines" described is a symptom of AC ripple making its way into the DC circuit because of failing components inside the PSU.

Cut off the chord from the end of the supply that plugs into the back of the Atari and keep it as a spare for a new supply ( that's what I do ).

Then toss the rest of the supply in the bin.

• Like 3